Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Bendigo.

Moving to Bendigo.

Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:28 am
Just Joined

JanieG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bendigo.

This weekend my husband moved from our home in Sydney to Bendigo to start a new job. We (myself and 2 children) will follow him down in a couple of months once we've sorted out a house sale, schools and other admin things.

So, my question is, are there any other Bendigoans out there? If so, please make contact. I'd love to start a network before we move down from the big smoke.

Here's hoping !

Jane
Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bendigo.

I've been to Bendigo a couple of times with work, my company has a large site there. Its a nice old country town and has some good restaurants and bars, not sure about schools etc but it looks ok.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

How old are the children? I have a friend who moved to bendigo from Beaumaris earlier this year. She may be a good contact. I will ask her.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:22 am
Just Joined

JanieG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Hebe,

Our boys are 6 & 11. Thank you for the potential contact.....

J x
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Former not current Bendigonian here. We had 5 very good years there and can say it is a great place to live, get involved in big regional town life and bring up a family. We thought when we moved there that we would miss the bright lights of Melbourne more and more but found we missed them less and less as we made a life for ourselves there. Sport helped a lot and we met many friends through tennis, soccer and our jobs (what was Bendigo Technical College, now part of BriTAFE for me and Girton College my wife).

The schools were good then and I'm sure that hasn't changed and it will depend of course on where you choose to live as to what schools the children will attend. You will find that property is ridiculously cheap compared to Sydney (and Melbourne), both on the rental and buying side. I can recommend the east side of town, we lived in Strathdale; leafy and just a mile or two to the centre.

Good luck on the move; you'll love it. Nice dry heat compared to Sydney too but can get very hot in summer!

Last edited by OzTennis; Aug 18th 2013 at 2:46 pm.