Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving before rental agreement is up?

moving before rental agreement is up?

Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:06 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving before rental agreement is up?

mmmmmm seems this could cost small fortune!!

Anyone done this and it worked out not so expensive for them? My heads thinking methodically but then there is a whole host of things thrown in the mixture.............

We want to move and rentls are quite tight, we live in one suburb and my kids go to school in another suburb, long story, our plan of our rental being near our kids school didn't work out for us at the 11th hour, flipping principal (wouldn't mind he was only....... acting principal!) funny that isn't it when they say......... acting principal, acting manager, they either are or they are not?

Anyway back to my thread................moving through your own choice before rental agreement is up, please share your experiences

Carmel
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving before rental agreement is up?

We broke leases twice, each time we got our deposit back in full, we also paid rent up front for the total lease and got back what we hadnt used so to speak.

Maybe we were lucky, but our agents never charged us for marketing or anything and they got tenants in pretty much straight away.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We moved out 8 weeks before the lease ran out, giving her 2 weeks notice before that. They got another tenant in 2 weeks before the lease ran out so we were stuck paying rent for 6 weeks at $280. We also paid advertising costs and a re-letting fee.

Cost us $1840 altogether
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:51 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

We broke a lease and the letting agents managed to find tenants to take over. They would have charged us the $700 per week rent though if they hadnt.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Australia Immigration will become famous soon enough

Hi Carmel

It relative to how much time you have left and the cost ......... can you afford the cost ?

If not , you could off-set this by advertising yourself and perhaps even in the area you wish to live - who knows you might have somebody happy to swap with you - and present the problem and the solution to your landlord, once you have a replacement.

Kind regards

Chris
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Hi

We broke a lease, and the landlord was nice enough to let us off without any charges or costs, just handed back the keys on the date we had given, no fuss.

Storms
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:33 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

We broke ours at 4 months out of 6

Had to pay for carpet cleans and bug spray as that was in the lease

Had to pay 1 weeks rent as reletting fee.

Had to pay for any weeks for when it was empty.

Lucky it was empty for 1 week, so paid for 2 weeks + cleans+bug.

Got the full bond back.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:35 am

Can pay it but can't really afford it if you know what i mean we can all think of better ways to spend our money than in charges, but that's the price i'll have to pay i suppose!

Some sound like they have been lucky and others...... mmmmm

Wendy I have a sneaking suspicion what happened to you will maybe happen to us, talk about looking on the bright side! just feel it in my water!

OH has emailed everyone in their work and everyone has passed it on so hopefully we will get some joy

yeh carpet cleaning..........!

Carmel
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmele
Can pay it but can't really afford it if you know what i mean we can all think of better ways to spend our money than in charges, but that's the price i'll have to pay i suppose!

Some sound like they have been lucky and others...... mmmmm

Wendy I have a sneaking suspicion what happened to you will maybe happen to us, talk about looking on the bright side! just feel it in my water!

OH has emailed everyone in their work and everyone has passed it on so hopefully we will get some joy

yeh carpet cleaning..........!

Carmel
I was going to advertise it myself, but just didn't get time.

My agent was a complete waste of space and she wasn't rushing, so you'll probably be alright (just hope you haven't got a lazy twat like us )

On the plus side we got our full bond back with no hassles - so it wasn't all bad.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmele
mmmmmm seems this could cost small fortune!!

Anyone done this and it worked out not so expensive for them? My heads thinking methodically but then there is a whole host of things thrown in the mixture.............

We want to move and rentls are quite tight, we live in one suburb and my kids go to school in another suburb, long story, our plan of our rental being near our kids school didn't work out for us at the 11th hour, flipping principal (wouldn't mind he was only....... acting principal!) funny that isn't it when they say......... acting principal, acting manager, they either are or they are not?

Anyway back to my thread................moving through your own choice before rental agreement is up, please share your experiences

Carmel
We got charged for final inspection - $70
charged for extraordinary water meter reading (two days after normal reading) $15 (only admin cost, no water consumption)
I cleaned the property myself and saved the $400 quoted
paid $85 for compulsory carpet clean by designated company chosen by agents
paid daily fee from August till end of lease (28 dec) $170
paid for garden beds to be weeded and sprayed and lawns cut by designated gardener chosen by agents $120
three weeks rent while waiting for them to pull their fingers out and let the waiting new tenant move in $840

Shocking allround - the whole rental experience here was rather unpleasant for us so pushed us into buying much earlier than what we was planning to do and got a much larger mortgage than what we wanted just to get away from them.

Anyway - wish you all the best in your negotiations - our fees were non-negotiable and all listed in the lease so no fighting it.

Paula
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:00 pm

mmmmmm we're just trying to go from one rental to another as well! OH is gonna call rental agents today to see whats what and hopefully if we can find somebody to rent this we will be all straightforward

Carmel