Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Moving Back to the UK forum

The Moving Back to the UK forum

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:12 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Moving Back to the UK forum

I have been on BE for about 4 months now and just stumbled across the Moving Back to the UK forum. There are some really sad stories on there about people who dreamt for years of emigrating to Australia etc and after just a few months had to face coming back to the UK, largely it seems because the woman couldn't settle. It makes you think. Although the last thing I need is yet another forum to occupy my time, I will use it as a confirmation exercise from time to time.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:22 pm
Merlot

Default Re: The Moving Back to the UK forum

Hi Worzel

I have said it on a few occasions but I reckon that those that post on the Going Home site should post here, not to give a downer to those with dreams and plans, but another angle. It is an interesting site to read from time to time.

The reality is sometimes those that have posted "We are going home, Australia was not for us" on the Australian site can slated for their views (with a mix of sympathy).

I would like to know how many that post on expats going to Oz come back on to say things didn't work out and we are going back?

I know janeyray did and power to her. I don't think we see the true picture of the difficulties and hardships of giving it all up in the UK.

There is more to it than the mortgage free house, flash cars and change of pace. Some swim, some sink. An yes I think it is the females that can find it harder, maybe the missing bond with their Mum's/Female friends in UK.

Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:26 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hi Worzel

I have said it on a few occasions but I reckon that those that post on the Going Home site should post here, not to give a downer to those with dreams and plans, but another angle. It is an interesting site to read from time to time.

The reality is sometimes those that have posted "We are going home, Australia was not for us" on the Australian site can slated for their views (with a mix of sympathy).

I would like to know how many that post on expats going to Oz come back on to say things didn't work out and we are going back?

I know janeyray did and power to her. I don't think we see the true picture of the difficulties and hardships of giving it all up in the UK.

There is more to it than the mortgage free house, flash cars and change of pace. Some swim, some sink. An yes I think it is the females that can find it harder, maybe the missing bond with their Mum's/Female friends in UK.

Merlot
I suppose it is to be expected that those for whom it doesn't work don't need to use a forum so much to go back somewhere they already know. Also it is something you would hardly want to go around shouting about. I guess it is only those at either extreme (either going back reluctantly and want to help others avoid the pitfalls or those that hated it) that we will hear from.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
I have been on BE for about 4 months now and just stumbled across the Moving Back to the UK forum. There are some really sad stories on there about people who dreamt for years of emigrating to Australia etc and after just a few months had to face coming back to the UK, largely it seems because the woman couldn't settle. It makes you think. Although the last thing I need is yet another forum to occupy my time, I will use it as a confirmation exercise from time to time.
I also found that forum the other day for the first time. Certainly gives you food for thought. But whats a girl to do??? Im too far along this rocky road to turn back now so although i think its good to get a balanced view would it really put that much of a different perspective on it (being aware of the negatives)?

Im sure most of us realise that we have as much chance of it working as not....thats why its so scary at times. All we can do is give it our best shot really ....and hopefully support each other as much as poss
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:33 pm
Merlot

Tis true Worzel.

I found it invaluable as far as advice and support on our return to the UK last year, questions about cat transport, renting houses, finding work and the like. 7 years did not seem long away, but things change so much. Plus it can be a good sounding board.

I think everything in balance, this is why many of us that have returned to the UK post here on the Australian Forum, to give both sides of the coin as well as offer any free advice we can - plus I have a slow work month, so bugger all else to do!

No-one wants to put down anyone living their dream, just scatter a little reality every now and again. Both countries are both fabulous and crap all at the same time.

M

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:36 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by desperate2go
I also found that forum the other day for the first time. Certainly gives you food for thought. But whats a girl to do??? Im too far along this rocky road to turn back now so although i think its good to get a balanced view would it really put that much of a different perspective on it (being aware of the negatives)?

Im sure most of us realise that we have as much chance of it working as not....thats why its so scary at times. All we can do is give it our best shot really ....and hopefully support each other as much as poss
Like everything is life, it is a risk but if you are determined to make it work, it will, no questions about that.

Yes, the negatives, make your own judgements and you won't be far off the mark.

It is a good place to look when you get to Oz if you feel it is not working. You can bounce ideas and maybe speak to like minded folks.

You have a lot to pat yourself on the back for getting this far, I wish you well.

Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Merlot
Tis true Worzel.

I found it invaluable as far as advice and support on our return to the UK last year, questions about cat transport, renting houses, finding work and the like. 7 years did not seem long away, but things change so much. Plus it can be a good sounding board.

I think everything in balance, this is why many of us that have returned to the UK post here on the Australian Forum, to give both sides of the coin as well as offer any free advice we can - plus I have a slow work month, so bugger all else to do!

No-one wants to put down anyone living their dream, just scatter a little reality every now and again. Both countries are both fabulous and crap all at the same time.

M

What were the main reasons for returning after so long Merlot
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:45 pm
Merlot

What were the main reasons for returning after so long Merlot
Missed my family, I came over to Australia in 1997 on a working holiday visa, married my husband and only went back for a 4 week holiday in 1999. We could not afford to come back more often.

It was getting photo's sent of birthday parties and family get togethers that got me. I missed two half sister go from babies to ladies.

I was lucky to spend 6 months with my Nan before she died very quickly last Sept, they can take everything from you but those memories.

I had many friends, supportive husband and a good job in Aussie but felt lonely and isolated, very hard to describe, something in the belly that aches. It has gone now I am back.

I only miss my friends, blue skys and sun (not heat or humidity), though we do plan a return in around 2007 to Queensland way which contradicts my hating of heat!!! I think the time is right to start again there and then. Mind life can change.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:25 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Have just been reading some of the posts on the returning to the UK forum, and I feel for so many of them.
After wanting something so much and going through the ups and down of applying, it’s such a shame to realise that it not for you after all. But I think that it should not be looked on as failure, to do what we are doing is a big thing, but to go through it all and then come back takes a lot of courage.
Australia is not for everyone, but like anything in life you don’t know till you’ve tried it!
Better to have tried and failed that to have never tried.

Good luck to us all.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: The Moving Back to the UK forum

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
But I think that it should not be looked on as failure, to do what we are doing is a big thing, but to go through it all and then come back takes a lot of courage.
Australia is not for everyone, but like anything in life you don’t know till you’ve tried it!

Good luck to us all.
I'll definately to that
Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:58 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by worzel
l call it the Whinging Pom Forum. There was one women who decided to quit
OZ after only 3 weeks here and said hereself that she was prepared to make no effort to settling into a new country. Its obvious that most of those people were going to fail in OZ before they even got here, they should never have been allowed into the country in the first place unless they were prepared to make a real effort to adapt to living in a new country.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:00 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Have just been reading some of the posts on the returning to the UK forum, and I feel for so many of them.
After wanting something so much and going through the ups and down of applying, it’s such a shame to realise that it not for you after all. But I think that it should not be looked on as failure, to do what we are doing is a big thing, but to go through it all and then come back takes a lot of courage.

Good luck to us all.
Here, here.

M

Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wombat42
OZ after only 3 weeks here and said hereself that she was prepared to make no effort to settling into a new country. Its obvious that most of those people were going to fail in OZ before they even got here, they should never have been allowed into the country in the first place unless they were prepared to make a real effort to adapt to living down here.
I wouldnt worry yourself about it- more money into Australia isnt it
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:06 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by wombat42
OZ after only 3 weeks here and said hereself that she was prepared to make no effort to settling into a new country. Its obvious that most of those people were going to fail in OZ before they even got here, they should never have been allowed into the country in the first place unless they were prepared to make a real effort to adapt to living down here.
Now, now Wombat42, Whinging Pom's are everywhere, even on this Forum.

On the Going Back Forum there is a mix of those that have been away from the UK longer than have lived there and the recently lefts.

What I ask if have you done something and as you do it regretted it? Sh*t happens.

Sometimes people get swept up in it all, sometimes people say yes when they mean no, sometimes spouses want to go and the other half does not have the confidence to say not it for me. Many variables.

If the Forum makes you feel it is full of Whinging Poms, just leave them too it. If they get benefit out of it, job done!!!! Dreams and then the reality can be very different.

Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:06 pm
wombat42

I wouldnt worry yourself about it- more money into Australia isnt it
Thats a good point. They probably spend a lot more money down here then tourists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.