Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving back to uk but not 100%

Moving back to uk but not 100%

Old Dec 4th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Moving back to uk but not 100%

Just wondering how many on here came to oz and ended up back in uk if so how long did it last?
i always wanted to make the move here since my backpacking days over 10 yrs ago and the many times on holidays.
Came on or with got her or while here.
Its coming up to 2yrs on June 2015 and as much as I wanted to get here I left it till about 3 months before my pr visa was due to expire.
Or should I say before I would be too late in getting in.
working here in my trade 10 yrs ago while backpacking and seeing the jobs advertised here I thought I cant go wrong more so on the projects that was going on previous to coming and while being here.
But to be honest it maybe time for me to call it a day see to the end of my lease or head off sooner.
As nice as it is nice weather etc etc the work needs to be there and ongoing.
In the 23 yrs in the industry and over this time hardly out of work the odd few months here and there over that time it's been pretty sweet back there for me.

It was always a worry what if it does not work out,what if there is not enough work etc.
in the 17 months of being here I have only had about 4 months work if that.
Pretty sick of just getting the odd job here and there and nothing more steady,getting messed around and the endless applying for jobs and some not even getting back to you etc.
Each and everytime having to get a medical.
There has been a lot of bad timing on some work and just as said being promised but nothing.
i do find they could not care less of there workers here ok they are not 100% at home but I find they care more and I myself I hardly need to call them they are always calling me asking if I want work.

But it's like I sold my house left funds in uk to see how it went here,ok it's something but not enough to buy a house here and with getting silly jobs here the way it's going I just wanna own again and I'm not getting any younger.
i know I would pretty much get work asap if moved back home it's such a carry on here to get on one and on the jobs I have been on the guys around me have way less yrs in the industry or experience and even guys in charge of me and above,it's really opened my eyes coming here and seeing these guys on the jobs while I keep trying etc.

As much as it would be nice to stay here I think the lack of work I have been offered etc has just put me off and it's just got worse by being annoyed buy there driving here to many other things,ok most don't settle and some never do,but I do wonder if oz was ever for me.

Unless things get much better soon then it's time to go back me thinks,As I really can't go on like this I have done pretty well supporting my wife and bub and savings have taken a huge hit but if I move back I know I be back on my feet soon again.i rather be broke I think in uk near family than over here with none.

Such a waste of a pr for us and shame it was not 2yrs for citizenship as feel it would not have been a complete waste coming over here but hope we are not those ones that want to come back to oz wishing we never left in first place.
God it's a hard one.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to uk but not 100%

Originally Posted by brian.w
Just wondering how many on here came to oz and ended up back in uk if so how long did it last?
i always wanted to make the move here since my backpacking days over 10 yrs ago and the many times on holidays.
Came on or with got her or while here.
Its coming up to 2yrs on June 2015 and as much as I wanted to get here I left it till about 3 months before my pr visa was due to expire.
Or should I say before I would be too late in getting in.
working here in my trade 10 yrs ago while backpacking and seeing the jobs advertised here I thought I cant go wrong more so on the projects that was going on previous to coming and while being here.
But to be honest it maybe time for me to call it a day see to the end of my lease or head off sooner.
As nice as it is nice weather etc etc the work needs to be there and ongoing.
In the 23 yrs in the industry and over this time hardly out of work the odd few months here and there over that time it's been pretty sweet back there for me.

It was always a worry what if it does not work out,what if there is not enough work etc.
in the 17 months of being here I have only had about 4 months work if that.
Pretty sick of just getting the odd job here and there and nothing more steady,getting messed around and the endless applying for jobs and some not even getting back to you etc.
Each and everytime having to get a medical.
There has been a lot of bad timing on some work and just as said being promised but nothing.
i do find they could not care less of there workers here ok they are not 100% at home but I find they care more and I myself I hardly need to call them they are always calling me asking if I want work.

But it's like I sold my house left funds in uk to see how it went here,ok it's something but not enough to buy a house here and with getting silly jobs here the way it's going I just wanna own again and I'm not getting any younger.
i know I would pretty much get work asap if moved back home it's such a carry on here to get on one and on the jobs I have been on the guys around me have way less yrs in the industry or experience and even guys in charge of me and above,it's really opened my eyes coming here and seeing these guys on the jobs while I keep trying etc.

As much as it would be nice to stay here I think the lack of work I have been offered etc has just put me off and it's just got worse by being annoyed buy there driving here to many other things,ok most don't settle and some never do,but I do wonder if oz was ever for me.

Unless things get much better soon then it's time to go back me thinks,As I really can't go on like this I have done pretty well supporting my wife and bub and savings have taken a huge hit but if I move back I know I be back on my feet soon again.i rather be broke I think in uk near family than over here with none.

Such a waste of a pr for us and shame it was not 2yrs for citizenship as feel it would not have been a complete waste coming over here but hope we are not those ones that want to come back to oz wishing we never left in first place.
God it's a hard one.
I'm not too familiar with your visa situation, but as I said in other thread moving to a place where a visa is required is always a risk. They can kick you out anytime, so will it really ever be home? Only you can answer that question. If it's important for you to own a home and you know you'll never get it over there, don't waste more time and money. If you can make a living in the UK, you can still go to Australia for holidays and there are other nice places to visit.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Brian I feel for you. Moses, Brian has a permanent resident's visa so unless he does something very bad, Australia won't be kicking him out.

Brian, if you could at least make it to two years in Australia, that will enable you to get a five year RRV. Then after no more than three years after you leave, you could apply for another RRV (if the rules don't change before then). That effectively extends your PR for another 8 years in case you change your mind and decide to give it another go......
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Brian I feel for you. Moses, Brian has a permanent resident's visa so unless he does something very bad, Australia won't be kicking him out.

Brian, if you could at least make it to two years in Australia, that will enable you to get a five year RRV. Then after no more than three years after you leave, you could apply for another RRV (if the rules don't change before then). That effectively extends your PR for another 8 years in case you change your mind and decide to give it another go......
Ok, but will it make things easier? I don't know and it depends how much you love Australia. Maybe a different career could be a solution.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Brian you don't seem to have had much fun here since you arrived. Finding regular work is the most important factor in migration (for most people) and if you cannot do it here and have better chances in the UK, then I think there is where you need to be.

Can you really be sure you would find something there though? Is it worth tapping up your old contacts now and seeing if you can get something lined up for your return. You might regret going back if you find yourself in the same position there.

Getting to two years is a good idea if you can, but it is another seven months and so will be costly, unless you can find another short term role to see it through.

Don't concern yourself with what other people have done, who has moved back and who has not. Do what is right for you.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brian

Sorry to hear about how your feeling, its a hard move to make at times even with a job etc. We knew lots of people who moved back to the UK (Europe) from Aus for one reason or another most are settled back in their homelands and some are unsettled.....that's life really, what YOU have to decide is ....do you want to stay in Aus until things get better? the "you never know what might happen tomorrow" might happen to you ie a good job around the corner, if you really want to stay in Aus cannot you look at other line of work or re train? Good look with your choice, we have been home since 2010 and we have not regretted it but that's us. ps I always thought that backpackers had a great look at life in Aus but its not always REAL life
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

If I do end up going back that was what I was hoping to do try and get the 2yrs in and get the rrv.what was that you said Louie about 3yrs after I leave I can apply for another rrv?is this possible?
I thought you could only get one rrv before leaving and after that tough luck.
It's a shame the citizenship changed to 4yrs from the 2yrs and would have been nice to have had that.
Maybe it's just not the right time for me in australia or maybe like some it's not what I want,I suppose the work and stress of it all etc and nothing changing much has had its toll.
I sure have had it sweet back in uk all them years but it just is not happening over here.
In fact I would say I'm going backwards,feels like I'm starting all over again in my career here which to be honest I did not hope for.
I'm told I can qualify for citizenship June 2016 but if things carry on like they are I be well go.
My wife did not get her pr same time as me she got granted this through me just this year so I'm taking that when her or visa runs out 5 yrs time will she be able also to apply outside oz for another 5 yrs.
It's good to have the option of coming back more so all the money spent on visas.
But things would really need to suck and be very bad to return back to oz again I'm not sure how people can go back and forth.
My biggest issue is my lease comes to an end in June again second yrs in here and I would need to know what my plans are long before then as in getting sorted for going back and the agents I'm sure will want to know if I'm staying or going.
Then I'm tied into another yr lease.
I had hoped to have had my own place long before now but it's just not happening as getting silly short term jobs.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If I do end up going back that was what I was hoping to do try and get the 2yrs in and get the rrv.what was that you said Louie about 3yrs after I leave I can apply for another rrv?is this possible?
It's a shame the citizenship changed to 4yrs from the 2yrs and would have been nice to have had that.
Maybe it's just not the right time for me in australia or maybe like some it's not what I want,I suppose the work and stress of it all etc and nothing changing much has had its toll.
I sure have had it sweet back in uk all them years but it just is not happening over here.
In fact I would say I'm going backwards,feels like I'm starting all over again in my career here which to be honest I did not hope for.
I'm told I can qualify for citizenship June 2016 but if things carry on like they are I be well go.
My wife did not get her pr same time as me she got granted this through me just this year so I'm taking that when her or visa runs out 5 yrs time will she be able also to apply outside oz for another 5 yrs.
It's good to have the option of coming back more so all the money spent on visas.
But things would really need to suck and be very bad to return back to oz again I'm not sure how people can go back and forth.
My biggest issue is my lease comes to an end in June again second yrs in here and I would need to know what my plans are long before then as in getting sorted for going back and the agents I'm sure will want to know if I'm staying or going.
Then I'm tied into another yr lease.
I had hoped to have had my own place long before now but it's just not happening as getting silly short term jobs.
Have you tested the current UK market?

You are a long way of citizenship, it can take another six months even after you qualify. Can you live on savings that long? You could torment yourself with options anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Its been pretty much good last 23 yrs back in uk it sure was not work that made me move just a dream of mine to live here.i know a guy who came over before me did a yr and went back has no regrets, he got sick of applying for jobs, being told start right away but was weeks later and other reasons.
Within a few weeks of him going back he got right into it again.
I just feel my experience and where I have worked or been means something to employer's but not here tgats for sure.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its been pretty much good last 23 yrs back in uk it sure was not work that made me move just a dream of mine to live here.i know a guy who came over before me did a yr and went back has no regrets, he got sick of applying for jobs, being told start right away but was weeks later and other reasons.
Within a few weeks of him going back he got right into it again.
I just feel my experience and where I have worked or been means something to employer's but not here tgats for sure.
Yes but have you actually tested the UK job market? I worked there for almost 20 years, but I would never take that to assume I would walk into a job again whenever I want one. Not least because age starts to work against you wherever you are.

Why not test it and if you should get a job offer on your plate, it might make the whole thing a no brainer.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for as many RRVs as you want, whenever you want, wherever you are. If you have been in Australia for 2 of the previous 5 years, you will get a 5 year RRV, assuming no change in the rules.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 9:38 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

In the 30 odd years I lived in Australia I met a LOT of people who had a dream of living in Australia, for many the reality didn't live up to the dream. If there was a Utopia everyone would want to live there and then it would no longer be Utopia. The economy in Australia is slowing with unemployment trending up, I am sure I don't need to tell you that. It's just the reality, not doom and gloom just reality. What it comes down to is where do you WANT to be ? Both are first world countries with all the same issues and problems.
None of us can tell you what you should do, that is something only you and your family can decide but good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
In the 30 odd years I lived in Australia I met a LOT of people who had a dream of living in Australia, for many the reality didn't live up to the dream. If there was a Utopia everyone would want to live there and then it would no longer be Utopia. The economy in Australia is slowing with unemployment trending up, I am sure I don't need to tell you that. It's just the reality, not doom and gloom just reality. What it comes down to is where do you WANT to be ? Both are first world countries with all the same issues and problems.
None of us can tell you what you should do, that is something only you and your family can decide but good luck with whatever you decide.
Very true and sometimes it's not always where you WANT to be:-). A lot of people want to live in so called paradise, but reality is different. Every country has different problems. You might get a great job offer in an attractive location, but then find out that even with a great job you actually can't afford a nice place to live, or have a long commute every day. The other person might not have a great job on paper and gets less money, but he or she can afford a nice house and doesn't have a long commute.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Brian you don't seem to have had much fun here since you arrived. Finding regular work is the most important factor in migration (for most people) and if you cannot do it here and have better chances in the UK, then I think there is where you need to be.

Can you really be sure you would find something there though? Is it worth tapping up your old contacts now and seeing if you can get something lined up for your return. You might regret going back if you find yourself in the same position there.

Getting to two years is a good idea if you can, but it is another seven months and so will be costly, unless you can find another short term role to see it through.

Don't concern yourself with what other people have done, who has moved back and who has not. Do what is right for you.

Excellent advice.

It's very easy when in this situation to worry about what others might think. At the end of the day Brian, it's your life, you are the one who has to live it, so do what is best for you and yours. Go with your gut instinct, it rarely lets you down.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Brian, I can have a lot of sympathy with your situation.
My occupation was very good here for a few years as there were lots of jobs. But, for the last couple of years it has been shocking - I have, like you, just been getting odd weeks of work, and some of that as a labourer rather than my profession and for pretty poor money.
However, we are no longer able to leave and return to the UK as we simply don't have the financial ability. So, are stuck.
My advice, don't hang around so long as to get stuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.