Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Australia

Moving back to Australia

Old May 7th 2014, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

jboz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving back to Australia

After living back in England for almost 2 years, I am finally preparing to move back to Brisbane in January! To say i am excited is an understatement!!

When my partner and I moved back here we came with just our suitcases and as you would expect we have accumulated quite a bit of stuff now!

We would be looking at sending approx 2 book boxes 2 large boxes and a TV.
I have received quotes from Seven Seas and Anglo Pacific

Have any of you shipped with them before? If so were they any good? I don't want a company who will be demanding more fees at the other end as I would expect that we will have to pay Australian customs something also.

Can anyone suggest any other removal companies or give me any advice on the whole experience of shipping? I have never had to do it before so any advice would be great!

Thanks
Jennie
Old May 7th 2014, 1:19 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Australia

I've used Seven Seas to ship from Cape Town to Canberra. They are good and their prices are reasonable. Make sure you wrap well any breakables though. The downside with shipping "loose" boxes is they receive more rough and tumble than if you ship a whole container full, but most of my stuff turned up intact.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jboz
After living back in England for almost 2 years, I am finally preparing to move back to Brisbane in January! To say i am excited is an understatement!!

When my partner and I moved back here we came with just our suitcases and as you would expect we have accumulated quite a bit of stuff now!

Have any of you shipped with them before? If so were they any good? I don't want a company who will be demanding more fees at the other end as I would expect that we will have to pay Australian customs something also.

Can anyone suggest any other removal companies or give me any advice on the whole experience of shipping? I have never had to do it before so any advice would be great!

Thanks
Jennie
Loads of people on here have given Seven seas good reviews

As for Anglo perfectic........well.....lets say when I go home I won't be using them.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paulry
I've used Seven Seas to ship from Cape Town to Canberra. They are good and their prices are reasonable. Make sure you wrap well any breakables though. The downside with shipping "loose" boxes is they receive more rough and tumble than if you ship a whole container full, but most of my stuff turned up intact.
I guess i should worry about my TV then!!
Old May 7th 2014, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Loads of people on here have given Seven seas good reviews

As for Anglo perfectic........well.....lets say when I go home I won't be using them.
Oh no anglo was the cheaper quote too!!
Old May 7th 2014, 1:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Jennie
If you do a BE search you'll find loads of companies that people recommend (or not!). Good luck with your move back
Old May 7th 2014, 1:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i should worry about my TV then!!
Possibly. If I recall, it's possible to get a wooden crate made up customised for your TV but it'll cost you. You'd probably be wiser selling there and buying a new one this side.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

This thread reminded me, we won't be taking much but Scouse won't leave his framed football shirts behind. Not sure how the glass will travel
Old May 7th 2014, 1:31 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use a more derogatory term, but the company objected . My issue was a total lack of communication and information, plus too long from port to door ( seven weeks - and we lived in inner Brisbane, not remote)

Personally, never again. Seven seas get god rep though
Old May 7th 2014, 1:32 pm
Banned

I hear Crown is good.

From the UK we used a company that has a name similar to an Aussie supermarket. Good prices but their packers pilfer.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:33 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
This thread reminded me, we won't be taking much but Scouse won't leave his framed football shirts behind. Not sure how the glass will travel
Can they be dismantled? so that if the glass broke it wouldn't harm the shirts? If not, talk to the shippers. A good company can deal with things like that
Old May 7th 2014, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I hope he supports the better team in Liverpool!!! (NOT EVERTON)! I'm a red of course! and i just so happen to be stuck with an Essex boy who supports Man U... what did i do in a past life to deserve that haha!!
Old May 7th 2014, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

I used to use a more derogatory term, but the company objected . My issue was a total lack of communication and information, plus too long from port to door ( seven weeks - and we lived in inner Brisbane, not remote)

Personally, never again. Seven seas get god rep though
That bad huh!! Okay, you've said enough for me not to use them!! I don't really mind on how long it takes as I still have everything in Aus too, inc clothes! So not too fussed I would however like it to arrive in one piece!!
Old May 7th 2014, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paulry
I hear Crown is good.

From the UK we used a company that has a name similar to an Aussie supermarket. Good prices but their packers pilfer.
My brother just used Britannia Movers.... its not the first time hes used them but they destroyed so much of his things this time and he had to claim insurance for half of his house... didn't get it all back either. Safe to say I won't be using them either! (They did things like double wrapped a tub of glue but only wrapped his wooden furniture once)
Old May 7th 2014, 1:48 pm
Concierge

Can they be dismantled? so that if the glass broke it wouldn't harm the shirts? If not, talk to the shippers. A good company can deal with things like that
Can't be dismantled, unfortunately. Still, if that's the worse hassle we'll face then I won't complain. I'll do a bit of research on shippers, ta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.