British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   moving to australia - where??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-australia-where-686252/)

angybaby Sep 20th 2010 9:39 pm

moving to australia - where???

Hi, we have just decided to migrate (still going thro' the process)and cannot decide what area to go to.

My partner is a carpenter/jointer/woodand laminate floor layer, we are thinking of either brisbane or perth in the main, but not sure - any suggestions regarding jobs, wages, house prices - renting at first, etc. would be helpfull, obviously been on may websites regarding this but just don't know how the economy is etc.

We are both in our 40's no kids, just want a better life for the 2 of us.

Any ideas or advise would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Angela:

Smartinis Sep 20th 2010 10:17 pm

Re: moving to australia - where???

Originally Posted by angybaby (Post 8862955)
Hi, we have just decided to migrate (still going thro' the process)and cannot decide what area to go to.

My partner is a carpenter/jointer/woodand laminate floor layer, we are thinking of either brisbane or perth in the main, but not sure - any suggestions regarding jobs, wages, house prices - renting at first, etc. would be helpfull, obviously been on may websites regarding this but just don't know how the economy is etc.

Thanks.

Angela:

Welcome to BE and on what will turn out to be, as it has for most of us a very exciting but often frustrating ride.

Where to start is often the most difficult thing and can be a very personal decision. We live in Melbourne and love it here, but our choice was made for us as we got a state sponsored visa. I would start by having a look at all the pros and cons of each state, they are all very different in many ways, primarily in temperarure and weather but in many other ways as well. We love Victoria, we get plenty of sun in summer with a smattering of VERY hot days above 40, but don't have the humidity of most other states. In winter it's cooler than other states but mild compared to the UK winters, although this year has been very wet. You need to decide whats best for you. You'll spend hours, (OK months!!) on this site, use the search button at the top and just start letting it all seap in. If you can make your questions a bit more specific on here you'll find you get much more helpful advice.

Good luck.:)

Sue Sep 20th 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks.

Angela:

Hi Angela,

I'm not in Australia, nor am I moving to Australia, but I wanted to pop by and welcome you to the site. I hope you enjoy your time with us and if you ever have any site useably questions please do not hesitate to give me, the Moderators, or Concierges a shout. Or you can always post your questions in Site Feedback.

Once again, welcome.

Sue

quoll Sep 20th 2010 11:04 pm

What will your "better life" look like? That will have an impact on where you might want to live.

Failing that, go for where you can get a job, as that is going to be the most important factor in the whole process.

KJCherokee Sep 21st 2010 1:52 am

, we are thinking of either brisbane or perth in the main, but not sure - :

Hi Angela,

When choosing between Brisbane and Perth, consider the following points:

I'm sure others can add to this comparison list. Note that I am not suggesting that one city is better than the other - I love Perth even though I live (from choice) in Brisbane. It all depends on how you want to live.

paddyo Sep 22nd 2010 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 8863106)
        Hi Angela,

I'm not in Australia, nor am I moving to Australia, but I wanted to pop by and welcome you to the site. I hope you enjoy your time with us and if you ever have any site useably questions please do not hesitate to give me, the Moderators, or Concierges a shout. Or you can always post your questions in Site Feedback.

Once again, welcome.

Sue

Hey!!! I never got a nice welcome when I joined the site!! :(

Maybe it was rather prophetic!!!!

mohogony Sep 22nd 2010 9:44 am

MAybe try somewhere more original then Brisbane or Perth , that seems to be where most people here move to.

furkew Sep 22nd 2010 10:07 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8867135)

C'mon Paddyo.

Your first post was probably "i'm coming to Australia. whats the beer like? and is it true all the Sheila's love the poms especially when they start complaining about the price of lettuce" ;)

Pollyana Sep 22nd 2010 11:23 am

Originally Posted by furkew (Post 8867546)
        C'mon Paddyo.

Your first post was probably "i'm coming to Australia. whats the beer like? and is it true all the Sheila's love the poms especially when they start complaining about the price of lettuce" ;)

And to be fair, the whole Concierge/Welcome committee thing is fairly new...... so I'm sure it wasn't a personal thing against Paddy ;) :sneaky:

furkew Sep 22nd 2010 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8867688)
        And to be fair, the whole Concierge/Welcome committee thing is fairly new...... so I'm sure it wasn't a personal thing against Paddy ;) :sneaky:

No it probably was :ohmy:

Ive been on here now 5 years :eek: so my skin can probably be used as an alternative to asbestos.

(just kiddin) :)

Pollyana Sep 22nd 2010 11:47 am

Originally Posted by furkew (Post 8867703)
        No it probably was :ohmy:

Ive been on here now 5 years :eek: so my skin can probably be used as an alternative to asbestos.

(just kiddin) :)

Jeez think what mine is like after nearly EIGHT!! :lol:

furkew Sep 22nd 2010 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8867728)
        Jeez think what mine is like after nearly EIGHT!! :lol:

C'mon Polly.

I dont want to lose that picture of a scantily clad witch on a broomstick.

We all need someting to cling to. :wub:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/2...834d56daff.jpg

Sherlock Holmes Sep 22nd 2010 1:14 pm

To the OP.

As you have a look around the site, you will find pros and cons of just about everywhere in Australia. Some members agree with me when I say that on balance, the majority of "happy" posters live in Victoria. This winter though has been terrible. Lots of people go to Perth and Brisbane. Melbourne is nice in my opinion. I know you need to find work but there is so much semi-rural and rural land upon which to live. Good quality workmanship is still prized here and there is a shortage of builders in general in out of the way places.

The further out you go, the cheaper property becomes but then you need to travel more. Travel is cheap and easy on country roads. We do a 150k round trip to go shopping and it's always a joy. Personally speaking, I find living in the semi bush you find the real Australia and the real Australians. I saw little point in moving from one city to another one.

Not knowing what visas you are aiming for, I'd ask if you can become self employed?

Sorry if this is irrelevant to you but do consider being outside a city if you can.

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8867135)

High Paddyo and welcome to B.E. Sorry this is a bit late but, as they say, better late than never. :)

Pollyana Sep 22nd 2010 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by furkew (Post 8867764)
        C'mon Polly.

I dont want to lose that picture of a scantily clad witch on a broomstick.

We all need someting to cling to. :wub:

:) You can cling to my broomstick anytime ;):wub:

fish.01 Sep 24th 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8867923)
        To the OP.

As you have a look around the site, you will find pros and cons of just about everywhere in Australia. Some members agree with me when I say that on balance, the majority of "happy" posters live in Victoria. This winter though has been terrible. Lots of people go to Perth and Brisbane. Melbourne is nice in my opinion. I know you need to find work but there is so much semi-rural and rural land upon which to live. Good quality workmanship is still prized here and there is a shortage of builders in general in out of the way places.

The further out you go, the cheaper property becomes but then you need to travel more. Travel is cheap and easy on country roads. We do a 150k round trip to go shopping and it's always a joy. Personally speaking, I find living in the semi bush you find the real Australia and the real Australians. I saw little point in moving from one city to another one.

Not knowing what visas you are aiming for, I'd ask if you can become self employed?

Sorry if this is irrelevant to you but do consider being outside a city if you can.

High Paddyo and welcome to B.E. Sorry this is a bit late but, as they say, better late than never. :)

They haven't sounded so happy for the last 6 months ;)