Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Reply

Old Dec 18th 2017, 1:38 am
  #31  
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,141
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Take it up with your fellow Perth friend. Post 23.

He labelled it boring and it seems to be the root of all his troubles.

As for my opinion, its better than Brisbane.
Everywhere is better than Brisbane
Amazulu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 1:54 am
  #32  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,813
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Everywhere is better than Brisbane
Did Adelaide for the cricket again, second time to confirm the theory, and I have to agree.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:34 am
  #33  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Perth is not boring

Only boring people get bored in a city of over 2 million

Perth, still, has the highest incomes in Australia apart from the ACT (go figure)

The only other places on the planet where I can earn the highest income and have a 1st world, western lifestyle are Texas and, maybe, Alberta (and I don't got a visa) - although the UK is coming back into the picture

Having lived there, I do not like Sydney

So Perth it is


Well not quite. What you mean to write is that the simplicity that Perth posses satisfies personal requirements.


That does not mean it will suit all, or worse that only boring people are bored in Perth. Such a clichéd statement at best.


You may not be aware, or indeed given thought, to the fact that cities possess a 'personality' as well. Hence certain cities will suit certain psychological traits more so than others.


For example Woody Allen, is usually regarded as the prototypical New Yorker, appears cut out to fit that city. He probably wouldn't survive long in Perth. being a far more repressed, less out going city personality to the place he appears to 'fit'....


There are of course many personality types that would not fit into the Perth personality landscape. It certainly does not mean they are boring. It means Perth suits a very specific individual........
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 8:42 am
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,389
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by anzen12 View Post
When I look at the UK online papers all I read about is Brexit or the weather or complaints about a politician or a celebrity or Britain’s waning political influence in the world.
What’s left is the charm of the countryside, decent pork products , quaint villages and a short hop to explore Europe.
Australia has decent weather, people who (mostly) speak English and supermarkets that stock (mostly) similar products from back home. Its TV and magazines are as bad as the UK and the cost of things is directly related to how much you are earning (housing is expensive, but wages are high)
So, weather is (mostly) all you’ve got and I think it’s a huge incentive. I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and spent a lot of time working in Brisbane and I love the fact that I have so many outdoor choices after work whether its evenings, weekends or on holiday. Beaches, parks, bbq’s, walking through the bush, fishing, cycling, watching kangaroos – there always seems something to do.
Well weather alone doesn't make people stay in a country and Australia wouldn't really be considered a place with decent weather. Freshwater resources are declining in most parts with increasing droughts and the sun is way too aggressive. You can't really enjoy it, as you have to use sunscreen most of the time or you risk getting skin cancer. And then when it rains it really rains + the thunder storms. At least along the Med (in most parts) you can enjoy the sun all year round and summers in the UK are pleasant too. I suppose Tasmania (Hobart as a City) is the only place with a decent climate.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 18th 2017 at 8:45 am.
Moses2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 8:51 am
  #35  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,762
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
Well weather alone doesn't make people stay in a country and Australia wouldn't really be considered a place with decent weather. Freshwater resources are declining in most parts with increasing droughts and the sun is way too aggressive. You can't really enjoy it, as you have to use sunscreen most of the time or you risk getting skin cancer. And then when it rains it really rains + the thunder storms. At least along the Med (in most parts) you can enjoy the sun all year round and summers in the UK are pleasant too. I suppose Tasmania (Hobart as a City) is the only place with a decent climate.
Tasmania also experiences high temps - increasingly into the mid 30s - gets a fair amount of rain - often in deluges, not just as drizzle, and can be very cold and wintry. Suits me, but many people would not call that decent, any more than I would call Brisbane's climate decent.
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 8:59 am
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,389
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Tasmania also experiences high temps - increasingly into the mid 30s - gets a fair amount of rain - often in deluges, not just as drizzle, and can be very cold and wintry. Suits me, but many people would not call that decent, any more than I would call Brisbane's climate decent.
Sure but many people enjoy smoking but is it good. We seem to be a generation that knows a lot but wants to ignore it. People used to move away from a desert and now we think it's great to build a city in a desert. From a scientific point, Tasmania is the only place with a brighter future.
Climate change: how Australia’s cities will be hotter, drier by 2050
Moses2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 10:43 am
  #37  
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,141
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well not quite. What you mean to write is that the simplicity that Perth posses satisfies personal requirements.


That does not mean it will suit all, or worse that only boring people are bored in Perth. Such a clichéd statement at best.


You may not be aware, or indeed given thought, to the fact that cities possess a 'personality' as well. Hence certain cities will suit certain psychological traits more so than others.


For example Woody Allen, is usually regarded as the prototypical New Yorker, appears cut out to fit that city. He probably wouldn't survive long in Perth. being a far more repressed, less out going city personality to the place he appears to 'fit'....


There are of course many personality types that would not fit into the Perth personality landscape. It certainly does not mean they are boring. It means Perth suits a very specific individual........
Woody Allen is also a pedophile - thank f**k he 'probably wouldn't survive long in Perth'

Please use someone else as an example
Amazulu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 10:53 am
  #38  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,762
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
Sure but many people enjoy smoking but is it good. We seem to be a generation that knows a lot but wants to ignore it. People used to move away from a desert and now we think it's great to build a city in a desert. From a scientific point, Tasmania is the only place with a brighter future.
Climate change: how Australia’s cities will be hotter, drier by 2050
You don't have to sell Tassie to me, i'd move there in a heartbeat and so would many other people except for one thing - employment. You find a awy of getting employers to see Tassie as an option, without ruining its natural beauty, and many people would choose it over the mainland.
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 8:20 pm
  #39  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,813
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
Sure but many people enjoy smoking but is it good. We seem to be a generation that knows a lot but wants to ignore it. People used to move away from a desert and now we think it's great to build a city in a desert. From a scientific point, Tasmania is the only place with a brighter future.
Climate change: how Australia’s cities will be hotter, drier by 2050
I was in Hobart on Christmas day once where there was a howling gale and side ways wet sleet. Now that's not a pleasant Xmas anywhere in the world.

Sometimes the best holiday destinations should be left at that.

I have also had to apply sun lotion in Tasmania like you do in the 3 weeks of a UK summer. But really who cares. Rather be outside than in.

I apply sun lotion once a week in summer in Sydney. Playing cricket. Same when I play cricket in the UK.

That argument is a straw clutcher.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 10:52 pm
  #40  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Lower North Shore Sydney (again)
Posts: 84
Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Depends what you're looking for. Lots of money - no, it's not worth it. Lots of sunshine - hell yeah!

This article presents an interesting take on things ;-)

Why Britain's Still Great, By Someone Who's Leaving
Crystaltipps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 12:18 am
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps View Post
Depends what you're looking for. Lots of money - no, it's not worth it. Lots of sunshine - hell yeah!

This article presents an interesting take on things ;-)

Why Britain's Still Great, By Someone Who's Leaving
A very good take on things and reminds one of a number of things new world nations, such as Australia lack. Even compared to Mainland Europe, UK seem to posses something of the Danish 'hygge' , not usually found outside of Denmark, although I wonder if not in the same quantity, perhaps, as in times past. One can witness how strong this was in British film noir, a favourite of mine, that exposes a world, I suspect, no longer exists. The sense of 'hygge' certainly comes clearly out in those.

A certain type of Brit will likely find Australia very trying. To say the least. In fact I know people over there from long standing, whom couldn't believe why I would want to live in such a country.
Some even not the slightest interest to visit.


The once easily sold attraction of sun and beach, not quite as saleable these days. Apart from the tourist brochures of course.


I agree the sun and even ambiance is better in certain Euro locations. The pubs are better in UK , a summer is far more enjoyable there, where parks full of people sun bathing, long evenings, even the English sea side is rather unique and thus attractive to visit.


The regions, as on the Mainland, with regional accents and a sense of being in a different place due to that, not really found in Australia, although of course the geography can be far more diverse here.


Those not in need of economic refuge, where Australia may or may not prove to be a salvation, one can only wonder about the expectations those who embark on such an action like moving to the other side of the world in 2018 really hope to find?
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 1:43 am
  #42  
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,141
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A very good take on things and reminds one of a number of things new world nations, such as Australia lack. Even compared to Mainland Europe, UK seem to posses something of the Danish 'hygge' , not usually found outside of Denmark, although I wonder if not in the same quantity, perhaps, as in times past. One can witness how strong this was in British film noir, a favourite of mine, that exposes a world, I suspect, no longer exists. The sense of 'hygge' certainly comes clearly out in those.

A certain type of Brit will likely find Australia very trying. To say the least. In fact I know people over there from long standing, whom couldn't believe why I would want to live in such a country.
Some even not the slightest interest to visit.


The once easily sold attraction of sun and beach, not quite as saleable these days. Apart from the tourist brochures of course.


I agree the sun and even ambiance is better in certain Euro locations. The pubs are better in UK , a summer is far more enjoyable there, where parks full of people sun bathing, long evenings, even the English sea side is rather unique and thus attractive to visit.


The regions, as on the Mainland, with regional accents and a sense of being in a different place due to that, not really found in Australia, although of course the geography can be far more diverse here.


Those not in need of economic refuge, where Australia may or may not prove to be a salvation, one can only wonder about the expectations those who embark on such an action like moving to the other side of the world in 2018 really hope to find?
The English seaside is calling you Herman - I believe Blackpool is nice at this time of year

When are you moving there?
Amazulu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 3:06 am
  #43  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
The English seaside is calling you Herman - I believe Blackpool is nice at this time of year

When are you moving there?
Most likely even if never, would be long before you learnt the art of debate, or brushed up on literary skills only partly learnt in the South African 'dorp' you left behind.
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 3:41 am
  #44  
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,141
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Most likely even if never, would be long before you learnt the art of debate, or brushed up on literary skills only partly learnt in the South African 'dorp' you left behind.
Or maybe Bognor Regis - apparently also nice in winter

I can picture you there
Amazulu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 4:35 am
  #45  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,813
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Or maybe Bognor Regis - apparently also nice in winter

I can picture you there
Hastings is nice. Lots of welfare there, hanging out around the local shopping area, living off the wealthy 2%. That would be right up his alley.

Better get in quick, Hastings is changing. The 2%'ers are seeing value in Hastings.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement