Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nope Sydney 2nd best, I always thought it was the prettiest inner City I'd ever seen until I clapped eyes on Hobart. That wins on every count, including the comparable Harbours..... Certainly easily wins on the architecture as well.
Its a good point. Hobart is a city of awesome natural beauty. The mountain makes it. I guess one thing I don't like about the Derwent as a harbour is its vastness. If it was thinner, where you could see more detail from one side to the next, would help its cause. The colder climate doesn't help either. A lot less opportunity to get among it.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I do agree with V Story re Bondi though, definitely the most over hyped part of Australia.... boy was I disappointed with that place, said it on here before as well.
What hype? Well if the tourists will waste their time. Lets hope you used it as starting point for the coastal walk.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Well that is clearly nonsense, one of the finest harbours on the planet and renowned for it. I would say it's easily the prettiest city in Australia, especially including surrounding areas. Perth is nice too.

Least naturally pretty city is Melbourne, by a long shot. Anything nice in that city is man-made. Otherwise it's a dry/dusty craphole with a brown river and stagnant bay.

But what is the use of a fine harbour when most live very far away from it in dormitory suburbs. Likely seldom see the harbour and forced to drive long distances to work?

I agree with Melbourne. But it had the wisdom to rebrand itself into something desirable.
Perth certainly has its attractions but seems in need of an identity beyond a mining resource head office and boom to bust city, largely in the hands of a smallish but powerful elite.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
But what is the use of a fine harbour when most live very far away from it in dormitory suburbs. Likely seldom see the harbour and forced to drive long distances to work?
You use Port Hacking, Botany Bay, Georges River, Nepean River, Middle Cove, Pittwater, The Hawkesbury River, Central Coast, the Royal National Park, Lane Cove National Park, Kur-ring-gai National Park, The Blue Mountains National Park ......... that will do for now and will cover most of the population of Sydney.

Don't you just feel life is passing you by?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Well that is clearly nonsense, one of the finest harbours on the planet and renowned for it. I would say it's easily the prettiest city in Australia, especially including surrounding areas. Perth is nice too.

Least naturally pretty city is Melbourne, by a long shot. Anything nice in that city is man-made. Otherwise it's a dry/dusty craphole with a brown river and stagnant bay.
Agree to a degree. Sydney harbour is very nice (even better if you can afford to live on, or near, it) but the CBD is ordinary and much of its suburbia (inner and outer) is downright grim. Why anyone would pay $1m+ to live in a shithole there is beyond me - it's even more bizarre when you consider how average the salaries are there too

F**k that
Old Jan 8th 2018, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree to a degree. Sydney harbour is very nice (even better if you can afford to live on, or near, it) but the CBD is ordinary and much of its suburbia (inner and outer) is downright grim. Why anyone would pay $1m+ to live in a shithole there is beyond me - it's even more bizarre when you consider how average the salaries are there too

F**k that
Clearly your MBA did you no favours teaching you economics 101. Supply and demand.

You just need to ask yourself, why the demand.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Clearly your MBA did you no favours teaching you economics 101. Supply and demand.

Although I like Sydney, Zulu in this instance does have a point. Sydney CBD is rather ordinary. Take away the harbour and little of interest really. Far too overpriced for its own good. While it may well get away with the building of often poorly built, over priced flats, that few outside of international students (whom by the way, further impact the buying market) there isn't a lot of choice in other areas perhaps in a way it is supply and demand, but hardly good for business being so expensive. Of course mass immigration does little to alleviate housing problems as does foreign investment.

I considered Sydney as have close friends over there and enjoy the more international vibrancy about the place. But afraid there are plenty better cities around the world to capture that feeling and Sydney weather is hardly a selling point.

While the price of Perth in going out and the lack of vibrancy are certainly negative factors about Perth, I certainly could not get the lifestyle I life here in Perth with considerable ease without making serious compromises.

When prices correct to true value who knows? May well be enticed over to show you the ropes.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Although I like Sydney, Zulu in this instance does have a point. Sydney CBD is rather ordinary. Take away the harbour and little of interest really.
Not really sure the CBD should be where your tourist focus should be. As the name suggests, its the central business district, people go there to work, then leave to the many more desirable places.

As far as Australian CBD's go, maybe Melbourne might have the edge, but then again Melbourne has nothing else other than its CBD and maybe at a stretch a couple of places around Richmond.

Not really a fan of Australian CBD's myself. Then again I wouldn't hang out in the London city much either - go in - make money - get out.

Far too overpriced for its own good. While it may well get away with the building of often poorly built, over priced flats, that few outside of international students (whom by the way, further impact the buying market) there isn't a lot of choice in other areas perhaps in a way it is supply and demand, but hardly good for business being so expensive. Of course mass immigration does little to alleviate housing problems as does foreign investment.
I suppose you would say the same about New York, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo - not good for business.

Quite frankly, cost of property has never affected any big city when it comes to business - you are talking out your arse again.

I considered Sydney as have close friends over there and enjoy the more international vibrancy about the place. But afraid there are plenty better cities around the world to capture that feeling and Sydney weather is hardly a selling point.

While the price of Perth in going out and the lack of vibrancy are certainly negative factors about Perth, I certainly could not get the lifestyle I life here in Perth with considerable ease without making serious compromises.
Well its in Australia after all. Not exactly an easy trek for the international crowd to get to. As long as we keep immigration going in the right direction with the right people, international vibrancy will continue to head in the right direction.

When prices correct to true value who knows? May well be enticed over to show you the ropes.
Feel free to invite yourself. It starts with attitude. More self action, less blaming everyone else. Start to turn that around and I can show you how to buy the 4 bedroom, free stander within 10km of the city and within 2km of the beach and still have enough disposable income left over for that annual ski trip to Europe.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure the CBD should be where your tourist focus should be. As the name suggests, its the central business district, people go there to work, then leave to the many more desirable places.

As far as Australian CBD's go, maybe Melbourne might have the edge, but then again Melbourne has nothing else other than its CBD and maybe at a stretch a couple of places around Richmond.
Oops...there are tens and tens of sq kilometres of Melbourne burbs amazing places to live...excluding Richmond, mate..where to start!

Melbourne's CBD is simply utilitarian and convenient.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well not really. Of course not every body work excessive hours. Then there are many people as well whom would like to work more hours .....but overall Australians work the most hours of any industrialised country within the OECD.
It doesn't of course mean productivity is any better, worse if anything with too many hours.
It does appear an unfortunate Anglo-sphere cultural occurrence of recent decades. France, the country I was employed in for some years, prior to Australia, brought in a law restricting working time. As some of us know. Life is not work although too many in the Anglo-sphere appear to confuse that.

I don't believe your working colleagues would necessary like to be called 'Your Indians', (if you must express the status termology, then the people that work for me would be surely more acceptable) obviously unless you run a group of slaves they are not anybody's. Sorry just something I abhor.
They are on reasonable salaries and do not need a union. In the trade union world there are foremen and other juniors, with militant strikes. Hardly an effete world?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Oops...there are tens and tens of sq kilometres of Melbourne burbs amazing places to live...excluding Richmond, mate..where to start!

Melbourne's CBD is simply utilitarian and convenient.
And there's the tourist / business visitor coming out in me. I am glad to hear. It would be so sad if our lives were restricted to CBD's
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

And there's the tourist / business visitor coming out in me. I am glad to hear. It would be so sad if our lives were restricted to CBD's

This is what people dont "get" about Melbourne and why you have to live here to "know"..... It's Burbs are the key, the major difference to the other cities, including Sydney, including some of the outer burbs.... Belgrave and Healsville for instance.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course. You are right though, a visitor might not see a inner burb. I wasnt that impressed with melb as a tourist.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed I do understand the supply/demand equation in relation to labour and how major cities attract people

but

London, for example, attracts people - lot's of people and the salaries there are the highest in the country. The ABS figures show us that Sydney attracts a lot of people yet salaries there are lower than in Perth, Darwin and Canberra and only slightly above the Australian average. Salaries in Sydney do not bear any resemblance to the COL there (and before you start, people in Anglo-Saxon, capitalist countries prefer to own property rather than rent it - Sydney ain't Hamburg. We're right, they're wrong)

Anyway, none of this changes the fact that apart from the lovely area around the harbour, Sydney is a shithole. Bondi? Gimme a break!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
They are on reasonable salaries and do not need a union. In the trade union world there are foremen and other juniors, with militant strikes. Hardly an effete world?

All fine when times are good. Come downturn and restructuring ones pay can certain drop a few grades. We certainly need unions. It if anything more so. The only ones in denial are those happy enough to witness Bruce drop a few more pegs down the ladder ......
Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not really a fan of Australian CBD's myself. Then again I wouldn't hang out in the London city much either - go in - make money - get out.

I suppose you would say the same about New York, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo - not good for business.

Quite frankly, cost of property has never affected any big city when it comes to business - you are talking out your arse again.

Well its in Australia after all. Not exactly an easy trek for the international crowd to get to. As long as we keep immigration going in the right direction with the right people, international vibrancy will continue to head in the right direction.

Feel free to invite yourself. It starts with attitude. More self action, less blaming everyone else. Start to turn that around and I can show you how to buy the 4 bedroom, free stander within 10km of the city and within 2km of the beach and still have enough disposable income left over for that annual ski trip to Europe.

Well you may come from a backwater with no CBD but city centres do rank as important features. Obviously the City of London, being a square mile an exception, but has a well defined centre. As I wrote Sydney's centre is rather ordinary. But if unused to big smokes I can see you may be blown away.
Well yes funnily enough so many of our prime are increasingly a struggle for average people to afford to live and no doubt less desirable with the smugness of those that believe in the virtue of high income equates a well balanced, intelligent populace, interesting environment type of city landscape.

We are not keeping immigration going the right way by a long shot. It is appeasing certain vested interest and lobby groups.....nothing for Bruce though.

You really do have a complex of importance don't you? No idea where you get it from. A huge Sydney mortgage is nothing to crow about. Ski trips to Europe...boring.....just amazing you find it so impressive. I'd be more impressed if said was going for cultural/intellectual refreshment .......but there you are traipsing up Alps with thousands of other like minded people will have to surface I suppose.

I think I'll pass on the real estate offer as well. Too far out for me, and Sydney when it corrects, if not sold out completely, something you cannot depend on the hue of Australian/ NSW governments not to go the whole hog and Honkers the city completely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.