Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Agreed commuting is hardly a great way to live a life. As for not seeing kids, best to remember a lot of Aussies work some of the longest hours......so not a lot of joy there either.
It depends..this is an area where people will bicker..the reality is some do, some don't. I would say peope work hard when there's a need but underlying that is a sense its only a job. Anglo-sphere culture applies. Its not the States though, nor France, or India. My Indians in my teams often leave early the lazy sods..i don't want rampant workers but I dont want clock watchers, simply because i want flexibility.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It depends..this is an area where people will bicker..the reality is some do, some don't. I would say peope work hard when there's a need but underlying that is a sense its only a job. Anglo-sphere culture applies. Its not the States though, nor France, or India. My Indians in my teams often leave early the lazy sods..i don't want rampant workers but I dont want clock watchers, simply because i want flexibility.
im self employed here in england so work loads of hours you take the work when its there so you can try and see yourself through the next downturn lol. 07/08 here was real bad for us tradies.

i could work less i suppose but not overly in my nature dont mind the graft long as i get the money for it and enough work life balance that im not a slave to the job just to pay bills. Hoping for a similar situation in aus god willing i suppose haha
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon111
im self employed here in england so work loads of hours you take the work when its there so you can try and see yourself through the next downturn lol. 07/08 here was real bad for us tradies.

i could work less i suppose but not overly in my nature dont mind the graft long as i get the money for it and enough work life balance that im not a slave to the job just to pay bills. Hoping for a similar situation in aus god willing i suppose haha
It used to be said that AU was a good country for trades - I think that is true. Not too sure to be honest - tradies used to be the blokes propping up pubs in the UK.

At the risk of sounding nosy, what's your housing situation and are you able to bring along cash to buy or cover housing? AU can be quite tax efficient for sole traders and businesses. Many seemingly affluent tradies seem to spend their time on tax dodges to create wealth - (or rather cash flow of course). They are better off in a way than white collar workers who might be very tax inefficient, like me ;-)
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney being so widespread as plenty of suburban areas without the hurley burley. But it is expensive. Has Australia a better working ethos? Not at all sure about that one. A lot of scammers here wanting big money as a sense of entitlement and perform badly. But people do work long hours in many areas and pay is better in many areas (not all) than UK.

I only know WA, but there has been difficulty with only less than half of the 102 midwife applicants managing to get places and 39% of the 1589 registered nurses secured places in this years twelve month graduate program. (WA Health Dept figures)
The biggest factor I decided against Perth was the job front.

Australia does have a better work ethos that I can see. The homebirthing is incredible out there. I'm not shy in regard to long hours. I already do 14 hour shifts
Old Jan 7th 2018, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Perth and Adelaide are also busy cities. Both have central business districts surround by suburbs of housing. Sydney too. What differentiates Sydney from every other city in Australia is its variety of natural beauty.

If you don't want a busy city strike Perth and Adelaide from the list.
As someone who has lived in Sydney and Perth I just pissed myself laughing at this. Sydney is probably the least naturally pretty city in Oz. I remember looking out on places like Bondi and things "why, just why".
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be said that AU was a good country for trades - I think that is true. Not too sure to be honest - tradies used to be the blokes propping up pubs in the UK.

At the risk of sounding nosy, what's your housing situation and are you able to bring along cash to buy or cover housing? AU can be quite tax efficient for sole traders and businesses. Many seemingly affluent tradies seem to spend their time on tax dodges to create wealth - (or rather cash flow of course). They are better off in a way than white collar workers who might be very tax inefficient, like me ;-)
most tradsmen to prop up the pubs still!

iv got some equity in my house and some savings too. not enough to be buying a decent house outright unless im in the middle of nowhere lol. that sounds no different than here were always being accused of tax dodging which is laughable as multinationals pay little to nothing and their evasion far eclipses ours!

from what i understand i couldnt go self employed as a plumber straight away would have to do a year as a glorified apprentice and so on.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Well not really. Of course not every body work excessive hours. Then there are many people as well whom would like to work more hours .....but overall Australians work the most hours of any industrialised country within the OECD.
It doesn't of course mean productivity is any better, worse if anything with too many hours.
It does appear an unfortunate Anglo-sphere cultural occurrence of recent decades. France, the country I was employed in for some years, prior to Australia, brought in a law restricting working time. As some of us know. Life is not work although too many in the Anglo-sphere appear to confuse that.

I don't believe your working colleagues would necessary like to be called 'Your Indians', (if you must express the status termology, then the people that work for me would be surely more acceptable) obviously unless you run a group of slaves they are not anybody's. Sorry just something I abhor.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jan 7th 2018 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon111
most tradsmen to prop up the pubs still!

iv got some equity in my house and some savings too. not enough to be buying a decent house outright unless im in the middle of nowhere lol. that sounds no different than here were always being accused of tax dodging which is laughable as multinationals pay little to nothing and their evasion far eclipses ours!

from what i understand i couldnt go self employed as a plumber straight away would have to do a year as a glorified apprentice and so on.
Surely something is amiss here? Our government has said it is alright for multi nationals and corporations to pay minimal tax, if any at all. Their mates. In Oz we look after our mates and see them okay.

Now what gives you the right to consider the working class proletarian tradie, should have anywhere near those rights? Tony gave you blokes tax concessions to by toys with and win you over to the ranks of The Liberal Party.

I jest. But tradies do float their own boat and often behave as 'precious', when times are good.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
As someone who has lived in Sydney and Perth I just pissed myself laughing at this. Sydney is probably the least naturally pretty city in Oz. I remember looking out on places like Bondi and things "why, just why".
Sydney great if harbour or certain sea views. The majority can afford neither. The word is over rated, over expensive and over patronised.

Although the natural beauty would out do Melbourne. A city that had to seek out other avenues in getting itself recognised.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Clacfart
The biggest factor I decided against Perth was the job front.

Australia does have a better work ethos that I can see. The homebirthing is incredible out there. I'm not shy in regard to long hours. I already do 14 hour shifts

It would sound a wise decision. I wasn't aware of employment issues in your field until the other day when discovered it in our local paper. I knew health had been cut back in a few states, but thought that was more management and back ground staff. Hence nurses not getting into hospitals here came as a bit of a surprise.

Still Australia is a constantly changing picture of needs that ebb and flow, according to the economic cycle or government funding. A lot of waste has certainly happened over the 'boom period'.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Perth and Adelaide are also busy cities. Both have central business districts surround by suburbs of housing. Sydney too. What differentiates Sydney from every other city in Australia is its variety of natural beauty.

If you don't want a busy city strike Perth and Adelaide from the list.

Few would describe Perth as a busy city under any circumstances. Even if the PR bod's are relabelling us the cool kid on the block and the new, what ever the latest fad city is over in America, Perth remains as quiet as ever. Obviously the CBD all of a few streets will encounter foot traffic, the burbs in the main, look ready and waiting for the first load of settlers to arrive.

I didn't really notice Adelaide to be any different. But no expert on that city.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has lived in Sydney and Perth I just pissed myself laughing at this. Sydney is probably the least naturally pretty city in Oz.
Coming from the man who spends his time on BE discouraging people about Australia, all because he couldn't make geology work at the end of a mining boom, but still hangs out on BE - OK.

I remember looking out on places like Bondi and things "why, just why".
Agree. Back in the 80's Bondi was one of the least desirable places to live in Sydney and this was mainly to do with its lack of natural beauty which could be found in many other parts of Sydney. The gentrification push has changed its popularity and the Bondi hipster has taken hold, with cafe's, bars and restaurants popping up all over the place.

The most beautiful part of Bondi is when you are leaving it on the coastal walk around the Icebergs (most of it is not natural beauty). The Icebergs is a great start followed by all the natural beauty on the coastal walk. Tamarama, Bronte, Coogee, Clovelly.

Bondi is an interesting place to hang out though, not for its natural beauty but for its people watching.

Anyhow, in case you visited Sydney to see its natural beauty and spent your time on the 380 to Bondi, here is a selection of what you missed.

Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Few would describe Perth as a busy city under any circumstances. Even if the PR bod's are relabelling us the cool kid on the block and the new, what ever the latest fad city is over in America, Perth remains as quiet as ever. Obviously the CBD all of a few streets will encounter foot traffic, the burbs in the main, look ready and waiting for the first load of settlers to arrive.

I didn't really notice Adelaide to be any different. But no expert on that city.
Maybe I am unlucky with Perth traffic, but St George's Terrace gets me every time.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is clearly nonsense, one of the finest harbours on the planet and renowned for it. I would say it's easily the prettiest city in Australia, especially including surrounding areas. Perth is nice too.

Least naturally pretty city is Melbourne, by a long shot. Anything nice in that city is man-made. Otherwise it's a dry/dusty craphole with a brown river and stagnant bay.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Well that is clearly nonsense, one of the finest harbours on the planet and renowned for it. I would say it's easily the prettiest city in Australia, especially including surrounding areas. Perth is nice too.

Least naturally pretty city is Melbourne, by a long shot. Anything nice in that city is man-made. Otherwise it's a dry/dusty craphole with a brown river and stagnant bay.

Nope Sydney 2nd best, I always thought it was the prettiest inner City I'd ever seen until I clapped eyes on Hobart. That wins on every count, including the comparable Harbours..... Certainly easily wins on the architecture as well. I do agree with V Story re Bondi though, definitely the most over hyped part of Australia.... boy was I disappointed with that place, said it on here before as well.

Melbournes not all bad.... Get out to Greensborough and beyond in the North and the Dandenongs down the SEast and it gets scenic. The approaches from the West and the North are pretty dire in the summer though, I will admit.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 8th 2018 at 2:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.