Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 7th 2018, 3:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Mate, are you ever going to move from Perth? Its a question begging for what 10 years? What's keeping you there Sir?
It's a good question but don't expect any kind understandable answer

Methinks he's one of those individuals who likes a good whinge about where they live but are unprepared to do anything about it - happy to be unhappy basically. BE's full of 'em
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It's home aren't it? Actually away a lot. Over four months abroad this year, not including, Twice to Sydney. Twice in New Zealand.

Not that I need to explain myself to you of course. You appear a little sensitive to factual information. By the way, hardly confined to Perth, but aspects of Australia in general to which I do like to offer a differing perspective. Feel free to offer your alternative versions to where I may be in error, rather than Facebook tactics. When are you going to move? Really. Surely you are capable of a something a little more than such a simplistic retort?
Just one thing...in the Eastern states there are cultural pursuits and institutions which grant the very access to European cities, culture and people you often tag as an interest, quite rightly. There is a flow of people in and out.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a good question but don't expect any kind understandable answer

Methinks he's one of those individuals who likes a good whinge about where they live but are unprepared to do anything about it - happy to be unhappy basically. BE's full of 'em
Well if one positive comes out of the ridiculous post of yours is that you are thinking. Something sadly not often in evidence with your usual postings.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
A very informative read, thank you. I will check out the link added as I haven't seen that.

I know I would earn loads in sydney and job wise, it is extremely easy for me to get one (well I've had 2 jobs offers... Not that I planned on taking them. I just wanted to see if I could). I just don't want to live in a busy city. I'm quite particular about what I want. I'm not into Australia because I think it is exotic. It's better working ethos (when I manage to get onto one of the homebirth teams anyway)
Perth and Adelaide are also busy cities. Both have central business districts surround by suburbs of housing. Sydney too. What differentiates Sydney from every other city in Australia is its variety of natural beauty.

If you don't want a busy city strike Perth and Adelaide from the list.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney remains ludicrous in prices regardless if it is a titch below an alpha city like London or not.
Prices of what? Beer, shoes, bananas?

The financial industry is becoming of increasing importance in Sydney, to which it could well aggravate prices in that city even more, just as what happened in London from the eighties.
If this were true it has a silver lining. It keeps the resentful whiners like you out.

Unfortunately Australia is never going to be a financial hub. Its de-centralized location and shocking global timezone will see fit to that.

People do struggle in Sydney. And this is a time of cheap money. Property is insane.
There will always be an element of society that struggle anywhere. Fortunately for Australia it has very few living below the poverty line in comparison to other countries.

Property is not the cheapest, thats for sure, but the best usually comes with a price tag.

Not impossible though. The recent drops in Sydney prices due to restrictions on investor lending have helped.

Perth is purely a rip off, a carry over from the boom, and denial of changing economic conditions with anticipated results.
Time to get a new job and stop blaming others.

People put it down to isolation but those of us that have longer memories recall when Perth was cheap.
Did you miss the mining boom? Aww bad luck.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

so my question is wheres the best cost to living ratio in australia? there must be areas where more people end up with more disposable income?

i assume theres statistics on this?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon111
so my question is wheres the best cost to living ratio in australia? there must be areas where more people end up with more disposable income?

Hard to say as cheaper areas = lower salaries, or rather, less jobs.

If you are a tradie or a GP and you can work anywhere, regional is cheaper (housing). But still exy. I would say its hard to find a sweet spot in AU. Distance is a tyranny of sorts.

Possibly a sweet spot is a regional centre with access to other centres or a state capital..where you can work from home or avoid a peak hour commute.. (eg)

Success in Au is about being able to set up well..which now might need some capital..to reduce housing cost for a start. (I keep editing my post)..reducing housing cost is a No 1...once you do this,
..you can start to play and experiment.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 7th 2018 at 8:40 am.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hard to say because salaries are best where there is the most demand for people.

I was chatting with some locals on the Central Coast of NSW last week who travel to work in Sydney.

They think they have a good life earning Sydney money but paying Central Coast prices for houses by the beach.

Personally the Central Coast would drive me nuts after a week of beach and not much else. The commute would also kill me.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a tradie or a GP and you can work anywhere, regional is cheaper (housing). But still exy. I would say its hard to find a sweet spot in AU. Distance is a tyranny of sorts.

Possibly a sweet spot is a regional centre with access to other centres or a state capital..where you can work from home or avoid a peak hour commute.. (eg)

Success in Au is about being able to set up well..which now might need some capital..to reduce housing cost for a start. (I keep editing my post)..reducing housing cost is a No 1...once you do this,
im a tradie and i think most important is obviously going where theres work but i dont want to just move into a city and struggle to afford things in general. money is important but i dont want to be a slave to my job just to pay the bills.

its a hard one because each person is different and i like all these views but you never know until you get there and see how things pan out. its a very expensive test isnt it lol.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
Hard to say because salaries are best where there is the most demand for people.

I was chatting with some locals on the Central Coast of NSW last week who travel to work in Sydney.

They think they have a good life earning Sydney money but paying Central Coast prices for houses by the beach.

Personally the Central Coast would drive me nuts after a week of beach and not much else. The commute would also kill me.
agreed that is a bloody long commute.

tbf that sounds great if you dont mind the commute i know plenty of people around me who do the london trip everyday so 1 hour 20mins with no traffic. they earn great money and pay our small town prices they love it but i couldnt think of anything worse than that. i dont even have kids yet but i imagine the dad basically doesnt see them in the week. not my cup of tea im afraid. but each to their own i suppose
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Prices of what? Beer, shoes, bananas?

If this were true it has a silver lining. It keeps the resentful whiners like you out.

Unfortunately Australia is never going to be a financial hub. Its de-centralized location and shocking global timezone will see fit to that.

There will always be an element of society that struggle anywhere. Fortunately for Australia it has very few living below the poverty line in comparison to other countries.

Property is not the cheapest, thats for sure, but the best usually comes with a price tag.

Not impossible though. The recent drops in Sydney prices due to restrictions on investor lending have helped.

Time to get a new job and stop blaming others.

Did you miss the mining boom? Aww bad luck.
Australia is an expensive country end off. No one that comes to Australia from a wealthy west European country will tell you different.

Thank goodness for small mercies. We do not want Australia to become a financial hub. Sydney is bad enough as it is and enough banksters in place as it stands.

No Australia's divide in society is not unfortunate it is planned that way. Inequality is huge and growing while those with privilege gain ever more. A massive con job is being undertaken on the Australian people, but don't you trouble your head about it as of course you won't.

Property is nothing but a rip off with vested interests that include government privy to the con.
Australian workers need high incomes to pay for this con. Not too many have much in the way of savings, but excel on personal debt levels.
All in a country where one has largely to fund own retirement and keep money aside for medical expenses.

Recent drops in Sydney are next to nothing. Without government interference in the market over the years prices would have corrected substantially years ago.

The boom had no impact on me. besides house with no mortgage going up almost 300%.

I'll leave the job hunting and worry about work to you proletarians. It seems in your case your sole sense of identity and belonging. You mention it all the time.

Luckily I've far more important things to ponder.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Success in Australia is where the cycle is meaning right timing. You can certainly not work anywhere as a tradie if coming during a downturn.

Small business? Not always easy to get a loan....banks seem to prefer for some reason larger companies.

Oh, according to ABS.(Australian Bureau of Statistics) more than 60% of small business ceases to operate within first three years.

A lot of luck and certainly not the easy place to make out. Although I accept you have perhaps never been in Australia during a down turn.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

tbf that sounds great if you dont mind the commute i know plenty of people around me who do the london trip everyday so 1 hour 20mins with no traffic. they earn great money and pay our small town prices they love it but i couldnt think of anything worse than that. i dont even have kids yet but i imagine the dad basically doesnt see them in the week. not my cup of tea im afraid. but each to their own i suppose

Agreed commuting is hardly a great way to live a life. As for not seeing kids, best to remember a lot of Aussies work some of the longest hours......so not a lot of joy there either.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Success in Australia is where the cycle is meaning right timing. You can certainly not work anywhere as a tradie if coming during a downturn.

Small business? Not always easy to get a loan....banks seem to prefer for some reason larger companies.

Oh, according to ABS.(Australian Bureau of Statistics) more than 60% of small business ceases to operate within first three years.

A lot of luck and certainly not the easy place to make out. Although I accept you have perhaps never been in Australia during a down turn.
Nothing to do with me personally! Some trades are always in demand. As are medics.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you are a tradie then you've got nothing to worry about from the fear mongers on this site.

I know plenty of tradies living in the better suburbs of Sydney. Tradies do well in Australia. Especially in the current construction and home renovation boom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.