Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 6th 2018, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Cost of living wise it must really depend on a lot of factors.

Even two neighboring boroughs in London could be chalk and cheese in this respect.

However, is it an interesting place to live. I’m not convinced personally.

But, we’re all different.

Culturally you could have a much richer life somewhere that on paper seems less exotic.

Not to mention outside a small number of cities it’s empty and not really somewhere anyone wants to live, clearly.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
A fair point. Is Sydney like London in the way though that you get paid more to work in that area?
Correct. Sydney has the highest salaries in Australia.

5 million people live in Sydney and growing. If it was unaffordable, people wouldn't live in Sydney.

All I know is I earn rubbish here. I would earn double in Aus at the lowest of my band.

But I also know that groceries are much more expensive, eating out etc
How do you figure that out?
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

5 million people live in Sydney and growing. If it was unaffordable, people wouldn't live in Sydney.

From speaking to a close friend who was born in Adelaide and worked as a dr for many years before moving to the UK (although he visits Adelaide twice a year) I also have friends who live in Perth and Sydney

Added to that looking at comparison sites but truthfully I go by what my friends say
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

From speaking to a close friend who was born in Adelaide and worked as a dr for many years before moving to the UK (although he visits Adelaide twice a year) I also have friends who live in Perth and Sydney

Added to that looking at comparison sites but truthfully I go by what my friends say
Well as someone who has moved back and forth between both cities and visits London at least once, (and sometimes several times) annually I can assure you your disposable income goes a lot further in Sydney.

You have used the site below right?

Its good guide. Sure groceries might be a tad more but eating out certainly is not.

It all comes down to the big incomings and outgoings. Your salary and your rent/mortgage. The rest is just whatever.

Personally I find Perth laughable for beer, coffee and eating out prices. Must be the isolated city transport costs.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=Uni ted+Kingdom&city1=Sydney&city2=London
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Well as someone who has moved back and forth between both cities and visits London at least once, (and sometimes several times) annually I can assure you your disposable income goes a lot further in Sydney.

Its good guide. Sure groceries might be a tad more but eating out certainly is not.

It all comes down to the big incomings and outgoings. Your salary and your rent/mortgage. The rest is just whatever.

Personally I find Perth laughable for beer, coffee and eating out prices. Must be the isolated city transport costs.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=Uni ted+Kingdom&city1=Sydney&city2=London
A very informative read, thank you. I will check out the link added as I haven't seen that.

I know I would earn loads in sydney and job wise, it is extremely easy for me to get one (well I've had 2 jobs offers... Not that I planned on taking them. I just wanted to see if I could). I just don't want to live in a busy city. I'm quite particular about what I want. I'm not into Australia because I think it is exotic. It's better working ethos (when I manage to get onto one of the homebirth teams anyway)
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No it means no such thing. What it means is that people adapt their expectations to the reality around them. Newcomers of course are easier to accommodate, not knowing life in times before Sydney became an over priced place to live.

You would say the same about London. People adapt to changing circumstances by sharing, by down sizing, by moving further out to the edges.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...y&city2=London
Sydney remains ludicrous in prices regardless if it is a titch below an alpha city like London or not.

The financial industry is becoming of increasing importance in Sydney, to which it could well aggravate prices in that city even more, just as what happened in London from the eighties.

People do struggle in Sydney. And this is a time of cheap money. Property is insane.

Perth is purely a rip off, a carry over from the boom, and denial of changing economic conditions with anticipated results.

People put it down to isolation but those of us that have longer memories recall when Perth was cheap.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A very informative read, thank you. I will check out the link added as I haven't seen that.

I know I would earn loads in sydney and job wise, it is extremely easy for me to get one (well I've had 2 jobs offers... Not that I planned on taking them. I just wanted to see if I could). I just don't want to live in a busy city. I'm quite particular about what I want. I'm not into Australia because I think it is exotic. It's better working ethos (when I manage to get onto one of the homebirth teams anyway)

Sydney being so widespread as plenty of suburban areas without the hurley burley. But it is expensive. Has Australia a better working ethos? Not at all sure about that one. A lot of scammers here wanting big money as a sense of entitlement and perform badly. But people do work long hours in many areas and pay is better in many areas (not all) than UK.

I only know WA, but there has been difficulty with only less than half of the 102 midwife applicants managing to get places and 39% of the 1589 registered nurses secured places in this years twelve month graduate program. (WA Health Dept figures)
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes, I have said often in recent years you really need to target why you are coming here. Thinking you love sun and beaches may not cut it. The worst thing about AU is that it can be very homegenised..that is the one way it can differ from the UK..where there is more variety over smaller distances.. (ive said this countless times..).however, its only a problem for people who are not equipped to overcome this. Someone well set up for opportunity will sail past and on to the spoils..in fact AU can be remarkably diverse if you are well educated etc in a good location, and have access to a wide range of groups and interests: then it really takes off.

Make no mistake, the UK is not cheap by any means.
Something I often refer to. The homogenised nature of Australia dims interesting aspects somewhat, available in most countries with regional and nationwide difference.

I suspect the elite have long recognised this as a negative aspect and as a consequence revel in the growing cosmopolitan and racial nature especially of the bigger cities.

Well if you are well educated with the ability to finance your chosen locality, surely any European city will suit. Even more so with a greater variety of cultural pursuits and arts.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Good Post. I certainly agree it is the case. A lot don't want or are unable to see what is increasingly evident. Although apathy has long been an Australian curse. Sometimes confused with positivity.

The divide within society has become ever increasingly marked and all too seldom discussed as the wider implications within society are simply glossed over or ignored. Which far exceeds the wealth divide of course.
Mate, are you ever going to move from Perth? Its a question begging for what 10 years? What's keeping you there Sir?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually even quite recently some labour rates were cheaper. Its not always cheaper in uk. Supermarkets have caught up in AU..(noone whines anymore..)

No not always cheaper than OZ. In fact the few places I would only consider living in UK (although never my first choice of alternative country, or second) , the likelihood would be at least as expensive all told or even more.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mate, are you ever going to move from Perth? Its a question begging for what 10 years? What's keeping you there Sir?

It's home aren't it? Actually away a lot. Over four months abroad this year, not including, Twice to Sydney. Twice in New Zealand.

Not that I need to explain myself to you of course. You appear a little sensitive to factual information. By the way, hardly confined to Perth, but aspects of Australia in general to which I do like to offer a differing perspective. Feel free to offer your alternative versions to where I may be in error, rather than Facebook tactics. When are you going to move? Really. Surely you are capable of a something a little more than such a simplistic retort?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Something I often refer to. The homogenised nature of Australia dims interesting aspects somewhat, available in most countries with regional and nationwide difference.

I suspect the elite have long recognised this as a negative aspect and as a consequence revel in the growing cosmopolitan and racial nature especially of the bigger cities.

Well if you are well educated with the ability to finance your chosen locality, surely any European city will suit. Even more so with a greater variety of cultural pursuits and arts.
Language may be an issue amd the warmer climes might genuinely appeal..also the Fx rate still helps.Gnerally, you need to work in Finance where English is the language spoken in the office..

I believe AU is a mistake for most as they simply are not equipped to be successful and the people who move tend to be least equipped. As I've said before; its all part of provincial Uk life clashing with suburban and regional AU life. Earlier migrants winged it economically.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 7th 2018 at 3:16 am.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No not always cheaper than OZ. In fact the few places I would only consider living in UK (although never my first choice of alternative country, or second) , the likelihood would be at least as expensive all told or even more.
Bang on. The nicest places in the UK come with a tag. Go detached,character, 4 beds, a quarter acre..suddenly you are in a corner...

Uk is great for the Little Englander of semis, net curtains and the weekly shop...lots of people build their whole identities around that...
Old Jan 7th 2018, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's home aren't it? Actually away a lot. Over four months abroad this year, not including, Twice to Sydney. Twice in New Zealand.

Not that I need to explain myself to you of course. You appear a little sensitive to factual information. By the way, hardly confined to Perth, but aspects of Australia in general to which I do like to offer a differing perspective. Feel free to offer your alternative versions to where I may be in error, rather than Facebook tactics. When are you going to move? Really. Surely you are capable of a something a little more than such a simplistic retort?
Guilty as charged..but I see where you are coming from, only we seem to be able to square the circle..it may be that you place more emphasis on the negative..I talk about the negative as a bystander and observer not as a participant..

Ive never been sensitive to facts. I proud myself on sticking to facts and analysis based on pragmatic observation and a wealth of experiences.. You won't find me bringing up tired cliches like many an expat..you won't catch me discussing the price of lettuce or worrying about the inane.

Life is all we need here. I was just going to observe based on our talk of UK locales, that we have found a sort of pastiche of Surrey commuter belt, Malvern rolling hills in a 'Millionaires' row tree-lined avenue with large blocks but also a village feel.. I have a few fingers in a mixed bag of practical and sports organisations, relating to emergency services, snow sports, and alpine pursuits..also musically with the oldest symphonic orchestra in AU..which brings options for international tours..a good job not in battler-ville..opportunities for interstate and OS travel..my kids are in semi-elite programmes ..starting to emerge..bloody hell..they amaze me as I'm bloody useless..and the Chief of Staff is content. We visit other countries so that the kids can keep their bi-lingual fluency....

We fish, we beachhouse, ski and hunt..and laze around...I've started to become a sea and beach convert after all - why ever not! ..(but not for me the dolphin or whale obsession...)I am not very good at that.

So hard to find all that anywhere else..there will be opportunity to broaden horizons and spend time in other places later on when the kids are older..but AU is good for kids.

Cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 7th 2018 at 3:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.