Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Jan 4th 2018, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm on the Catford and Lewisham, Plus Forest Hill remember when facebook pages and the amount of whinging about the place is depressing.

It's my aim to go back one more time. This time rent a very local Air BNB for a couple of weeks at least where I was raised, mix with some old time school friends and see how I feel. Once last chance. God knows everywhere else I've visited there left me feeling slightly cold. Plus the other factor, seeing where you come from as a tourist is a distant and disjointed feeling. Especially when you have no family left in the area.

I'm hoping to come away with a good feeling about the place, rather than put the last nail in the coffin of my old memories. 4th time visit back lucky I hope.
I used to work at City Bank in Lewisham a few decades back so obviously not up the how life is like on the street now, but quite poor locality at the time.

But what I really wanted to say was a return in 2010 to live in my old manor, Bayswater, W2 did bring home a vastly changed environment from my days as a young person in that area and loving the whole London experience intensely. I stayed many years longer than anticipated as it was in my then world view simply the best and freest city outside of Amsterdam and Berlin that I knew.

There was an ease about the place. A casualness. Best place ever to be a young man and saviour the intimate delights that the world had to offer.
The best music. The street fashion/cred city of Europe ....affordable places to eat out most nights. A city of great tolerance. A city many reinvented themselves. Quite walkable. No need of a car.

Move forward to 2010 and changes in my old area very apparent. Far less live/energy on the street. The area now houses many in the financial area earning big money. West London no longer 'the hub' for short stayers in any way close to what it was. That had moved more down to East London.

My favourite near by park, Holland Park , where used to play tennis , had a fraction of the people there that I remembered from twenty five years before.
Probably due to the loss of bedsits, down the road, Earls Court, once bedsitter land, so many conversations to apartments and white English/European mothers pushing prams/strollers on the pavements.

Kensington seemed to have lost its pulse. Lots of wealthy Russians brought into the area over recent decades. Not forgetting those in the finance industry.

Hard to catch the mojo of the place, at least in the way I would have wished. Notting Hill another area cleansed and sanitised to a large extent.

I suspect Lewisham would have held out longer. London certainly retains its down at heel areas, but was that a feeling of increased malice I felt walking in areas like Hackney or just got older? Not sure but I came away with the conclusion, though enjoyed the five months there, there are things in life best left to memory and unless in a position to readily adapt to the change and way things are at the moment, best left alone and view as a tourist.

Be interesting to read your conclusions.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not a London fan myself but isn't it always the case that many young people from Britain always find Australia better if they decide to go there. Even if Melbourne was a dump, a young kid would just be impressed by the weather in summer and everything else is automatically great too. The things that might make Britain great are just not interesting for many youngsters who go to certain places. Even in Spain, you'll find a different type of tourist in Bilbao compared to Benidorm. Of course London changed like any other major city but if you are interested in history it's probably still there.

Not always the case. How can it be? A mixed bag. Some like it some don't. The money is often what is attractive to young people. Entry level jobs pay more than UK.
I guess London is no more the city of "cool' as it once was. At one time youth flocked to London for the vibe, music, street cred, fun. I guess in more recent times it's too hard work.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. This country is way too expensive in so many ways and if you like to holiday then the world is far more cheaply accessible from Europe/USa than Aus.
Package holidays aren't a thing here. Well at least not well priced ones aren't. This is an elitist country now and not the blue collar country most people think of it as.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Nope. This country is way too expensive in so many ways
And is so many other ways it's not

Many goods and services cheaper than the UK

Incomes and disposable incomes are higher than the UK

Purchasing power also higher

Hope this helps
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I used to work at City Bank in Lewisham a few decades back so obviously not up the how life is like on the street now, but quite poor locality at the time.

But what I really wanted to say was a return in 2010 to live in my old manor, Bayswater, W2 did bring home a vastly changed environment from my days as a young person in that area and loving the whole London experience intensely. I stayed many years longer than anticipated as it was in my then world view simply the best and freest city outside of Amsterdam and Berlin that I knew.

There was an ease about the place. A casualness. Best place ever to be a young man and saviour the intimate delights that the world had to offer.
The best music. The street fashion/cred city of Europe ....affordable places to eat out most nights. A city of great tolerance. A city many reinvented themselves. Quite walkable. No need of a car.

Move forward to 2010 and changes in my old area very apparent. Far less live/energy on the street. The area now houses many in the financial area earning big money. West London no longer 'the hub' for short stayers in any way close to what it was. That had moved more down to East London.

My favourite near by park, Holland Park , where used to play tennis , had a fraction of the people there that I remembered from twenty five years before.
Probably due to the loss of bedsits, down the road, Earls Court, once bedsitter land, so many conversations to apartments and white English/European mothers pushing prams/strollers on the pavements.

Kensington seemed to have lost its pulse. Lots of wealthy Russians brought into the area over recent decades. Not forgetting those in the finance industry.

Hard to catch the mojo of the place, at least in the way I would have wished. Notting Hill another area cleansed and sanitised to a large extent.

I suspect Lewisham would have held out longer. London certainly retains its down at heel areas, but was that a feeling of increased malice I felt walking in areas like Hackney or just got older? Not sure but I came away with the conclusion, though enjoyed the five months there, there are things in life best left to memory and unless in a position to readily adapt to the change and way things are at the moment, best left alone and view as a tourist.

How dare a white Englisher Aryan no less push a stroller through an affluent London burb. It is her society...and a fault of her birth..

(Part joke). The reality is that there is no need or space for cheap digs in W London. Its proximity to central London demands tht the laws of supply and demand dictates..alarger population..the real tragedy is high house prices..

Lewiscum and parts of the se are seeing professionals moving there this last decade..it will be fully gentrified in 10 more perhaps..

EDIT

Cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 6th 2018 at 2:14 am.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And is so many other ways it's not

Many goods and services cheaper than the UK

Incomes and disposable incomes are higher than the UK

Purchasing power also higher

Hope this helps

Look old chap, we appreciate, as Aussies, your appreciation in being allowed into Australia from a strife torn country, but lets keep it real. This country is far removed from the country it was, it is very expensive and becoming ever more divided.

I wonder what goods and services are cheaper than UK? But as both followed similar economic policies over recent times I'd say less advantage than in past times for working class people in Australia.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really comment (actually I shouldn't as it's nearly 5am here and I still haven't slept yet...) and please shoot me down (gently) if I'm wrong, but Australia from the research I've done appears more expensive than the UK.

Cost of living is much higher from what I gather and from speaking to people living in australia groceries are 'seasonal'. I'm guessing this is due to the ease of shipping stuff to the UK over somewhere as far as Aus

Xx
Old Jan 6th 2018, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How dare a white Englisher Aryan no less push a stroller through an affluent London burb. It is her society...and a fault of her birth..

(Part joke). The reality is that there is no need or space for cheap digs in W London. Its proximity to central London demands tht the laws of supply and demand dictates..alarger population..the real tragedy is high house prices..

Lewiscum and parts of the se are seeing professionals moving there this last decade..it will be fully gentrified in 10 more perhaps..

EDIT

Cheers
Darn cheek I suppose. Never looked at it that way. Nothing more likely to put Roo Valley of their amber nectar (as it once was known) No wonder no Aussie pubs are left standing in that quarter.

Well bedsit land has largely disappeared. Lots of reconversion to apartments in that area. Not due to lack of demand, just the growth of high paid financial industry for a large part has made the 'cheap' side of the market redundant.

I dare say Lewisham will fall under the developers influence at some stage. A lot may depend on how Brexit pans out and things like easy access by Europeans.
All so the rate of council housed tenants being sent out of London.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Clacfart
I can't really comment (actually I shouldn't as it's nearly 5am here and I still haven't slept yet...) and please shoot me down (gently) if I'm wrong, but Australia from the research I've done appears more expensive than the UK.

Cost of living is much higher from what I gather and from speaking to people living in australia groceries are 'seasonal'. I'm guessing this is due to the ease of shipping stuff to the UK over somewhere as far as Aus

Xx

You are correct. Pistols remain hoisted so don't fear. Of course Australia is more expensive, far more in certain aspects. I think that the poster was referring in part to higher pay rates. UK is rather low outside of the financial industry for example but at the same time there are cheaper alternatives in where to live.

I mean London may well be beyond the average citizen now, but there is Sheffield and countless of other places more affordable.

Australia is largely expensive regardless of main cities.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. Pistols remain hoisted so don't fear. Of course Australia is more expensive, far more in certain aspects. I think that the poster was referring in part to higher pay rates. UK is rather low outside of the financial industry for example but at the same time there are cheaper alternatives in where to live.

I mean London may well be beyond the average citizen now, but there is Sheffield and countless of other places more affordable.

Australia is largely expensive regardless of main cities.
Yes, I have said often in recent years you really need to target why you are coming here. Thinking you love sun and beaches may not cut it. The worst thing about AU is that it can be very homegenised..that is the one way it can differ from the UK..where there is more variety over smaller distances.. (ive said this countless times..).however, its only a problem for people who are not equipped to overcome this. Someone well set up for opportunity will sail past and on to the spoils..in fact AU can be remarkably diverse if you are well educated etc in a good location, and have access to a wide range of groups and interests: then it really takes off.

Make no mistake, the UK is not cheap by any means.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Look old chap, we appreciate, as Aussies, your appreciation in being allowed into Australia from a strife torn country, but lets keep it real. This country is far removed from the country it was, it is very expensive and becoming ever more divided.

I wonder what goods and services are cheaper than UK? But as both followed similar economic policies over recent times I'd say less advantage than in past times for working class people in Australia.
Actually even quite recently some labour rates were cheaper. Its not always cheaper in uk. Supermarkets have caught up in AU..(noone whines anymore..)
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Very good post I think and I share many of those observations.

I still think London overall has more to offer for a young or well-off person than any city in the world, and New York pales in comparison let alone the proximity of London to Europe for travel. However it really doesn't feel like an English city in many respects, for better or worse, and yes the vibrancy in many respects feels less- but then again this could be age having an effect on perception.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes, I have said often in recent years you really need to target why you are coming here. Thinking you love sun and beaches may not cut it. The worst thing about AU is that it can be very homegenised..that is the one way it can differ from the UK..where there is more variety over smaller distances.. (ive said this countless times..).however, its only a problem for people who are not equipped to overcome this. Someone well set up for opportunity will sail past and on to the spoils..in fact AU can be remarkably diverse if you are well educated etc in a good location, and have access to a wide range of groups and interests: then it really takes off.

Make no mistake, the UK is not cheap by any means.
I didn't say the UK is cheap. Just cheaper in some respects. Housing appears to be more expensive. Well, where I am anyway (not London).

It makes it easier that I'm not in it for the beaches. I dislike sand haha. However I would be lying if I said the sun wasn't a factor in my decision but in all honesty, it's my job and my skydiving primarily that is driving this.

Edit to say, I have a couple of skydiving friends in Perth and some in sydney
Old Jan 6th 2018, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart

Xx
Ok you asked. That's a nonsense statement.

Here's a factual one.

I have a greater proportion of my salary left in the bank account living in Sydney than I did living in London.

I would like to say I have more money living in Sydney but its hard to tell as exchange rates fluctuate.

But I certainly do have a better standard of living and more disposable income in Sydney over London.

Last edited by Beoz; Jan 6th 2018 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ok you asked. That's a nonsense statement.

Here's a factual one.

I have a greater proportion of my salary left in the bank account living in Sydney than I did living in London.

I would like to say I have more money living in Sydney but its hard to tell as exchange rates fluctuate.

But I certainly do have a better standard of living and more disposable income in Sydney over London.
A fair point. Is Sydney like London in the way though that you get paid more to work in that area?

All I know is I earn rubbish here. I would earn double in Aus at the lowest of my band.

But I also know that groceries are much more expensive, eating out etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.