Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Some of the worlds most expensive real estate, stagnant wages in many areas, poor politics, together with rapid population growth, close to the highest in the developed world, mostly due to immigration, not to mention the cost of the immigration process these days.

Is the price worth it? Those of us that that came/ returned last century or early millennium years had it so much easier. If I was considering a move in latter years, I would be thinking long and hard.......If in a comfortable place would probably negate thoughts of upheaval. If little/nothing much to loose then obviously a different story.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Moving To Australia Still Worth It In 2017/18

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some of the worlds most expensive real estate, stagnant wages in many areas, poor politics, together with rapid population growth, close to the highest in the developed world, mostly due to immigration, not to mention the cost of the immigration process these days.

Is the price worth it? Those of us that that came/ returned last century or early millennium years had it so much easier. If I was considering a move in latter years, I would be thinking long and hard.......If in a comfortable place would probably negate thoughts of upheaval. If little/nothing much to loose then obviously a different story.
Good point and I suppose it just depends what you want in life and from where you are coming. For many Northern Europeans over 30, Australia used to be the place where you could earn good money and either save, or settle there and have a great life + affordable housing.

Unless you are a multi-millionaire or have skills that are so in demand it's probably not worth it these days. For young people with nothing to lose still an option but if you have a nice home/life in the UK/Europe you probably wouldn't bother in 2017/2018. If it's for weather, It would be cheaper and easier to buy a bolt hole in Spain/Portugal or go on longer holidays. But of course even in Europe it's getting harder and the world is getting smaller.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour

Standard of living is great, there is tonnes of work in the eastern states with resources picking up in the west and inflation is low.

The politics stink but at least the current government are taking the country in the right direction from the mismanagement of the previous.

Housing is affordable once you are in. Challenges in saving the deposit due to risk adverse banks demanding 20%.

Housing affordability goes up and down.

Old Dec 15th 2017, 10:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Dec 15th 2017, 10:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No
Old Dec 15th 2017, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. My wife and I both make way more money than we would in Western Europe - my job in fact is not possible in Western Europe - and have a much better lifestyle.

Agree with Beoz on housing.

The politics are irrelevant. I would argue it is worse in the UK and Europe but at any rate should not be a factor.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Rather interesting to read. I often wonder whether the stress and costs are worth it but I truly think it is. Life in the UK (as much as I love England) is so hectic. I am not happy in the city living, I like the more relaxed outlook on life. I have many friends who are midwives who have worked in Australia at some point in their careers.
That and the fact I have a huge passion for skydiving and the UK is pants for that. It was -22 at 14,000 feet last week haha.

I am not sure on areas to live in and have only just come to a decision of which state to move to. My heart wants Perth in the sense that the coastal skydiving looks breath taking. But Adelaide it is I guess in terms of work.

I still feel as though a deer in head lights. I still need to look into how buying a house out there works (I want to buy a house straight out with my savings so no mortgage). I have no ties here in the UK, I don't own a house etc.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Rather interesting to read. I often wonder whether the stress and costs are worth it but I truly think it is. Life in the UK (as much as I love England) is so hectic. I am not happy in the city living, I like the more relaxed outlook on life. I have many friends who are midwives who have worked in Australia at some point in their careers.
That and the fact I have a huge passion for skydiving and the UK is pants for that. It was -22 at 14,000 feet last week haha.

I am not sure on areas to live in and have only just come to a decision of which state to move to. My heart wants Perth in the sense that the coastal skydiving looks breath taking. But Adelaide it is I guess in terms of work.

I still feel as though a deer in head lights. I still need to look into how buying a house out there works (I want to buy a house straight out with my savings so no mortgage). I have no ties here in the UK, I don't own a house etc.
I think Australia has lost a lot of it's shine.

If it's too busy in the UK, try moving domestically. I moved from London to Hove, still busy by some peoples standards, but it was a great change - and the weather south of the downs was actually very pleasant I thought.

And then ahead of Australia I'd actually prefer to move somewhere like the US, or even Germany - depends on your career I think.

I certainly couldn't imagine giving up the UK for Adelaide or Perth. Perth really is an isolated city, with not a lot to do.

My issues with Australia are the following :

-Value for Britons - when the pound was 3:1 and Australia was a lot cheaper, especially housing, then it was fantastic. When you could buy decent 3 bedroom houses in good areas for $350,000 - nowadays maybe they are $1.5m+ and salaries haven't really increased much

-Immigration - not an issue with immigration per se, but too much uncontrolled and unplanned immigration, and zero planning or action on the associated infrastructure. Many schools, hospitals, roads, services etc are seriously overloaded.

-Expense, now one of the most expensive countries in the world for many things. Food, utilities, clothes

-Nanny state mentality, though necessary given the intelligence levels of some of the bogans

-Political environment, it's a disaster area, dysfunctional and pathetic. Also too many conservatives for my liking.

I guess my conclusion is that I think the Australian cities have now got most of the problems of major world cities, without the benefits.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

If it's too busy in the UK, try moving domestically. I moved from London to Hove, still busy by some peoples standards, but it was a great change - and the weather south of the downs was actually very pleasant I thought.

And then ahead of Australia I'd actually prefer to move somewhere like the US, or even Germany - depends on your career I think.

I certainly couldn't imagine giving up the UK for Adelaide or Perth. Perth really is an isolated city, with not a lot to do.

-Value for Britons - when the pound was 3:1 and Australia was a lot cheaper, especially housing, then it was fantastic. When you could buy decent 3 bedroom houses in good areas for $350,000 - nowadays maybe they are $1.5m+ and salaries haven't really increased much

-Immigration - not an issue with immigration per se, but too much uncontrolled and unplanned immigration, and zero planning or action on the associated infrastructure. Many schools, hospitals, roads, services etc are seriously overloaded.

-Expense, now one of the most expensive countries in the world for many things. Food, utilities, clothes

-Nanny state mentality, though necessary given the intelligence levels of some of the bogans

-Political environment, it's a disaster area, dysfunctional and pathetic. Also too many conservatives for my liking.

I guess my conclusion is that I think the Australian cities have now got most of the problems of major world cities, without the benefits.
I agree with every single aspect with regards the above comments. Even to the point of alternative England location outside of London.
After considering carefully options within England, The City of Brighton and Hove, ticked the most boxes.

I have always thought Australia is far too conservative for its own good. The acceptance of rules and regulations goes somewhat against often cited, clichéd norms that some like to suggest as a trait of national character.

You are right of course with regards immigration. It is not a matter of being anti migrant. Indeed the cosmopolitan nature of the nation and the changes over recent few decades has been a big positive in the main.

But the rate of growth in many areas, running at record highs is hardly of benefit for the national health, apart from massaging GDP and storing up the housing market which has left an ever growing number of people out of the market and seriously distorted liveability in the major cities for many.

Work is another area of stress for many.I may just do a thread on the work environment separately on another occasion, so reserve comment here, apart from saying found wanting in many instances.

Last edited by the troubadour; Dec 16th 2017 at 3:43 am.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes. My wife and I both make way more money than we would in Western Europe - my job in fact is not possible in Western Europe - and have a much better lifestyle.

Agree with Beoz on housing.

The politics are irrelevant. I would argue it is worse in the UK and Europe but at any rate should not be a factor.
I wonder where in Western Europe you arrived from? I came from there as well and it took some years to reach earning capacity obtained there.

It was cheaper though, so felt richer, ate out three or more times a week, rent was cheap those times. House prices were easily within range of a cash purchase.

All seems far off now. Houses being some of the least affordable and rent protection, unlike in Europe doesn't exist.

I'd say the politics are very relevant. Laissez faire economics being largely why we are in the state we are in.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Impossible to answer. It'll be worth it for some because it'll give them what they want/expect/need, it won't be worth it for some because it won't give them what they want/expect/need. So, no different to moving to any country in the world.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

Funny that you should say you would prefer the US or Germany. I could very easily have gone to San Diego in California and had to turn down two University offers when looking properly into it with all their legislation on working etc. However, it is on my '10 year' plan. If I don't enjoy Australia (obviously I won't know until I am there) then my plan is to study my masters and move on. After all, it is all life experience and you only live once. The UK at the moment are under a great deal of political strain (you only have to say the word BREXIT and at least three people have a breakdown)

The UK weather is what restricts me. I feel the cold exceptionally easily. Even the UK weather in the summer when it is above 20 degrees I am usually wearing some kind of hoody/jumper/jacket haha. That and the activities I love to do are always supressed by cloud or rain.
Saying that though, I guess the crystal clear skies in the winter are somewhat of a beautiful scene... so long as I am sat in front of a fire looking out at it

I can't ay whether moving to Australia is worth it or not, only you good people who have made that move already can. Although I guess each person will view things in a different light.

We shall see I guess when I get out there xxx
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Impossible to answer. It'll be worth it for some because it'll give them what they want/expect/need, it won't be worth it for some because it won't give them what they want/expect/need. So, no different to moving to any country in the world.
and put so much more eloquently than myself
Old Dec 16th 2017, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I look at the UK online papers all I read about is Brexit or the weather or complaints about a politician or a celebrity or Britain’s waning political influence in the world.
What’s left is the charm of the countryside, decent pork products , quaint villages and a short hop to explore Europe.
Australia has decent weather, people who (mostly) speak English and supermarkets that stock (mostly) similar products from back home. Its TV and magazines are as bad as the UK and the cost of things is directly related to how much you are earning (housing is expensive, but wages are high)
So, weather is (mostly) all you’ve got and I think it’s a huge incentive. I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and spent a lot of time working in Brisbane and I love the fact that I have so many outdoor choices after work whether its evenings, weekends or on holiday. Beaches, parks, bbq’s, walking through the bush, fishing, cycling, watching kangaroos – there always seems something to do.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anzen12
and the cost of things is directly related to how much you are earning (housing is expensive, but wages are high)
That's the way the world works.

Simple economics. Its all relative to what people can spend.

Nothing is expensive or cheap unless you are using a foreign currency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.