Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia - Cost of relocating?

Moving to Australia - Cost of relocating?

Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:40 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia - Cost of relocating?

Originally Posted by Pete39
Hi
When you say not v expensive??? I am learning that everything's more expensive over there! We are a family of 4 so is it just costed per person?
Per family, but yes, Australia is cheap is a total myth, that it ain't.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Mrs_skinner is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving to Brisbane next month, our stuff went in the container 2 weeks ago and we have had confirmation to expect to have this beginning of September. We have just gone without this end hasn't been too difficult.

After paying for visas, flights, shipping, car hire, temp accommodation for 1 month and getting the dog over we have about $40,000 left, this is without jobs to go to but are making contact with agencies etc.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs_skinner
We are moving to Brisbane next month, our stuff went in the container 2 weeks ago and we have had confirmation to expect to have this beginning of September. We have just gone without this end hasn't been too difficult.

After paying for visas, flights, shipping, car hire, temp accommodation for 1 month and getting the dog over we have about $40,000 left, this is without jobs to go to but are making contact with agencies etc.
If you get your stuff beginning of Setepmber then you will have done very well. Seven weeks is definitely not the norm, we were nine weeks and considered ourselves very lucky compared to many.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you get your stuff beginning of Setepmber then you will have done very well. Seven weeks is definitely not the norm, we were nine weeks and considered ourselves very lucky compared to many.
Our container left our UK home on the 23rd October, landed in Brisbane on 26th November, through customs and AQIS and into storage by 10th December because we weren't ready for it, it was delivered to our new home on the 21st December. Wasn't aware of feeling lucky That was 10 years ago though.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The ship left UK 18th July and have been given an expected arrival date of 21st Aug + 10 days clearance. This is earlier than we expected for, we will be in a holiday let and see our stuff when it gets there.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The ship left UK 18th July and have been given an expected arrival date of 21st Aug + 10 days clearance. This is earlier than we expected for, we will be in a holiday let and see our stuff when it gets there.
for you

Few years back now but my stuff left England in mid October and was delivered in Brisbane at tthe end of February......some are quick, some not so quick!
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:55 am
blondie

BB and LG will become famous soon enough

Mrs_skinner,

We are just re-searching shipping companies to get some quotes for a move later this year. Do you mind telling me who you used and your experience? There are a lot out there to choose from!
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BB and LG
Mrs_skinner,

We are just re-searching shipping companies to get some quotes for a move later this year. Do you mind telling me who you used and your experience? There are a lot out there to choose from!
Thanks in advance.
Hi,

We used a company called 1st Move International. We have found the whole move easier than I thought to be honest. We had a 20ft container which was delivered to our house and we loaded ourselves. We had help with what paperwork needed to be completed etc and then they use a company called Conroy Removals who receive it in Australia.

Overall, so far it has been pain free. I have been emailed documents and guidance notes on what to complete. Im looking forward to getting our stuff too Definitely reccommend.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

removalizer is an unknown quantity at this point

As a mover we would charge between £3000 - £4000 door to door for a 20ft container max 3 bed house 2 children. plus inurance at £3.50 per £100 this doesn't include any import taxes though
Old Aug 12th 2016, 11:09 am
blondie

BB and LG will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We used a company called 1st Move International. We have found the whole move easier than I thought to be honest. We had a 20ft container which was delivered to our house and we loaded ourselves. We had help with what paperwork needed to be completed etc and then they use a company called Conroy Removals who receive it in Australia.

Overall, so far it has been pain free. I have been emailed documents and guidance notes on what to complete. Im looking forward to getting our stuff too Definitely reccommend.
Thank you for getting back to me. I will take a look at them. Hope you get your stuff soon!
Old Aug 12th 2016, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Getmedownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Moving to Australia - Cost of relocating?

[QUOTE=It is illegal for a real estate agent to rent a property to somebody that has not seen it so securing a long term rental from overseas is a bit of a non starter.[/QUOTE]

Would be interested to know under what law or regulation this is, or whether it's limited to certain states. I've not heard of this before.

We emigrated in 2010 and we selected and placed a deposit on a house based on internet photos. We stayed in that house for about 14 months.

Your moving costs are pretty much the easiest bit to calculate, simply because you can do this from the UK. My advice would be to bring as much as you want to keep, things are much more expensive to replace in Australia and second hand goods do fetch good prices if you want to replace things.

If you can bring your car, as long as it's not a luxury (expensive) car, I'd recommend doing it. It might seem costly and complicated but will save you an awful lot of money in the long run. Worth looking into vehicle standards and modifications needed for the particular model(s) of car(s) you have in the State you want to relocate to. Your car will also be worth much more in Australia when it comes to selling it later. I know of quite a few expat friends who did this and I only wish we had too back in 2010.

We did not have children when we emigrated but I am aware that Centrelink, will help out in terms of rent and child tax credits etc for low-income earners which may give some help to those emigrating with children. You will not be eligible for unemployment benefits until you become citizens which is currently 4 years after settling. Look at the Centrelink website for further info.

It's tough for the first 12 to 24 months but well worth it in the end.

Best of luck

Last edited by Getmedownunder; Aug 12th 2016 at 12:00 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pete39
Hi
When you say not v expensive??? I am learning that everything's more expensive over there! We are a family of 4 so is it just costed per person?
Basic Ambulance Cover in South Australia is $1.25 per month, or $15 per year for individuals and $30 for a family. That covers interstate ambulance charges too.

It's worth investing in Private Health Extras as soon as you can afford it to cover fees like dentists etc. Medicare will cover most of your other health bills such as hospitals, but be prepared nothing in health is free.*

*Unless you are on a tourist visa from the UK, in which case you get free cover. Britain and Australia have a reciprocal agreement. You pay less than an Australian Citizen
Old Aug 12th 2016, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Cars are going to be the biggest shock. In South Australia $3000 does not buy you much. Added is stamp duty and rego. For info; Stamp duty on a $3000 car will set you back another $60 in South Australia (RevenueSA). Rego is dependant on the vehicle but to give you a ball park figure you should budget about $60.00 per month for a 4 cylinder car (that includes $30 compulsory third party insurance). Optional private comprehensive insurance can be bought and will set you back about $50 per month if you choose to take out the extra cover.

Bringing your UK car is financially a good move in the long term if you can afford the export and import costs. I know of a few expat friends who have also imported UK caravans saving them thousands $$$.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Getmedownunder
Basic Ambulance Cover in South Australia is $1.25 per month, or $15 per year for individuals and $30 for a family. That covers interstate ambulance charges too.
Basic ambulance cover in SA is a lot more than $30 a year for a family. A family policy with SA Ambulance Service is $158 a year - and you can pay an extra $30 a year for interstate coverage.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

You are absolutely correct Jillibee. My mistake. I was wrongly quoting from the interstate cover extra. Correct prices are roughly $79 individual. $158 family. (2016).

We are personally covered for Ambulance on our private health insurance policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.