Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia

Moving to Australia

Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

dizzyprimrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Moving to Australia

Hi
You have probably heard this numerous times before, but....we are a British family who would like to move to Australia.
Ideally we are looking to go in about three years time.
Brisbane looks a good area to settle, although we are open to suggestions.
We have no relatives in Australia, but would like to relocate to a country where english is spoken and the people are as friendly as the weather is sunny!
My partner is a train driver with 25 years experience on the railway.
What are the chances of our being allowed to live in Australia? Would we be wasting our time trying? What are Australian's attitude to British people moving into their country?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
PS:Sorry if I'm rambling. This is the first time I have used a forum, as you no doubt can tell!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Moving to Australia

Good god dizzyprimrose,
you have asked a million questions all in one. welcome petal to the mad house. Australian are great adn they come on this forum. Brisbane is good although any where in Australia looks good compared to Manchester.
So carry on with the questions and the nice people of this forum will answer anything they can.
welcome petal
Lace
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to Australia

Originally Posted by dizzyprimrose
Hi
You have probably heard this numerous times before, but....we are a British family who would like to move to Australia.
We have no relatives in Australia, but would like to relocate to a country where english is spoken and the people are as friendly as the weather is sunny!
What are the chances of our being allowed to live in Australia? Would we be wasting our time trying? What are Australian's attitude to British people moving into their country?
Thanks.
PS:Sorry if I'm rambling. This is the first time I have used a forum, as you no doubt can tell!!
welcome to the forum!
our first port of call was to do an online assessment which is free(the only thing that is free during the emmigration process) there are loads available on the web. just give 1 a go!
all the best for the future!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:59 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks.
The best bit of advice I can offer on information provided is 'don't let the grass grow under your feet'. If you are reliant on certain types of visa they are harder to get the older you are. Contact an agent in the first instance - many give free initial consultations and then you will know whether it is feasible or not. Several agents are highly recommended and post on this forum (Alan Collett, George Lombard etc - try using the search feature)

Good luck

Binbird
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

I would recommend going onto the DIMIA website http://www.dimia.gov.au/ and having a look at the 'Migrating to Australia' bit to get an idea of the ways in which you can emmigrate.

Would also recommend downloading the relevant form, I know the booklet that accompanies the application for independent skilled also explained the points system so you could check whether its worth applying.....

As has been stated I would get moving if you are serious about it....I know I kept leaving it year after year after year and then only just got in by the skin of my teeth!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks.
Before you go any further you really need to check out whether you have the relevant skills and meet the other criteria such as the right age to get a visa.

For example if the main applicant is over 45 then it gets difficult (you did say he worked on the railways for 25 years. What age is he?). If your skills do not get enough points that is also a problem

Don't build up your hopes until you know if you are eligible. start here:

www.immi.gov.au

If that looks OK then go for it.

Good luck

G