Reload this Page >

moving to Australia

moving to Australia

Old Feb 27th 2003, 5:40 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Australia

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew very much about Adelaide. We are looking into migrating, and we would like to know as much as possible about the city and the suburbs.

Also, I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has dual nationality (Britain-Australia). I would like to know where I stand, and also where my husband stands regarding entry.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Australia

Do a search on the internet for Adelaide Australia, and lots of sites will come up. Depends really what aspect of adelaide you are looking for.

Most of us on this forum either have just been granted PR or are waiting for PR and will there fore gain dual nationality if apply for citizenship when we move.

If you are looking to emigrate you should check whether you are eligible on www.immi.gov.au. Download the booklets.

Good Luck
Mash...

Originally posted by jaz
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew very much about Adelaide. We are looking into migrating, and we would like to know as much as possible about the city and the suburbs.

Also, I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has dual nationality (Britain-Australia). I would like to know where I stand, and also where my husband stands regarding entry.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by jaz

Hi Jaz

I have dual nationality. I was born in England and migrated with my parents in 1972. Applied for citizenship when I was about 21 (such a long time ago now!).

I am about to apply for a Spouse Visa for my partner so that we can all move back to Australia in September. As long as you can prove that you have been in a relationship for more than 12 months, I don't think the process is too difficult. As we have lived together for nearly 4 years and have a 4 year old daughter, a mortgage and a bank account in both names, we are in the enviable position of probably being granted visa quickly (fingers crossed).
Old Feb 28th 2003, 8:34 am
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jaykay

Do you need to apply for an Australian passport to be a citizen, or the other way around. Maybe I would just keep my British passport.

I was born in Australia, and my parents were classed as perminent residants. We moved back to England by the time I was 3, and so I have had an English passport.

Sounds much easier than I thought.
Old Feb 28th 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need to apply for an Australian passport to be a citizen, or the other way around. Maybe I would just keep my British passport.
Hello Jaz

If you were born in Australia, I would assume you would automatically be entitled to both citizenship and therefore an Australian passport.

You would have to be an Australian citizen to obtain an aussie passport. I have dual nationality and two passports, but I find that as almost all my travel is to and from Australia I only use the Australian passport (it's quicker going through customs).
Old Feb 28th 2003, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by jaz
Thanks Jaykay

I was born in Australia, and my parents were classed as perminent residants. We moved back to England by the time I was 3, and so I have had an English passport.

Sounds much easier than I thought.
Jaz

If you are applying for a Spouse Visa, you will need proof of Citizenship, so as long as you have an Australian Birth Certificate, I think that should suffice.

As I wasn't born there, I'll use my Australian Passport and my citizenship papers as proof.

I also hold 2 passports and when travelling to Australia, I use my English Passport on the way out of England, and my Australian Passport when entering Australia.
Old Mar 6th 2003, 10:35 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jaz

I too have dual nationality and am married to an english guy. You will have to apply for a spouses visa for him. Also if you have children that were born in the UK i suggest that you apply for australian citizenship by decent as this will entitle them to an australian passport and in theory they shouldn't need a visa to move to Australia (don't quote me on that though!!!)