Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Aus advice

Moving to Aus advice

Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Aus advice

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
we will struggle leaving family behind,

This is the reason most people give who return to the UK.

If you spend a reasonable amount of time now visiting family/friends, the grandparents love visiting the children, kids enjoy playing with cousins etc, Christmas is always spent with family, then having none of this support network and a 24 hour flight to see anyone, seems to negatively affect people's ability to settle. Lost count of the number of people who say "we've made some friends, but its not the same'

Knowing before you go how much you are going to miss your family/friends is a telling comment.
This. Even people who don't think they're particularly close to their immediate family suddenly find they struggle to cope being unable to pop round for a chat. Others who are close find they cope quite nicely by the rellies coming out for six weeks at a time.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
"Daddy sold a successful business to open a burger bar in Orlando?"

Ok. If daddy had a successful business then one would assume he had money, and also made some good money by selling the business. So a year out trying a burger bar business is no great shakes. If daddy wasn't such the businessman he thought he was and failed at a burger business, so what, if he was smart he would have put part of the killings from his UK business aside, and risked some on a burger business. If daddy was dumb then bad luck, there will be some like Troubadour who can't make a go of their experience abroad. I am sure the kids enjoyed the beach and lots of additional sunshine in Florida.

Life experience ....... daddy can't run a burger business.
You'd do all the better leaving me out of your snide comments. But in answer, your short comings are all the more highlighted, if I can put it like that, from overseas experience with people that can actually debate.
As for your claim of success in business, again it does not necessary suggest any such thing. A successful business does not infer money. It does though not losing it. It takes time to build up reserves, but a business may well be successful in the process of doing so.
Reasons for wanting change may be varied. Most likely a less stressful life Some value life quality over money.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

You only live once. Get out and explore. Worse case scenario, you had a life experience.
There are numerous life experiences to be had than packing up and moving to Australia on a whim though. Many more adventurous and less risky with an intact life to return to.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
Security is good. I thought of that a lot when I was on Skid Row ! Not sure that taking chances is always smart - especially when children are involved.
Indeed. When children enter the equation, throwing life to chance by moving across the world in an attempt to recreate the security already in place is questionable.
Australia is very far removed from the country where success of sorts came rather easily for past generations.
Obviously all is possible but downsides need to be seriously considered.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some value life quality over money.
If this is the wrap up, then there is no reason for the OP not to give it a shot. They are obviously not valuing their life quality where they are otherwise the question would not be raised.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If this is the wrap up, then there is no reason for the OP not to give it a shot. They are obviously not valuing their life quality where they are otherwise the question would not be raised.
They may well have bought into the 'picture' too often 'sold ' over in UK. Shows like 'Wanted Down Under' for example. The glossy promotion all very well but a dose of reality can shine a different light onto the matter.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

They may well have bought into the 'picture' too often 'sold ' over in UK. Shows like 'Wanted Down Under' for example. The glossy promotion all very well but a dose of reality can shine a different light onto the matter.
The majority of people who know we lived in Australia then returned home day "oh you must miss that lifestyle hugely" I ask if they have been (because they seem to know the lifestyle) and they say no but they watch all the TV programmes/shows on aus !! the ones who don't think we're mad for leaving have either visited Aus on a few occasions, have family who live in Australia or have lived in Australia themselves. I am all for "giving things ago" we did that ourselves but would I risk it if we were doing "well" for ourselves .... then no...because doing "well" is really a blessing in this day and age....anywhere.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1
The majority of people who know we lived in Australia then returned home day "oh you must miss that lifestyle hugely" I ask if they have been (because they seem to know the lifestyle) and they say no but they watch all the TV programmes/shows on aus !! the ones who don't think we're mad for leaving have either visited Aus on a few occasions, have family who live in Australia or have lived in Australia themselves. I am all for "giving things ago" we did that ourselves but would I risk it if we were doing "well" for ourselves .... then no...because doing "well" is really a blessing in this day and age....anywhere.
Indeed. Little is easy and Australia is far removed from the rewards it once brought UK migrants. Obviously sunshine is a big seller, quite probably one of the few aspects to living here, that hasn't changed dramatically over the decades. My thoughts are come when young and do the Back packing thing. That's the way to Australia, above and beyond what the average Australian experiences. At least until they retire and become a Grey Nomad. But later in life , serious questions should be asked as to the wisdom of such a move.
It has long become a business. Australia wants turbo population growth to grow/save the economy. How these people manage once arrived here is of little concern.
Life is expensive. It can prove very hard to develop 'real' friendships. People tend to be more standoffish than expected. Like all things some may benefit. Best just don't take it as a given. People should be aware of a break in relationships as well. One side likes it other detests it. All sorts of dynamics can come from that.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
then no...because doing "well" is really a blessing in this day and age....anywhere.
Well said and what always surprises me the most is that people wanting to move to Australia, Canada etc. seem to be focused on the whole country and the whole country is great. If it's the UK, people will look at every aspect and the same person will not even move 50 miles away because they feel the school in City A is not as good as the one in City B. As the troubadour mentioned, sunshine is of course the big seller but even my Spanish friends look at other factors first and sunshine is the bonus and not the main factor. No doubt I also like the sun/sea and we're lucky enough to have a small place in Spain and could drive there before Covid but so far no job offer has made me want to move there permanently.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well said and what always surprises me the most is that people wanting to move to Australia, Canada etc. seem to be focused on the whole country and the whole country is great. If it's the UK, people will look at every aspect and the same person will not even move 50 miles away because they feel the school in City A is not as good as the one in City B. As the troubadour mentioned, sunshine is of course the big seller but even my Spanish friends look at other factors first and sunshine is the bonus and not the main factor. No doubt I also like the sun/sea and we're lucky enough to have a small place in Spain and could drive there before Covid but so far no job offer has made me want to move there permanently.
I guess, in a sense Australia is more 'standardised' than UK. Most all capital city's, at any rate , have a choice of expensive private schools as well as 'ordinary' schools. Hence it is more a matter of employment prospects, and remember most all Australian cities are rather large in population compared to UK cities. Hence more focus on entirety of country.

More likely a case of successful marketing these days on the part of Australia, than any really meaningful betterment in living standards.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

At some point, you need to draw the line, and not let your mistakes influence the decisions of others. Using reality TV shows is now drawing a very long bow.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Any professional or trade like job is very hard to get in Spain for a British expat. Language for starters can be a barrier. Spain is hardly renowned for being the centre of excellence for anything other than partying for a few months of the year. If jobs and sunshine are important better to be in a big metropolitan area with a beach on its door step.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At some point, you need to draw the line, and not let your mistakes influence the decisions of others. Using reality TV shows is now drawing a very long bow.
Yes reality TV shows certainly influence. The only line that needs to be drawn, is dropping self interest (you after all cheer on turbo immigration) and admit Australia in more recent times is not the place it once was
for emigrating Brits.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Any professional or trade like job is very hard to get in Spain for a British expat. Language for starters can be a barrier. Spain is hardly renowned for being the centre of excellence for anything other than partying for a few months of the year. If jobs and sunshine are important better to be in a big metropolitan area with a beach on its door step.
And Australia is renown for excellence? Come now, most will know Spain is for most, not to place to seek out work. The language can be an impairment, but many get by with limited knowledge.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 6:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest that those of you that want to discuss the politics of emigrating to Australia, or elsewhere, open a thread for that topic.

In this case, looks like the OP has stopped posting - thread closed.