Reload this Page >

Moving to Aus advice

Moving to Aus advice

Old Aug 17th 2020, 7:50 am
Just Joined

jamesandkelz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Aus advice

Hi Guys,

We are a family of myself and wife along with 5 year old twins, seriously considering selling up and a move to Australia in the near future for a better life for us and our children.

Wondering if there is such thing as a company that can advise us with the hundreds of questions we have? i know there are agents that can help with visas etc, but would really like to sit down with someone and discuss the move in general.

One of the main issues is im currently running a flooring business here in the UK which i really want out of and looking to start a new career elsewhere. and also discuss how buying a home works and areas that would us,

Hope someone can help

Old Aug 17th 2020, 8:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Aus advice

Originally Posted by jamesandkelz
Hi Guys,

We are a family of myself and wife along with 5 year old twins, seriously considering selling up and a move to Australia in the near future for a better life for us and our children.

Wondering if there is such thing as a company that can advise us with the hundreds of questions we have? i know there are agents that can help with visas etc, but would really like to sit down with someone and discuss the move in general.

One of the main issues is im currently running a flooring business here in the UK which i really want out of and looking to start a new career elsewhere. and also discuss how buying a home works and areas that would us,

Hope someone can help
Hi, welcome to BE.

There may be a company, but you've found BE now, so no need to pay anybody for that kind of info! A good search of the forum and read of threads will get you started, and you can ask any and all questions here, and somebody will always try and help.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply,

We have absolutely no idea where to start, but searching the forum this evening.

Were pretty sure that we dont want to stay here or bring our kids ups in this country, we will struggle leaving family behind, but its time we thought of ourselves!
Old Aug 17th 2020, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply,

We have absolutely no idea where to start, but searching the forum this evening.

Were pretty sure that we dont want to stay here or bring our kids ups in this country, we will struggle leaving family behind, but its time we thought of ourselves!
Hi and welcome to BE

The Home Affairs visa finder is a good place to start. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...sa/visa-finder Unfortunately not everyone who wants to live in Australia qualifies for a visa.

I'd suggest you have a look at work visas and see if there's one you think you qualify for, then come back and ask specific questions. Be prepared to give some (non-identifying) personal information such as job experience, qualifications, age etc if you want useful responses.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Brilliant, at least we know where to make a start.

Thanks very much
Old Aug 17th 2020, 11:49 am
Just Joined

So basically ive ran our business as a floor fitter/salesman, i also have experance as a photographer idealy i would like to get into the photography trade. Kelly has experiance in admin and also working within our business.

would a working visa be what we should look into?
Old Aug 17th 2020, 1:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So basically ive ran our business as a floor fitter/salesman, i also have experance as a photographer idealy i would like to get into the photography trade. Kelly has experiance in admin and also working within our business.

would a working visa be what we should look into?
Well unless one of you is an Australian citizen, then pretty much your only way in is going to be on a Skills Visa. The 189 is the best visa, if you qualify for it, as it gives you permanent residency without being tied to any employer. However you do need a trade that ison a skills list Have a look through this page
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...ccupation-list
Old Aug 17th 2020, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you’ve got millions to invest in Australia then from what you’ve written it’d be hard to find your qualification/skill/experience on the skills wanted list I would think, but talk to an agent. Meanwhile, try and be specific about what you think might make Australia a “better” life for you. It’s just another foreign first world country where you will be isolated on the other side of the world from friends and family. You might just as easily, and more cheaply, get the “better” thing going by a move within U.K.
Don’t stress about the house buying, choosing an area etc until you’re sure you can get a visa - a lot of people just don’t have what Australia wants these days

Last edited by quoll; Aug 17th 2020 at 8:28 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

we will struggle leaving family behind, but its time we thought of ourselves!
This is a very good way to think. Leaving family is tough and some will be bitter and never get on a plane to see you, others will. But don't let stop you. The world is a big place, full of things to explore (not just on holiday but while living a daily life). A no regrets attitude is the way forward. Family will always be there.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help
Just remember there are no guarantees that a move to Australia will result in a better life. As to discussing the move, do you mean like a paid consultant? Never heard of such a thing. Usually it is word of mouth from those already there or family or forums such as this.
All a personal journey, a lot will depend on the breaks you get on arrival in Australia. Quite a bit of luck required and having a few contacts would prove invaluable.

Old Oct 15th 2020, 7:44 am
Just Joined

sainath99 is an unknown quantity at this point

you need to get another visa as you are looking to stay and work in australia
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Just remember there are no guarantees that a move to Australia will result in a better life. As to discussing the move, do you mean like a paid consultant? Never heard of such a thing. Usually it is word of mouth from those already there or family or forums such as this.
All a personal journey, a lot will depend on the breaks you get on arrival in Australia. Quite a bit of luck required and having a few contacts would prove invaluable.
Moving for a better life for the children would also concern me. There are issues galore here suggesting the 'picture painted life ' sometimes presented by marketing is far of track. Lots of social issues, mental health issues, isolation issues, drug issues, out there in the community.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Moving for a better life for the children would also concern me. There are issues galore here suggesting the 'picture painted life ' sometimes presented by marketing is far of track. Lots of social issues, mental health issues, isolation issues, drug issues, out there in the community.
Talking to yourself again I see
Old Oct 18th 2020, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP ever moved? Moving for a bettter life for the children seems to be mentioned all the time but I often wonder if it's really about kids these days. Nothing against OP personally but how often do you hear parents say it's about kids and in reality it's the parents who are unhappy with their own life and kids are actually used as an excuse. There's nothing wrong wanting to have a better life but I often see the same parents more interested in their mobile phones when the kids would actually be happy to play outside. The parents complain when it's raining outside and outdoor living is not possible, although the child never complained before. The parents are willing to give up a successful business or job for a better life for the kids and might even move to parts of the world that are more likely to suffer from climate change? If the better job and location comes with financial benefits, then take the chance but maybe some people should accept that their life isn't as bad as they make it and kids are actually pretty happy where they are.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 3:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Scouse and his first wife (deceased) moved from Liverpool UK to Australia in 1990, for precisely the reason the OP gives, to give their children the chance of a better life. The job situation in Liverpool was dire at the time, scouse was a pipe fitter and although he did find jobs they were all in Germany or the Netherlands and fixed contracts - he spent long periods of time away from home and then even longer back home searching for work. He even went to Aberdeen for a month's work.

I know the move doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for them. Their boys really got into different sports, both at school and at outside clubs. The continual hacking cough that one had in the UK disappeared. They were happy, healthy and had a good education at a private school. Two of them have good careers, one just flits about doing this and that. There's always one

Scouse got a permanent job offshore on oil and gas rigs, earned good money and was able to buy a nice home for the family, provide everything the needed and take frequent holidays.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it doesn't not work for everyone either. As has been said, determining your visa eligibility is the first step. Then before you even think about applying, research. It's not something to just jump into, research research research, and then do some more research.

Question yourselves about what you want to achieve from the move. Make these concrete achievements, a better life is ok but you can't set performance indicators against a better life. You need to define what a better life for your children means in concrete terms (buying your own home? having well paid work? access to good health care? living in a safe environment? etc), and investigate the likelihood of Australia providing you with the opportunity to reach those goals.

Something people often leave out of the mix is the effect of moving away from their support network, family and friends. This isn't a big deal for some, for others it means the difference between being happy or miserable in Australia.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.