Moving to Aus!

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Aus!

New to this site so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong bit!

Over the past couple of months the OH and I have decided that Aus is definitely the place we want to be for the next few years! Now all we have to do is save up the money for the fees etc. We are 24 and 25 and just feel like the UK has nothing to offer us in the future. Neither of us have been to Aus before but having done tons of research in the past couple of months, and knowing people who have visited and lived there, we know it'd be the right thing for us to do

My OH is a hairdresser with around 10 years experience, and I'm working as a travel agent. Found out we're eligible to move under the Skilled Migration visa, so good news so far!

Looking at Adelaide at the moment, but are not averse to any other suggestions etc. Think Sydney would be too expensive, Brisbane way too hot and sticky, Melbourne too rainy and unpredictable weather-wise (we can stay in the UK for that!), and Perth too isolated from the rest of the other states (although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!).

Am really looking forward to it, although it's a couple of years off yet - we hope to have the money saved by the end of the year, so hopefully will have lodged our application this time next year.

But can some people just clarify one thing for me? Is Australia really that full of horrible terrifying bugs and creatures!? I am scared to death of spiders - just how common are they? Where are they normally found? And just how often are they seen!!!?

Any opinions on Adelaide, and the need for hairdressers there, would be much appreciated - thanks guys.

- Fil
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Aus!

Hi, I lived in Adelaide,its very quiet,,lovely layed back place to live,,my teenagers loved it there! they knew the places to go. Cant give you any info on hairdressing jobs,I would go bk tomorrow,but jobs were very dificult to get for me & hubby!

going to perth next,Adelaide felt isolated to so mayaswel go to Perth for jobs,,better prospects!

Bluekipper
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome to the site

This reply will be of no help but just thought I would say hello and I am moving to Adelaide too.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FilSheff

Over the past couple of months the OH and I have decided that Aus is definitely the place we want to be for the next few years! Now all we have to do is save up the money for the fees etc. We are 24 and 25 and just feel like the UK has nothing to offer us in the future. Neither of us have been to Aus before but having done tons of research in the past couple of months, and knowing people who have visited and lived there, we know it'd be the right thing for us to do

My OH is a hairdresser with around 10 years experience, and I'm working as a travel agent. Found out we're eligible to move under the Skilled Migration visa, so good news so far!

Looking at Adelaide at the moment, but are not averse to any other suggestions etc. Think Sydney would be too expensive, Brisbane way too hot and sticky, Melbourne too rainy and unpredictable weather-wise (we can stay in the UK for that!), and Perth too isolated from the rest of the other states (although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!).

Am really looking forward to it, although it's a couple of years off yet - we hope to have the money saved by the end of the year, so hopefully will have lodged our application this time next year.

But can some people just clarify one thing for me? Is Australia really that full of horrible terrifying bugs and creatures!? I am scared to death of spiders - just how common are they? Where are they normally found? And just how often are they seen!!!?

Any opinions on Adelaide, and the need for hairdressers there, would be much appreciated - thanks guys.

- Fil
Hi and welcome - have you thought of Canberra? Quite a growing expat community here and the weather is great!!

BTW are you from Sheffield??
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

- Fil
Hi Filsheff,

Congratulations on making your decision - a good one as far as my opinion goes. We live in Brisbane, and although, yes during Summer (Dec, Jan and Feb), the weather is hot and sticky, the rest of the year is fabulous. Qld is probably the only state (apart from NT prob), that you can eat outside all year round etc. The winter days are fabulous, blue skies and very little rain. Know how you feel about the spiders and bugs, it was one of my wife's main concerns. However, we don't see them every day, or even every month. If you're careful with doors and windows, there's no reason you should get them in the house (the big huntsman spiders I'm talking about). Also, will depend on where you settle, ie. if you go for a house surrounded by lots of trees etc.,you'll see more. I have only seen 4 snakes in 3.5 years and I work outside in the building trade. Haven't seen a redback for about 2 years. Best of luck with your plans.

Dale
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:15 am
ABCDiamond

Australia may be full of them, but most of us rarely see any

Dale says he has seen 4 snakes in 3.5 years, that's more than me, and I have been here for 18 years. But then, I rarely go out in the bush.

Spiders used to terrify me too, but these days, if I see one, I go in the other direction, and let my 12 yr old daughter take care of it Sometimes though I just spray the fly killer on it....

It isn't as bad as you may read.

Oh yes, Brisbane.... Some area's are hot and sticky, others aren't, although we have just had 3 days of sticky weather ourselves !! A small price to pay for the rest of the year though
The temp in my area, for the last 48 hours has varied between 24°C (cold of night) and 31°C (heat of the day). But inland it has reached about 40°C in some places.

Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I will get it out the way first......I am not haveing ago at anyone and I will apologise in advance if I upset anyone.....but I would like to ask people where do they get the view that "creepy crawlies" are "everywhere"?

I am not having a go I am only the question
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:52 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Hi, I lived in Adelaide,its very quiet,,lovely layed back place to live,,my teenagers loved it there! they knew the places to go. Cant give you any info on hairdressing jobs,I would go bk tomorrow,but jobs were very dificult to get for me & hubby!

going to perth next,Adelaide felt isolated to so mayaswel go to Perth for jobs,,better prospects!

Bluekipper
Perth can be quite isolated as well!
or so people keep on saying anyway!
Carol
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Tomski Tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi FilSheff. We have just come back from a recce in Sydney. I too am terrified of "creepy crawlies" and fully expected to jump on the next flight back when all the snakes and spiders that were waiting for me attacked me the minute I stepped off the aeroplane! I didn't see any spiders at all...we saw cockroaches in the street (probably about 4 in the 2 weeks we were there), and there were those tiny lizard things on a wall outside our apartment and on the rocks at Watsons Bay. And that was it! We are hoping to move out in the next 6-9 months and I feel better about the bugs now I have actually been but I will be ensuring my fly screens are hole free and that I have a good supply of spray killer at my disposal!

Didn't actually see the shark that was in water at Palm beach, but it was definately there!

Good luck with your Oz dream!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I will get it out the way first......I am not haveing ago at anyone and I will apologise in advance if I upset anyone.....but I would like to ask people where do they get the view that "creepy crawlies" are "everywhere"?

I am not having a go I am only the question
I never said anything about them being "everywhere". It may well have been a general question, but believe it or not I do not expect myself to be wading through a sea of Huntsman spiders on the way to work - but I just wanted to know for my piece of mind just how often people tend to see them.

Not that this would be a deciding factor of whether I come or not though - oh I will get there eventually!

Still doing lots of research, and even though it might be a couple of years off yet, I am still so excited! - thanks to all those who have replied so far
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am sorry I didn't mean particullary you personally it was meant to be a general everywhere. I get asked the question "are they everywhere?" all the time in the UK. Now would not be a good time to tell you I was bitten by a spider once. It in nice to be excited about it, no longer how long it takes. It keeps me motivated to stop procrastinating and get on with things to help us with the move.

I hope it goes well with you

I never said anything about them being "everywhere". It may well have been a general question, but believe it or not I do not expect myself to be wading through a sea of Huntsman spiders on the way to work - but I just wanted to know for my piece of mind just how often people tend to see them.

Not that this would be a deciding factor of whether I come or not though - oh I will get there eventually!

Still doing lots of research, and even though it might be a couple of years off yet, I am still so excited! - thanks to all those who have replied so far
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

You are more likely to get cockroaches. We see quite a few whitetails, but the most irritating thing is walking through the gigantic webs the creatures string up across the path. I try to let my OH go first!!!!
BTW Adelaide is very hot atm- over 40degrees!
Sydney can be expensive- just depends where you live. Lots of things to do here and not as humid as Brissie.
Good luck with your choice