Reload this Page >

Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:58 am
Just Joined

charlie76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Hi all,
It's been a long time since I last posted here!

I've been living in Adelaide since 2007 and have made the decision that I need a change in life - again, so I'm planning a move to Sydney

I've been applying for jobs in Sydney and am quite hopeful about one in particular at the moment. But of course, then I have to move.

It's 4.5 years since I arrived in Adelaide with a couple of suitcases and a backpack, so I have lots of stuff now! I'm single, in rental accommodation so that helps a lot.

I was just wondering if there's anyone out there that has done a similar interstate move? I'm after advice around the move - do I attempt an 18 hour drive in a truck with my stuff? Any recommendations for removalists? Any suggestions for temporary accommodation on arrival whilst looking for a new home? Do I take my car or buy a new-to-me car when I get to NSW? Realistically, how long should I allow between finishing work in Adelaide and starting in Sydney?

So many questions
But if anyone has experiences on a similar move then I'd love to hear how you went.

Thanks....!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Do you REALLY want to come to Sydney? I mean the harbour and beaches are beautiful and all that but this city has it major drawbacks and seems stuck in around 1974 in many respects.

But I suppose coming from Adelaide where it is around 1954 it will seem thoroughly modern
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Do you REALLY want to come to Sydney? I mean the harbour and beaches are beautiful and all that but this city has it major drawbacks and seems stuck in around 1974 in many respects.

But I suppose coming from Adelaide where it is around 1954 it will seem thoroughly modern
What do you see as the major drawbacks, Seayork, apart from the traffic snarls? (oh God the traffic snarls...). And what makes you say 1974? (I've lived here since 1986 not sure what it was like 12 year prior)
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:25 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Moving from Adelaide to Sydney

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Unfair! You obviously haven't seen the state government's latest press release about the Northern Expressway:

The Northern Expressway contributes to a key objective of assisting national economic and social development aimed at improving the efficiency, safety and reliability of the national transport network. This innovative and visionary project will drive Adelaide confidently into the 1960s.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

Your circumstances are almost exactly the same as mine (although I am married). My wife and I have been living in Sydney for almost 4 years and want a change of life and are considering Brisbane as our next destination.

We will also need to think about removal companies, so I'll be following this thread with much interest .

I too am waiting for a job to come up in another city (Brisbane in this case), but the job market in my line of work seems extremely tight and the couple of jobs I have applied for have amounted to nothing.

Our main reasons for moving are:

- more affordable housing
- less big city stress (we think Brisbane will have its problems, but cannot see it as bad as Sydney)
- warmer winters
- more accessible to the Sunshine Coast and Great Barrier Reef

Have you spent much time in Sydney? I think it has plenty of positives, with a good vibe. My wife and I are just not that really into the bar/club scene anymore and prefer a quieter life these days so that side of things may suit you.

Be prepared for much poorer weather though - the last 18 months or so has seen much more rainy days, cloudy weather etc. Hopefully next summer will be La Nina free. I suspect our late winters trump Adelaides though plus there is more evening warmth much of the time.

Best of luck with the move anyway

PS Just realised the OP posted this 5 months ago....
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

What in particular do you find stressful about Sydney, Greenman? What area are you in? I've lived all over Sydney for the last 27 years and it's changed so much - traffic, culture, level of aggression, high density living. It just doesn't have the same relaxed "kind" vibe any more.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:05 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Sydney and I'm very happy and gay.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TopCat3
What in particular do you find stressful about Sydney, Greenman? What area are you in? I've lived all over Sydney for the last 27 years and it's changed so much - traffic, culture, level of aggression, high density living. It just doesn't have the same relaxed "kind" vibe any more.
For me the big city stress relates to:

- longish commuting times (2.5 hours door to door in total each day)
- people are less friendly and closed off. We have a circle of friends but have noticed people's guards are up more)
- constantly playing "human dodgems" when walking around the city
- driver stress and aggression on the roads

We live out near Bondi Junction and have done so the last three years.

Also, and this is going to sound like a complete whine, been very disappointed with the weather here. Sure, Brisbane is hardly a dry climate these days, by at least they have warmer winters.

The other reason we are moving is we've had a bad series of family tragedies the last 12 months so I think a change will do us good.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenMan72
Also, and this is going to sound like a complete whine, been very disappointed with the weather here. Sure, Brisbane is hardly a dry climate these days, by at least they have warmer winters.
I know what you mean, the Sydney weather is getting me down and I honestly think I am starting to get depressed by the rain which seems relentless. Can't plan anything at weekends, it was much easier to plan in the UK, because a bit of drizzle doesn't stop anything and I think there were more dryer days anyway.

Other than that, very happy here and glad we came to Sydney. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but we were restricted by Mr BS work and now I am very glad that we were.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Well Green Man and bermuda Shorts (thanks for your replies btw) I can assure you that in all my time here (since 1985) I have NEVER seen a season like the one we have just had (er...summer they used to call it). It was long endless hot days and tropical-like rainy nights that would clear to sunshine next morning when I first came to Sydney in the 80s and into the 90s. Then we had the drought in the noughties, now this...this...deluge. Really it's nothing like "normal". Just the flood/drought/flood cycle that is Australia. Cue that poem - you know - I love a sunburnt country...
http://www.dorotheamackellar.com.au/.../mycountry.htm
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:55 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

It's called the La Nina Phenomenon.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:37 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

we just moved from Sydney to Melbourne I loved Sydney and was reluctant to leave but it's not optional, his job says we have to move.

we have used king and wilson removalists they have been pretty good only a few things got bust but we have insurance with them and they have been really helpful
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:31 pm
Daffyd Duck

This heavy rainy season is apparently a once in a generation cyclical sort of event. Worst in a century. Fingers crossed it's not a permanent climate change!

Looks like we'll have a sunny Friday and weekend though!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
This heavy rainy season is apparently a once in a generation cyclical sort of event. Worst in a century. Fingers crossed it's not a permanent climate change!

Looks like we'll have a sunny Friday and weekend though!
Just my luck that it started when I moved over. Here is to a nice weekend, we are going to the Hunter Valley.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:37 pm
Daffyd Duck

Stay sober! You don't wanna be caught DUI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.