Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving To Adelaide

Moving To Adelaide

Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:51 am
Just Joined

larkydarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Adelaide

Myself my wife and 3 boys (all under 3 years) are moving to Adelaide within the next couple of months , I have been looking at some blogs etc, and it seems the cost of living in Australia is particularly high , I would like to know if a salary of 100k + super + 1000 per month expenses + Approx. 10-15k overtime would be enought to live a comfortable life , my wife will not be working until the kids are a wee bit older, we currently live in Dublin and surely things cannot be as expensive as here .....: I would welcome any advice.........
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:19 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving To Adelaide

depends on your definition of comfortable. 100k+ is ok it's not great and Australia even adelaide is dublin expensive.

If you choose to go down the path of having 1 income you'll fall behind big time as most families here have two incomes and you with the costs you could get stranded in less desirable areas in a few years time.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

People manage on far less but it very much depends what you like to do with your time, how you like to live etc
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Adelaide and manage on $47k - and yes, I have kids too. A daughter, a teenage son, and an adult son who has only just arrived and isn't working (and one daughter in law) to support!

I am sure you'll be fine...unless you want a mansion right on the beach of course
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

larkydarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wendy ,

No we dont want a mansion on the beach , a 3 bedroom townhouse will do us , dont want much of a garden either as my fingers are far from green , My house in Ireland has about half an acre of grass and I am fed up cutting the stuff. The reason I asked was we dont want move all the way to Australia and have to struggle ...I dont see the point in that at all.....Do you like living in Adelaide ?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larkydarky
Hi Wendy ,

No we dont want a mansion on the beach , a 3 bedroom townhouse will do us , dont want much of a garden either as my fingers are far from green , My house in Ireland has about half an acre of grass and I am fed up cutting the stuff. The reason I asked was we dont want move all the way to Australia and have to struggle ...I dont see the point in that at all.....Do you like living in Adelaide ?
I hear about the garden! I have a gardener to do mine (included in the rent)

Yeah, I love living here. Been here almost 5 years and really can't imagine being anywhere else.