British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   moving to adelaide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-adelaide-501852/)

gouldie Dec 27th 2007 8:44 am

moving to adelaide

Hi i,m a new member, we have just recieved our 136 skilled visa and are going to adelaide on may 17th to activate our visas.We are thinking of moving to the adelaide hills area is there any one that has any infomation on this area. For example schooling,jobs and houses.

thanks

gouldie

Wendy Dec 27th 2007 10:05 am

Re: moving to adelaide

Originally Posted by gouldie (Post 5708041)
Hi i,m a new member, we have just recieved our 136 skilled visa and are going to adelaide on may 17th to activate our visas.We are thinking of moving to the adelaide hills area is there any one that has any infomation on this area. For example schooling,jobs and houses.

thanks

gouldie

Hi, welcome to BE :)

I'm in Adelaide and live near the hills in the North East, however the hills are massive so it really depends where abouts you are looking. But there's quite a few people spread in various parts if you want to be a little more specific :)

Nick11 Dec 27th 2007 11:55 am

thanks

gouldie

We rented in the hills when we first got here for 12 weeks.
Looking back now it was the wrong decision for us - the accomadation was lovely, but I'm an estate girl at heart.I need lots of people around me - the isolation drove me nuts.
The schools in Stirling were excellant,but house prices were way over our heads.Our kids couldn't really go anywhere, as we were in the middle of nowhere.Our takes 25 mins to the city via the freeway.
It depends what sort of people you are. My mate is really settled in the hills and wouldn't live anywhere else

Sham Williams Dec 27th 2007 12:36 pm

The Hills are a bit far out for me, we are in Greenwith, which means we are about 25 mins to the city, 25 mins to the beach and 5mins to beautiful country drives, always seeing wild kangaroos and other great Australian wildlife and to be honest the most imoportant thing we are close to is THE English Pub just 10 mins away!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

bevgirl Dec 27th 2007 8:13 pm

Hi - I note you have a 136 visa - if you dont mind me asking why adelaide?
:)
We lived there for three years but found it extremely boring - have you looked at other areas? The Gold Coast is more interesting - if I had my time again, thats where I would go.

seanandmaria Dec 27th 2007 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by bevgirl (Post 5709905)
We lived there for three years but found it extremely boring - have you looked at other areas? The Gold Coast is more interesting - if I had my time again, thats where I would go.

Have to disagree with the boring part, but i suppose it depends on what you want, and to some degree where in the UK you lived. We came on a 136, went to melbourne first and hated it, to big, to busy, horrid place (imho), moved to Adelaide and we love it here, its more laid back, but in hindsight we lived in a small(ish) town in the UK, a large city was never going to suit us.

Maria

tyke Dec 27th 2007 8:58 pm

Hiya Gouldie.Welcome to BE.

Mixed opinions on Adelaide I see but it depends what you want.

The hills surrounding Adelaide is a large area - from fairly built up to pretty isolated.
You will have to refine your search a bit.

We live on the rural edge in Onakapringa Hills down south.

Good access to shops/beaches/schools and so on but around 35 mins from the city.

A lot of property's in the hills come with land - do you want a small holding ( or hobby farm here).Lots of horse based property's but most have average- ish house with good land.Still some bargains out there - mainly because most don't want the work.
We work from home so we have the time to maintain it here.

It really depends on your needs, wants and budget.:D

tyke Dec 27th 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by seanandmaria (Post 5710040)
Have to disagree with the boring part, but i suppose it depends on what you want, and to some degree where in the UK you lived. We came on a 136, went to melbourne first and hated it, to big, to busy, horrid place (imho), moved to Adelaide and we love it here, its more laid back, but in hindsight we lived in a small(ish) town in the UK, a large city was never going to suit us.

Maria

We found Adelaide to be just right for us.It does grow on you as well and seems to have something for everyone - sometimes it does take a bit of finding though!!:lol:

Sham Williams Dec 27th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by seanandmaria (Post 5710040)

Maria

Totally agree with everything you said here!!

We just got back from holiday in Melbourne and HATED it. big time!! We cant imagine why anyone would move from the UK to Melbounre, because in IMO it was just like the UK!!

For those that call Adelaide boring, makes me wonder what they are looking for, as our feet have not touched the ground since we been here there is always something going on somewhere!!

BUT like you say we come from a smallist town so Adelaide to us is just perfect!!

Hills Boy Dec 27th 2007 9:13 pm

thanks

gouldie

As has been said, it's a big area to cover. We live in a small village about 40km out from the centre of Adelaide. As you'll probably know, it looks like people either love or hate 'Adelaide'. It just depends what you are after.

Houses: It really depends on what you want and your budget - you can get some houses in the mid/high $200ks or blow several $m on a country estate. If you have some areas in mind then feel free to PM me - we drove all over this part of the hills house hunting over the last three months.

Schools: Don't have school age kids and so we didn't have to consider schools, so can't help with that one.

Jobs: Depends on what line of work you're looking for and what your current commute to work is. From where I live I can get parked up in the centre of Adelaide within 45/60 mins of leaving my house, depending on the time of day.

Weasy Dec 27th 2007 11:54 pm

Yep, that's us - we love it here. We live in Bridgewater which is considerably cheaper than Stirling and there are other affordable areas. The schools around here (Bridgewater, Aldgate, Crafers, Stirling etc) are all good primaries and Heathfield High (our local state high school) has a decent reputation. Jobs wise the CBD is about 25 mins as others have said but my hubby works in Marion so drives across country for about 30 mins.

Hope this helps if this is the bit of the hills you mean.

BTW we are on a PR visa also and chose Adelaide and love it here and, as it's not actually what the OP was asking about, I can't see why people are questioning that decision.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Nick11 (Post 5708627)
We rented in the hills when we first got here for 12 weeks.
Looking back now it was the wrong decision for us - the accomadation was lovely, but I'm an estate girl at heart.I need lots of people around me - the isolation drove me nuts.
The schools in Stirling were excellant,but house prices were way over our heads.Our kids couldn't really go anywhere, as we were in the middle of nowhere.Our takes 25 mins to the city via the freeway.
It depends what sort of people you are. My mate is really settled in the hills and wouldn't live anywhere else

gouldie Dec 30th 2007 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by bevgirl (Post 5709905)

hi, bevgirl,

we havnt made our minds up about adelaide yet, its just a starting point. what do you mean about the 136 visa, i'm in the building trade as a drainer, is there no work for people in the building game.

gouldie Dec 30th 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5708273)
Hi, welcome to BE :)

I'm in Adelaide and live near the hills in the North East, however the hills are massive so it really depends where abouts you are looking. But there's quite a few people spread in various parts if you want to be a little more specific :)

hi wendy we dont know what area we wont to live in we havent been to oz yet till next year. I would like to live some were that is quite but not to far to travel for work [hoping i find some] and shops for the wife,and of course school for my kids.

gouldie Dec 30th 2007 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sham Williams (Post 5708756)
The Hills are a bit far out for me, we are in Greenwith, which means we are about 25 mins to the city, 25 mins to the beach and 5mins to beautiful country drives, always seeing wild kangaroos and other great Australian wildlife and to be honest the most imoportant thing we are close to is THE English Pub just 10 mins away!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hi sham, this sounds a pritty good place to live youve got wildlife,country walks and of course a pub. we will have to look at this place when we come over in may.

gouldie Dec 30th 2007 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by tyke (Post 5710046)
Hiya Gouldie.Welcome to BE.

Mixed opinions on Adelaide I see but it depends what you want.

The hills surrounding Adelaide is a large area - from fairly built up to pretty isolated.
You will have to refine your search a bit.

We live on the rural edge in Onakapringa Hills down south.

Good access to shops/beaches/schools and so on but around 35 mins from the city.

A lot of property's in the hills come with land - do you want a small holding ( or hobby farm here).Lots of horse based property's but most have average- ish house with good land.Still some bargains out there - mainly because most don't want the work.
We work from home so we have the time to maintain it here.

It really depends on your needs, wants and budget.:D

hi tyke,nice to hear from so many people giving us advice,as i have said we want some were quite but not in the back of beyond.we probley wont know untill we see the size of the place or the areas.we should have about $250.000 to put down on a house will this be enough.