British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving To Adelaide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-adelaide-106763/)

Bones Feb 25th 2002 2:27 pm

Moving To Adelaide

Hi,
we are planning to move to Adelaide when (and if) we get our PR. Has anyone got any honest info or opinions on the following areas:

Tea Tree Gully, Modbury or Happy Valley?

We are interested in the suitability of these areas to live in, we have 2 small children (4 and 1 years) and although we will do more research when we arrive, any positive or negative feedback would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Debbie Feb 26th 2002 12:26 pm

Re: Moving To Adelaide

Hi there,

My husband, 4 year old son and I hope to be moving to Adelaide in the near future. We went there last year. My sister lives in Aberfoyle Park, which is a nice place. Happy Valley isnt far from there; we drove that way and it looks very nice too. Some nice properties and at reasonable prices. It's not too far from a big shopping centre called Marion and of course Brighton beach isnt too far away from that area either. When we move over there, we will probably look to buy around that area too.

Good luck,

Debbie

Bones Feb 26th 2002 1:53 pm

Thanks for the info Debbie, we haven't heard anything negative about the Happy Valley area, but opinion seems to be divided on areas North of the City.

Our plan is to rent for at least 6 months in, what seems to be, the most likely area that we will want to buy in, so that our little girl won't have to move school twice in the first year of arriving (if that makes sense).

Thanks again

Russell Driver Feb 26th 2002 9:25 pm

Bones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, we are planning to move to Adelaide when (and if) we get our PR. Has anyone got
    > any honest info or opinions on the following areas:
    >
    > Tea Tree Gully, Modbury or Happy Valley?
    >
    > We are interested in the suitability of these areas to live in, we have 2 small
    > children (4 and 1 years) and although we will do more research when we arrive, any
    > positive or negative feedback would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

Hi Bones

I moved here to Adelaide a couple years ago. I am only familiar with the southern
side of the city and the Adelaide Hills. I know Happy Valley to be reasonably nice
area. A green area on gently sloping hills. Prices are reasonable against most
other areas. Access to the city is good (20 mins) In general a nice area to bring
kids up in.

Have a look at the SA central and Onkaparinga links on my site.

Cheers

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of preparation and opportunity cross. www.auseelife.com

Jb Feb 27th 2002 12:05 am

Areas like Modbury and northern suburbs are OK but are problem areas .Certain pockets
in Modbury are trouble.rent is cheap there but then the qulaity of neighbors can be a
problem ...Pommie haven

Tea Tree Gully is nice but compared to Happy Valley I think HV 's better .

If you are thinking about your daughter and want to rent 6 months first I suggest you
try near city areas .That way you guys can commute easy to work .Remember in Adelaide
if you commute to work more than 30 mins you are in the bush .Some of the best public
/private schools are in inner city suburbs .

If you are after cafe culture,restuarants good areas try Unley ,Parkside...

If you want the Old Village community feel Norwood wins my vote ...Infact that suburb
has everything 3Kms from City and close to shops ,schools and everything.

Other nice areas comparable to HV are Payneham (near City) ,Prospect,Stepney
,Hackney ....

Cheers JB

Bones Feb 27th 2002 7:19 pm

Thanks for all the great advice guys, hope to be there by Sep 02.

cheers,

bones