Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving abroad is a marriage test!!!

moving abroad is a marriage test!!!

Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:10 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving abroad is a marriage test!!!

Originally Posted by talbot
I meant your going online as a HUGE compliment!!! I wish my OH would - then he'd understand my ups and downs when settling here.
You're doing the right thing by not selling your house, that takes a lot of pressure off and you can make up your own minds about whether to go back or stay after 3 years.
It sounds like you'll have a good time here with your attitude. Attitude makes a huge difference!
Why thankyou madam!!

Attitude is the thing that got me the internal transfer so yes, hopefully it will stand me in good stead!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Why thankyou madam!!

Attitude is the thing that got me the internal transfer so yes, hopefully it will stand me in good stead!
On the plus side (if you're forces to forces, which I'm guessing is what you're doing?) then there might be a great group of ladies already there who are totally used to moving around and getting to know new people. That can be a big help, as it means you're not the only people who didn't grow up there etc - everyone's new.
(See, there are advantages to having an OH in the forces... )
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

He opened the curtains in the kitchen???....good god!!!...didn't he know any better?? You NEVER open the curtains downstairs in the kitchen on Sunday!!!!

Your better off without him....the bast#rd!!!! lmao!!
Hell yeah, divorce is looming...those curtain stay shut mister

Listen, we live on a main road and you would have thanked me many times...I was in a minging nighty, I tell you...it wasn't a pretty sight!!

Had to preserve my modesty and find a reason to let rip!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:57 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
On the plus side (if you're forces to forces, which I'm guessing is what you're doing?) then there might be a great group of ladies already there who are totally used to moving around and getting to know new people. That can be a big help, as it means you're not the only people who didn't grow up there etc - everyone's new.
(See, there are advantages to having an OH in the forces... )
Ex-Forces......now work as a consultant for a company that does have MOD work but pretty much out of all that, my work in Sydney will be in the transport arena methinks. Married my wife on my last posting which was 7 years in Farnborough, Hants so she never had to see me away for long periods and never really ones for the 'married patch' lifestyle!
But yes I get your point if that had of been the case.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:58 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
Hell yeah, divorce is looming...those curtain stay shut mister

Listen, we live on a main road and you would have thanked me many times...I was in a minging nighty, I tell you...it wasn't a pretty sight!!

Had to preserve my modesty and find a reason to let rip!
I think the 'Stimulant Addict' on your Avatar might be living up to its name!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

I think the 'Stimulant Addict' on your Avatar might be living up to its name!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Think I'll change it to caffeine addict soon!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Why thankyou madam!!

Attitude is what I had to change when my husband and children wanted to stay and I wanted to leave!!!
Over a few weeks I managed to change gears in my brain and now love it here. Amamzing what a bit of positive thinking can do..
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:08 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by talbot
I never knew how much of a strain moving here to Oz would put on my marriage!!! Thank goodness after nearly 2 years, we've tested each other to the limit and have become stronger as a couple. I wouldn't say it's at the "violin stage" but at least it keeps us on our toes!
Anyone else go through this, or was/is it plain sailing?
I knew my wife-to-be for all of 2 weeks before I came over to marry her ... I've (we've, sorry love!) sure found some shit out in last 3 years ... most good, it works better than it has any right to.

Lesson there I think, all the planning, preperation and EXPOs in the world means squat when it comes down to it.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

sundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant future

I think it definitely makes you question the other person's character and suitability (even after years of marriage), and it brings the questions in your relationship to the forefront. What I mean is, rather than muddle on as you do, day to day, you have to ask really serious questions, and you have to believe that the other person is strong enough to cope in a crisis.
Family and friends are a huge support network, if only for emergencies, and they won't be there when push comes to shove, so it is vitally important to know that your partner will be.
We have certianly talked more than ever, not only about visas, emigrating, jobs, money, logistics, but also every other tiddly part of our lives and relationship so that we both know what the other thinks and where we both stand.
I think we are better for it, but it has been a hard slog.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sundropstar
I think it definitely makes you question the other person's character and suitability (even after years of marriage), and it brings the questions in your relationship to the forefront. What I mean is, rather than muddle on as you do, day to day, you have to ask really serious questions, and you have to believe that the other person is strong enough to cope in a crisis.
Family and friends are a huge support network, if only for emergencies, and they won't be there when push comes to shove, so it is vitally important to know that your partner will be.
We have certianly talked more than ever, not only about visas, emigrating, jobs, money, logistics, but also every other tiddly part of our lives and relationship so that we both know what the other thinks and where we both stand.
I think we are better for it, but it has been a hard slog.
Hit the nail on the head Sundropstar.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:08 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I wonder sometime if the problems arise because you spend so much energy and time and effort getting to this seemingly unobtainable goal - then you finally get there and then you finally have everything you have been waiting for and then......

What?

You have been a team for this journey and working towards a common goal -to get to Oz - the come down is ALWAYS hard, especially when you factor in the tough times with missing the family and friends who would often diffuse the situation. It's bound to stretch any relationship to breaking point - is it just a case that you need to find another common goal? Or does the lack of focus on something make you realise that you are your partner are done?

Well my fingers are crossed for me and the hubby. I will be p*ssed if after the last 4 years of wanting to go 'home' and finally getting there, that he hates it. Or worse still I hate it !!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I knew my wife-to-be for all of 2 weeks before I came over to marry her ... I've (we've, sorry love!) sure found some shit out in last 3 years ... most good, it works better than it has any right to.

Lesson there I think, all the planning, preperation and EXPOs in the world means squat when it comes down to it.
How very true. Masochist tendencies help too.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

After 10 weeks of living in each others pockets, ours is on its knees. Thank god I start work on Monday. We have bickered like never before in our 21 year marriage I think we will be lucky to see 22!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

sundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tillysmum
After 10 weeks of living in each others pockets, ours is on its knees. Thank god I start work on Monday. We have bickered like never before in our 21 year marriage I think we will be lucky to see 22!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can see this happening too, but I think it's such a shame. I said to my DH the other day, actually, this is the longest time he's ever going to have off of work and not be sick or retired, I hope we can enjoy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.