British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Moving for 3 months? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/moving-3-months-571057/)

jen_andy Nov 4th 2008 7:46 am

Moving for 3 months?

Hi we're here in oz on hols for 2 weeks, we probably won't qualify for a visa for some years yet but are really keen to get over here.

My OH and I both work for ourselves (most clientelle are in uk but the business is internet based), so work shouldn't be a massive problem.

I was wondering if anyone had tried 3 month stays? I think the visiting visa would allow it? so at least until we qualify we would have something to look forward to each year, and it would also give us more of a realistic "can we hack it" approach. . .

I wasn't expecting the family to love oz so much!!! I think i'll be in floods of tears when we have to go home next week :(

billymacker Nov 4th 2008 8:07 am

Re: Moving for 3 months?

Originally Posted by jen_andy (Post 6938277)
Hi we're here in oz on hols for 2 weeks, we probably won't qualify for a visa for some years yet but are really keen to get over here.

My OH and I both work for ourselves (most clientelle are in uk but the business is internet based), so work shouldn't be a massive problem.

I was wondering if anyone had tried 3 month stays? I think the visiting visa would allow it? so at least until we qualify we would have something to look forward to each year, and it would also give us more of a realistic "can we hack it" approach. . .

I wasn't expecting the family to love oz so much!!! I think i'll be in floods of tears when we have to go home next week :(

I come every year for 6 month stays Oct-Apr been doing this for the last 15 years, but i am not working.

memewest Nov 4th 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by billymacker (Post 6938339)
I come every year for 6 month stays Oct-Apr been doing this for the last 15 years, but i am not working.

Ooooohhhhh....

My In Laws would love to do that!!

They already have 1 son and family in NSW, then theres us waiting on our visa before we can go, leaving them 1 daughter and family here in the UK.

They have talked about doing exactly what you do.....Any info you could give would be very much appreciated.

billymacker Nov 4th 2008 8:19 am

Originally Posted by memewest (Post 6938347)
Ooooohhhhh....

My In Laws would love to do that!!

They already have 1 son and family in NSW, then theres us waiting on our visa before we can go, leaving them 1 daughter and family here in the UK.

They have talked about doing exactly what you do.....Any info you could give would be very much appreciated.

Not hard to do just apply for 6 month tourist visa's.

Visa is valid for 12 months from date of issue.

memewest Nov 4th 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by billymacker (Post 6938362)
Not hard to do just apply for 6 month tourist visa's.

Visa is valid for 12 months from date of issue.

So you just apply for a tourist visa every year and go over that way??

They are looking into getting a parent visa thinking this was the only way they could do the 6 months here, 6 months there.

What do you do for accommodation?? Although i think they would stay with us and the other son

billymacker Nov 4th 2008 8:58 am

Originally Posted by memewest (Post 6938383)
So you just apply for a tourist visa every year and go over that way??

They are looking into getting a parent visa thinking this was the only way they could do the 6 months here, 6 months there.

What do you do for accommodation?? Although i think they would stay with us and the other son

We bought a new house the first year we came so we use that. If i remember it had to be approved by the FIB first.

jen_andy Nov 4th 2008 9:00 am

Sounds like a good plan lol. Think my parents would like to do that too, although they're both working at present.

How easy is it to get accomodation for 3 month stays?
Thanks
Jenny

billymacker Nov 4th 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by jen_andy (Post 6938461)
Sounds like a good plan lol. Think my parents would like to do that too, although they're both working at present.

How easy is it to get accomodation for 3 month stays?
Thanks
Jenny

Not sure on 3 months, but you can get 6 months short term part or full furnished house try the local estate agents in the area you want.