Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:33 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

We have got a couple of removal companies coming on Monday to give us quotes they are Doree Boner, John Mason and a little local man who was fantastic when he moved us in to this house!!

A while back, actually I think it was quite a while back there was a thread about things to ask when they come to give you a quote and try as hard as I have I cant find it!!

Anyone know where it is pleeeeeeese??

If not then please let me know questions I should be asking them to ensure I got everything covered!?!?!?!?!? I remember reading about hidden costs etc when stuff gets to Oz or something??!?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:59 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

Originally Posted by toon williams
We have got a couple of removal companies coming on Monday to give us quotes they are Doree Boner, John Mason and a little local man who was fantastic when he moved us in to this house!!

A while back, actually I think it was quite a while back there was a thread about things to ask when they come to give you a quote and try as hard as I have I cant find it!!

Anyone know where it is pleeeeeeese??

If not then please let me know questions I should be asking them to ensure I got everything covered!?!?!?!?!? I remember reading about hidden costs etc when stuff gets to Oz or something??!?
Make sure that they look at all of your items that you want to take with you, we have had whites and co, pss and john masion around. still waiting for the quote back from whites as they say that there is a computer fault in the office Anyway, they said that these things were not allowed; sheep skin rug, garden items with rust on, cat scratching posts, wicker wash basket and our dining room chairs as they have a wicker seat pads. They said that you can take wicker but customs will inspect it and if they want to clean it, its about £50 per item, our chairs not even worth that so they are getting sold!! Ask about the charge for inspection at that end when your container lands as they charge by the hour! Hope this helps, Pete
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:59 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

We used Allied Pickfords, they were outstanding and did a superb job, not even a broken cup when our stuff arrived in Perth. There were no hidden costs, the only thing to beware of as far as I am aware is push bikes and garden tools, if there is so much as a speck of soil on them Australian customs will charge you a healthy fee for cleaning them. There are several pests they are trying to keep out of Aus, so go a bit over the top on soil and dirt on things.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

No idea where the thread is but, at the time, I cut and pasted into word. So here it is :

What items cannot be taken?
2. Queries over whether the following can be taken:
Climb frame
Lawn mower
Garden tools; clippers, strimmer, hedge cutter
Children's bikes, tractor
Wooden ornaments?
Barbecue?
3. Do any items need steam cleaning eg. Children's bikes, golf clubs?
4. What advise do they give on taking; fridge, washer and dishwasher?
5. What do people generally do in respect of beds, bedding cooking, as they arrive before their container?
6. Early shipment of goods possible? In particular;
How long does it take to get there?
Cost
Size
7. What service do they offer?
Do they do all the packing?
How do they protect hi-fi/TV's
What about clothes: - how are they packed?
8. What about breakages during the packing day?
9. Jewellery & best way to send?
10. How is it all wrapped in particular; beds, settees, leather chairs?
11. What if something doesn't fit ie. Bed after they have quoted for something?
12. What measures do they take to protect stuff like fotos.
13. Does the container arrive on our drive? Or, is stuff loaded onto lorry then transferred to container?
What happens then?
How long does the packing generally take and how many people do it?
Is our stuff secure?
14. What do we have to do in preparation for the pack?
Eg. Disassemble furniture, computers etc?
15. How are boxes labelled up to assist inspectors etc?
16. Inventory of items being shipped & how detailed? Eg. Childrens box of toys. DVDs/CDs? Do we need to itemise everything?
Does this list go with the packers?
Who produces the list?
17. What about government regulations?
What will they inspect and where?
Is our stuff secure whilst this is being performed?
What assurances/insurances to we have?
18. Do they have a customs guide?
19. How likely is damage to goods due to extreme temperatures during journey? Eg. Damp.
20. Cubic size of container?
21. Is wasted space utilised to save cubic space ie. Empty drawers/wardrobes etc.
22. How long to transport container?
23. Do they have a website with shipment tracking system and or, sailing schedules? If, not how do we track the progress of our goods?
24. Insurance cost?
What does it cover?
What about electric malfunction at other end, vermin, damp, mould, water damage?
Total loss at sea?
Are individual items covered?
Cover for lateness?
Is there a certain time frame within which the claim should be done?
25. How do they want payment?
26. What happens to the container at the other end?
Do you get help to unpack? Guarantees that this will happen?
Who are their representatives?
What is their reputation?
Are they full or casual workers?
What happens until I get an address to deliver to?
Are we still insured during the time we are waiting to move it to a new address?
Assuming they assist with unpacking at the other end & do they remove waste/rubbish from the move?
27. What involvement will we have with customs/fumigation people?
28. How negotiable are your fees
29. Will you price beat?
30. Why should we choose you?
31. What proof to we need of breakages at other end?
32. What memberships do they possess? BAR, OMNI, FIDI?
33. How long have they been in business?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:20 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have the answers?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Does anyone have the answers?
Cheeky Monkey
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:53 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
Cheeky Monkey
oooh oooh oooh eeeh eeeh eeeh!

Where did I put that banana?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:11 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
No idea where the thread is but, at the time, I cut and pasted into word. So here it is :

What items cannot be taken?
2. Queries over whether the following can be taken:
Climb frame
Lawn mower
Garden tools; clippers, strimmer, hedge cutter
Children's bikes, tractor
Wooden ornaments?
Barbecue?
3. Do any items need steam cleaning eg. Children's bikes, golf clubs?
4. What advise do they give on taking; fridge, washer and dishwasher?
5. What do people generally do in respect of beds, bedding cooking, as they arrive before their container?
6. Early shipment of goods possible? In particular;
How long does it take to get there?
Cost
Size
7. What service do they offer?
Do they do all the packing?
How do they protect hi-fi/TV's
What about clothes: - how are they packed?
8. What about breakages during the packing day?
9. Jewellery & best way to send?
10. How is it all wrapped in particular; beds, settees, leather chairs?
11. What if something doesn't fit ie. Bed after they have quoted for something?
12. What measures do they take to protect stuff like fotos.
13. Does the container arrive on our drive? Or, is stuff loaded onto lorry then transferred to container?
What happens then?
How long does the packing generally take and how many people do it?
Is our stuff secure?
14. What do we have to do in preparation for the pack?
Eg. Disassemble furniture, computers etc?
15. How are boxes labelled up to assist inspectors etc?
16. Inventory of items being shipped & how detailed? Eg. Childrens box of toys. DVDs/CDs? Do we need to itemise everything?
Does this list go with the packers?
Who produces the list?
17. What about government regulations?
What will they inspect and where?
Is our stuff secure whilst this is being performed?
What assurances/insurances to we have?
18. Do they have a customs guide?
19. How likely is damage to goods due to extreme temperatures during journey? Eg. Damp.
20. Cubic size of container?
21. Is wasted space utilised to save cubic space ie. Empty drawers/wardrobes etc.
22. How long to transport container?
23. Do they have a website with shipment tracking system and or, sailing schedules? If, not how do we track the progress of our goods?
24. Insurance cost?
What does it cover?
What about electric malfunction at other end, vermin, damp, mould, water damage?
Total loss at sea?
Are individual items covered?
Cover for lateness?
Is there a certain time frame within which the claim should be done?
25. How do they want payment?
26. What happens to the container at the other end?
Do you get help to unpack? Guarantees that this will happen?
Who are their representatives?
What is their reputation?
Are they full or casual workers?
What happens until I get an address to deliver to?
Are we still insured during the time we are waiting to move it to a new address?
Assuming they assist with unpacking at the other end & do they remove waste/rubbish from the move?
27. What involvement will we have with customs/fumigation people?
28. How negotiable are your fees
29. Will you price beat?
30. Why should we choose you?
31. What proof to we need of breakages at other end?
32. What memberships do they possess? BAR, OMNI, FIDI?
33. How long have they been in business?

Fantastic!!

This is what I was looking for many thanks!! Karma sent!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:13 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Make sure that they look at all of your items that you want to take with you, we have had whites and co, pss and john masion around. still waiting for the quote back from whites as they say that there is a computer fault in the office Anyway, they said that these things were not allowed; sheep skin rug, garden items with rust on, cat scratching posts, wicker wash basket and our dining room chairs as they have a wicker seat pads. They said that you can take wicker but customs will inspect it and if they want to clean it, its about £50 per item, our chairs not even worth that so they are getting sold!! Ask about the charge for inspection at that end when your container lands as they charge by the hour! Hope this helps, Pete

Many thanks for this, I didnt know that we cant take wicker!! Just been out and bought a wicker toy box for £50 quid!!! Bugger!!!!

Also just bought the whole family new bikes, at HUGE cost!! So will ensure they are scrubbbbbbed clean!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:16 pm

Many thanks for this, I didnt know that we cant take wicker!! Just been out and bought a wicker toy box for £50 quid!!! Bugger!!!!

Also just bought the whole family new bikes, at HUGE cost!! So will ensure they are scrubbbbbbed clean!!
You have to clean all the oil of the bike chains too
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:24 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

You have to clean all the oil of the bike chains too

How would you do that ?
My 8 yr old has just got a new bike and would be devestated if wehad to leave it
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

We didn't clean the oil from the chains, but the rest of the bikes were spotless and disinfected with the special disinfectant.

We also bought a small sheepskin rug and 4 wicker seat tops which were all stuffed into our wicker washing basket. They didn't touch any of it, but of course it's luck of the draw. The only things they inspected were garden toys and shoes.

Also, our packers were not too good at their descriptions and it seems that this went in our favour. All my hubbies work tools were packed in a box of toys that got through immediately, but his actual household tool box got held back for 6 weeks for further inspection. He also bought some building profiles, but it seems the packers thought they were part of the bed frame, so again, they were passed no problem !!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sme
How would you do that ?
My 8 yr old has just got a new bike and would be devestated if wehad to leave it
soapy water, a scrubbing brush, and a bit elbow grease, I think

I have heard people saying thet you need to do that, but haven't done it myself.....as I haven't got a bike.....and I haven't gone to Oz yet

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jun 29th 2006 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 5:19 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

soapy water, a scrubbing brush, and a bit elbow grease, I think

I have heard people saying thet you need to do that, but haven't done it myself.....as I haven't got a bike.....and I haven't gone to Oz yet
The removal company will proberly tell you to use "Jays" fluid as it has a very strong smell this customs will notice and can tell you have tried to clean them. Pete
Old Jun 30th 2006, 5:37 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought wicker chairs with us and no problem at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.