Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moved out to the parents house

Moved out to the parents house

Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:35 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Default Moved out to the parents house

Moved out of my house and now living with parents. John Masons did my removal for me - The guys were fantastic and worked their ar**s off! I would recommend them highly! Supplied them with fish and chips and lots of cups of tea and just let them get on with it. They arrived at 11:15am and finished at 9:30pm that night. To cap it off, I had a phone call from my removal co-ordinator to tell me that their original estimate of 535 cubic feet of storage was now incorrect(I had removed items from the inventory) and I was down to 440 cubic and I would get a reduction in the rate!
Had to drug the cat before I went as she hates travelling, but she seems to have settled at my parents house. Seems strange being here now after all these years, but hope to make the most of my time with them.
Best wishes to all those still waiting to for their visa's - I'm taking my time now since receiving word that it was granted(15th July 04) and hope to be in Oz around February 2005 depending on job applications - Anybody need a powerhouse programmer in Oz??
Old Nov 6th 2004, 8:59 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved out to the parents house

Originally Posted by gunnercaz
Moved out of my house and now living with parents. John Masons did my removal for me - The guys were fantastic and worked their ar**s off! I would recommend them highly! Supplied them with fish and chips and lots of cups of tea and just let them get on with it. They arrived at 11:15am and finished at 9:30pm that night. To cap it off, I had a phone call from my removal co-ordinator to tell me that their original estimate of 535 cubic feet of storage was now incorrect(I had removed items from the inventory) and I was down to 440 cubic and I would get a reduction in the rate!
Had to drug the cat before I went as she hates travelling, but she seems to have settled at my parents house. Seems strange being here now after all these years, but hope to make the most of my time with them.
Best wishes to all those still waiting to for their visa's - I'm taking my time now since receiving word that it was granted(15th July 04) and hope to be in Oz around February 2005 depending on job applications - Anybody need a powerhouse programmer in Oz??

eyup caz!!
wondered where you had got to lately!!!
for some reason i thought you had already left the uk....!?
anyways, nice to know you are still around!!
have fun at your parents (you are braver than me......id end up murdering my mum if we lived under the same roof again!!!)

sue
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
have fun at your parents (you are braver than me......id end up murdering my mum if we lived under the same roof again!!!)

You and me both, Sue. I am starting to worry where we will live between selling the house and leaving and I haven't even got the visa yet. I can only think of a hotel - expensive or B&B. Over my dead body do I move in with the mother At least I wouldn't feel as homesick when I arrive in Aus
Old Nov 6th 2004, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

We're moving in with the in-laws after we're packed up. In a month abd a half. Even though I love them dearly I am dreading it. It's just going to be so smothering. My mother-in-law keeps on saying about how much time I'm going to be spending there and I just keep thinking...oh no I'm not. I don't want to be suffocated all day long while hubby's at work. I've already primed mt best friend for me to be spending most days with her and we've arranged a trip up north to stay with some of my rellies for a while too.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:22 pm
I never gave up trying

Eeeeyup "TIREDWITHTWINS" - Nice to see a familar name on here - Seems everbody on here has now gone to Oz and were still lagging behind!
Making the most of my time at parents house though, as I wish to spend what time I have left with them as precious. Don't get on too well with the mother, but I'm trying and I think she is too...bless her!
I was very lucky with house sale as lady who bought paid full asking price - She was my first viewer and I upped the price to expect a knockdown - I bought some lucky baboo at Ikea that previous weekend and my little niece reckons that that's what sold the house?? So everybody out there still waiting to sell there's - Pop to Ikea and get some lucky baboo - I think its worth ago don't you??
Been out with my little nephew this morning for a kick about - We came in filthy, but my mum were alright with it...the washing machine as just broke down so I'm sitting here wiv damp socks on still trying to minimise the amount of washing for her..ha ha!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:34 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Seems everbody on here has now gone to Oz and were still lagging behind!
im usually about several months behind everyone else....in everything!!

sue
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:36 pm

forgot to ask.....still playing footie??

sue
Old Nov 7th 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Gunnercaz

We have just done exactly the same - which men did you have from Masons - we has Andy & John - they were great - made the whole experience painless. We had them - tues wedn & Thursday last week. We are now at my mums & it is lovely to spend some time with her & not having to think about what needs doing before the packers arrive!!!

We are off to Perth on 3/1? Where are you off to?

Good luck with everything

pockygoes
Old Nov 7th 2004, 5:16 pm
I never gave up trying

Default Enjoying myself at the parents house??

Still not playing footy "TIREDWITHTWINS" - The auld legs are struggling now - A kick about in the park is all I can manage these days wiv the little ones!
Off to Adelaide, SA early part of next year "POCKYGOES" - Got relatives there and it may help me settle down more - I shall start to circulate the CV soon with the I.T. Agencies...but to be honest I'd work at anything just to get me going and allow me to get my own place in OZ. I may even look elsewhere in Oz to get myself back in I.T. again...we shall see.
I had two scousers from John Masons - I think one was called Andy the other Jimmy. They claimed to be brothers and from a family of 10 - But there were very little resemblance - Nice blokes though and they worked very hard. They told me that they had done a job in the Midlands area(Redditch I think) and for the 2 days worth of work, they weren't offer one cup of tea!!
I got them cod and chips later too, but as long as they got their tea they were happy!
If any one is looking at a removals company, John Mason's are the ones!

We have just done exactly the same - which men did you have from Masons - we has Andy & John - they were great - made the whole experience painless. We had them - tues wedn & Thursday last week. We are now at my mums & it is lovely to spend some time with her & not having to think about what needs doing before the packers arrive!!!

We are off to Perth on 3/1? Where are you off to?

Good luck with everything

pockygoes[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 8th 2004, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Enjoying myself at the parents house??

No they are not the ones we had - they were from chesterfield - and we supplied them with copious teas coffees & bacon butties - can't beleive that some people would be tight enough to let them go without - they work really hard bless them!!!

Good luck with the move & remember that life is for living & experiencing.

pockygoes
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:32 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enjoying myself at the parents house??

Anybody need a powerhouse programmer in Oz??
If you look on any of the main jobsites JOBNET or SEEK you're more likely to get matches like 'financial powerhouse' rather than anything related to Cognos. Also, the agencies here tend to see Cognos as the BI stuff Impromptu and Powerplay rather than Quiz/QDesign/QTP which is rare as rocking-horse shit here, though I have seen the odd contract. Unfortunately, there's a lot of ex-powerhousers around. The problem with anything else you may have is how to embellish it enough without telling lies.

Good luck!

Big.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:42 pm
I never gave up trying

Default Cognos Powerplay experience

Cheers for infor, but.....

soz, what do you mean by "The problem with anything else you may have is how to embellish it enough without telling lies"??

Did abit of POWERPLAY with a retail company, but that was about 6 years ago and this involved originally creating and then eventually updating 2 powerplay cubes each week for our retail systems - Never had any proper training with it though and do not have any certifications in it(if there is any).

Do you reckon I could get a job in or around the Adelaide,SA in this sort of software area? This part of Oz is where some of my relatives live and would hope to live near them when I first come to OZ as I'm coming out on my own.

...Aaaaahhhh found a dodgy copy of POWERPLAY in my CD software collection - Thinks I may be uploading on the PC and doing a refresher course to make it sound like I know what I'm on about...Ha ha! ....six years is along time to be away from COGNOS POWERPLAY!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:32 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cognos Powerplay experience

Cheers for infor, but.....

soz, what do you mean by "The problem with anything else you may have is how to embellish it enough without telling lies"??
I mean if your main skill is Powerhouse but there's not much demand and you've done some other stuff that's in demand, you certainly want to emphasise the in-demand skill on your CV but be careful of giving the impression you're an expert if you're not.

I don't know what the market's like in SA but I've never seen any Powerhouse there - the 2 big places for IT are Sydney(45% of all jobs) and Melbourne(21%) with Canberra(7%), Brisbane(6%), Perth(5%) and Adelaide(3%) in roughly that order based on 10000 jobs going on SEEK today.

Big.