Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moved:getting the arctic licence / refrigeration engineer

Moved:getting the arctic licence / refrigeration engineer

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice
Default Moved:getting the arctic licence / refrigeration engineer

come on lads , anybody found out how we obtain this arctic licence once in Australia , i received the offshore technical skills record from vetassess after passing the practical skills assessment in London , it says i need to undertake further gap training in Australia to obtain the arctic licence , it says i must work under supervision until the full licence is obtained ,
what it doesnt tell you [ and i also have emailed vetassess about this ] is how long the training will be for , who the assessors will be , how the assessment will be conducted , where will the assessments be undertaken ,will it cost extra [ probably] etc etc . i have emailed arctic a similar post , but i would love to hear from anybody who can shed some light on this , cheers .
karl.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice
Default Re: getting the arctic licence / refrigeration engineer

anybody ?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:18 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting the arctic licence / refrigeration engineer

Originally Posted by 571090 View Post
anybody ?
I'll move you to the Aus lifestyle forum. As its more to do with life after you arrive you might get responses in there (fingers crossed)
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:25 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved:getting the arctic licence / refrigeration engineer

come on lads...
Welcome to the wonderful world of Aussie bureaucracy...

All I can say is that I have a young lad with me who's got his NVQ level 2 but not got the requisite 4 years experience and there's no way I'm going to try and sort this myself... I'm packing him off to see George Lombard next week because we might need to do a 457 with him as well...

Vetassess is the way I believe followed by getting a cert through TRA and then off to Fair Trading for a contractors licence... but don't quote me because I've heard so many different stories about this it's unreal...
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

Hey Karl,

Any more news on obtaining your licences yet?

Chris.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris96 View Post
Hey Karl,

Any more news on obtaining your licences yet?

Chris.
its the 8th wonder of the world , anybody found lord lucan , discovered how the pyramids were built , sightings of bin laden , you have more chance of any one of them than finding out about the bl--dy licencing authorities operate , Chris find this one out and when i come down for a beer , all night drinks are on me mate.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:39 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this any help if it is I want those beers

http://www.airah.org.au/ARCassessment.asp

Cheers

kaye
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

Sorted......BUT, will this also give us the restricted electrical licence, i was under the impression that was from the state electrical licencing board? Theres no mention of it on that site, when it was the TRA i think you had to apply to both the refrigeration council and the electrical licencing board for each licence when you was issued your ARTC certificate.

Karl it maybe worth a late night phonecall i thinks!

Chris.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:20 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can do the restricted electrical license at the TAFE i'm sure.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wardy2 View Post
I think you can do the restricted electrical license at the TAFE i'm sure.
hi thanks for the info [ big help] , beers are on me if i am up that neck of the woods , are you going through vetassess yourself , also how did you find out about this , [we have asked everybody ] , cheers.
karl.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:04 pm
aka DORIS

No hubby did the TRA or rather I did, I know more about his job now than him, we have the old visa 136 skilled now the 175 much more difficult.

I am the queen of research and came accross this on my websearch.

Hubby is in HVAC installer big stuff not domestic and no refridgeration as they do it here, still confused though as to what they consider refridgeration.,

There does not seem to be many of us around on here with this info so when I saw you having a few difficulties I thought I would try and put you out of your misery

wasn't sure if it was the right thing for you.

Not sure if my OH needs to go through all this though as he doesn't do the electrical side he may stick to pipefitting and welding.

good luck.

Will hold you to those beers
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:31 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

come on lads , anybody found out how we obtain this arctic licence once in Australia , i received the offshore technical skills record from vetassess after passing the practical skills assessment in London , it says i need to undertake further gap training in Australia to obtain the arctic licence , it says i must work under supervision until the full licence is obtained ,
what it doesnt tell you [ and i also have emailed vetassess about this ] is how long the training will be for , who the assessors will be , how the assessment will be conducted , where will the assessments be undertaken ,will it cost extra [ probably] etc etc . i have emailed arctic a similar post , but i would love to hear from anybody who can shed some light on this , cheers .
karl.
Its has been a while since my o/h did his and we came on the 136 visa but we never had too much trouble but this is what I remember
1st off get the forms filled in for the ARTC they were available on the website. we gave a copy of the documents that was used for the skills recognition (migration purposes) i think there may of been one additional section to fill in give this to the Australian trades recognition(we did this all ourselfs without the use of a agent. They then send a certificate saying that your skills are recognised as having the equivalent Australian trade certificate. I think this cost us $300 then it was changed to free if you had done the migration one not sure what it would be now.

Once you have this back take the certificate to the arctick they will then give you your CFC licence

He also had to do a CPR course, just a one day course, cost then about $50 offered at lots of different locations

The restricted electrical part from what I remember was that, he was first off given a permit and went to tafe in Logan one evening a week for about 6 weeks I think it was. It did take a lot of ringing round trying to get to speak to the right people, and the course that was run in Logan at the time was run by the head honcho for electrical licences. It was also a lot cheaper than other tafes cant remember exactly what the cost of the tafe was but I think it was round the $5-600 mark.

Don’t forget to keep all your receipts for all the costs as you can claim it all back on tax.

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...ning/licences/

http://www.arctick.org/index.php

http://http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/o...ic-4312-11.htm

Last edited by Kelli28; Sep 12th 2008 at 1:51 am. Reason: links did not work
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

karl.
Hi Karl. My OH had to do all this Taffe stuff to get his restricted licence. To be honest it's a big farce and costs money.
The licences need renewing every 2 years (some every 5) so it's back to college and more pay out.
I will get my OH to PM you the details. He is a refrigeration/domestic appliance engineer and Air-con Technician. He needs 5 licences all in all.