Reload this Page >

To move from the UK or not?????

To move from the UK or not?????

Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Shell13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To move from the UK or not?????

Hi All

We've been discussing a move for 2 years now, we decided to start the process and the more I read about people living in Australia the more I think are we doing the right thing. I know everyones different and its our choice but is it worth the move?
My partner and I are both 28yrs old, he currently works for caterpillar in the UK and I'm a child care manager, we rent a house but but nothing tying us to the UK (family of course). We've looked at both Canada and Perth, i'm really pushed towards Perth. We're not moving to expect to make loads of money etc, the move would be so we're not stuck in the same place for the rest of our lifes one day regretting not going. I've worked at the same place for 10 years so i'm sure a change would be good.

Any advice or good stories (or bad i suppose)?

Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: To move from the UK or not?????

Visa first of all.. Where are you with that? Have you applied for a specific one yet?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shell13
Hi All

We've been discussing a move for 2 years now, we decided to start the process and the more I read about people living in Australia the more I think are we doing the right thing. I know everyones different and its our choice but is it worth the move?
My partner and I are both 28yrs old, he currently works for caterpillar in the UK and I'm a child care manager, we rent a house but but nothing tying us to the UK (family of course). We've looked at both Canada and Perth, i'm really pushed towards Perth. We're not moving to expect to make loads of money etc, the move would be so we're not stuck in the same place for the rest of our lifes one day regretting not going. I've worked at the same place for 10 years so i'm sure a change would be good.

Thanks
Do you qualify for a visa?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Yours is a question that needless to say has been asked countless times on here. do a search using said function to see what some previous threads have said.

FWIW, some people find moving here was the best thing they ever did; for others it's a disaster.

Ask yourselves what your motives are for moving; and I'm curious.... why Perth?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Why this obsession with Perth, have you been there ? To ME personally it would be the last place I would move to, it is the most isolated place in the world.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Why not give it a go, you can always come back later. Have you been to Australia? I would recommend coming over and having a look around first. Perth is a long way from anywhere but many people like it. As a Sydneysider I think Sydney has a lot to offer, but it is quite expensive to live here.

Your first step is to look at how the two of you might qualify for visas. There is a lot of information on this site and of course the Australian Government site.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
Why not give it a go, you can always come back later.
That's easier said than done. What if one of them loves it and the other doesn't? Then what - do they split up? What if they can't find work and run out of money? Can they always go back if they can't afford to ship themselves and their stuff?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:43 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just have a good holiday?

It's an interesting place to visit but...

(What you are contemplating is much more extreme than you realise.)
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you both take a sabbatical from work and come over on a WHV? A year of fruit picking, short term jobs, travelling could be just what the doctor ordered and then see what you want to do with your lives afterwards.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:53 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shell13
Hi All

Thanks
Not married? No kids?
As others have suggested if you have true freedom then go for it but do a WHV, that way you have a try before you buy option.
Lots of people love Perth and WA, I have never been there but certainly interested to visit. To live? Not sure, it is isolated and has its own little world but you will never know until you try it yourself. But also try QLD, NSW and SA as well, travel around light, odd jobbing casually and get a feel for the place.
Oh...one big 'but' though........if you don't care much for it and return to UK will you be able to get your old jobs back in this current and projected market?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough

Hi shell, just thought i'd give you a bit of info as my wife and I are in pretty much the same occupations as you,
We have been in Melbourne for 7 years, I am a fitter, working on heavy construction equipment for a hire company (including cat gear) and usually earn around $80,000 a year,
My wife is a child care manager and earns around $55,000.
We live comfortably on this, and thats with 2 young kids,
In these fields there is heaps of work in Melbourne, and from what ive heard perths the same, in both industrys we struggle to find people with the relevant skills needed,
We have had a great 7 years, have all got citizenship now (our son was born here) but that being said, we are moving home in july, mainly down to my wife missing family which only really came on about 6-12 months ago,
I would never regret doing the move, its been great and feel if we didnt do it, it would always be there in the back of our heads.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in pretty much the same position, so we are going there on a WHV this year to test the water and see what it's like. If we don't think it's somewhere we could live, at least we'll have a great extended holiday.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:23 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

What does your partner do with Caterpillar? If he is a mechanic I don't think he'd have any trouble getting a job as long as he (you) are prepared to work outside a city.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Do the move I would say, you only get one life so why not.
my partner and me moved to perth for 6 years and I am now back in the UK, for the moment, we both blew vast amounts of money but I think I have had a hell of a ride, a hell of a life experience, its changed the way I see things.

I am back in the UK to sample life here for a year and might then head back to perth, not sure yet

Just do it though, the worst is you will lose some tiem and money, but you only get one life, dont spend it with regrets
Old Feb 4th 2012, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Shell13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Do you qualify for a visa?
Yes we qualify for visa's, my OH has been offered sponsorship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.