Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to Sydney or New York?

Move to Sydney or New York?

Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Sydney or New York?

Totally disagree. Australia kicks the USA in practically everything that matters, quality of life, life expectancy, health, education, the beauty of the cities, the infrastructure, food, the beaches, we are wealthier per capita and have a more stable democracy. The USA has its ingenuity but Australians are also quite good at that.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

NY for sure, it’s far more interesting and you’ll never be bored. Actually, you may not want to leave.

Remember, far more to it than what the average visitor sees in a few weeks. More like London, culturally rich and has many layers. People are very friendly. It is not shallow or superficial.

More generally there’s more of everything in the USA. You want cities, yep, open space, yep, mountains, yep, beaches, yep, deserts, yep, lakes, yep, also on average it will be less racist. (Australia unfortunately scores badly there). Especially in the cities like New York, which is very diverse for the better.

Also another big plus is you’re closer to many exciting things, Europe too over the pond, not cut off in a minority bubble.

Last edited by LouisB; Feb 25th 2018 at 1:54 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
New York, not even a comparison really. The future options for yourself in a good career are so much greater. And once you get established in the USA you can live anywhere. Everything in Australia is a poor 2nd to the US I'm afraid. Maybe one exception the 'free' healthcare but as long as you get yourself covered in the USA then you should be fine.
Totally disagree. Australia kicks the USA in practically everything that matters, quality of life, life expectancy, health, education, the beauty of the cities, the infrastructure, food, the beaches, we are wealthier per capita and have a more stable democracy. The USA has its ingenuity but Australians are also quite good at that. I travelled the USA for six months and whilst I had fun a lot of the country is barely above the third world and actually very dated.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Australia is not racist. Three times in my life I have been attacked/verbally abused etc (I am white) and two of the times it was in New York.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Australia is not racist. Three times in my life I have been attacked/verbally abused etc (I am white) and two of the times it was in New York.
Well anecdotally sure, but trend wise it is statistically. One of the worst, typically.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71
New York, not even a comparison really. The future options for yourself in a good career are so much greater. And once you get established in the USA you can live anywhere. Everything in Australia is a poor 2nd to the US I'm afraid. Maybe one exception the 'free' healthcare but as long as you get yourself covered in the USA then you should be fine.
I would say it is a must do. Probably only second to London and Europe culturally. If you lived in just two places on the globe, live in Europe, try the US.
The land of opertunity. You’ll never be bored, I doubt you’ll regret it.

Last edited by LouisB; Feb 25th 2018 at 2:20 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouisB
Well anecdotally sure, but trend wise it is statistically. One of the worst, typically.
Complete and abject nonsense. Which country has regular 'race riots' and the Black Lives Matter movement because the cops kills so many black people? Australia is the most successful multicultural society in the world and I have lived in the UK and spent 6 months travelling the USA (1998) so I do have some insight. Of course there are some 'racists' here but there is the USA as well. I work with people from all over the world and they all so they have felt nothing but welcome in Australia, I loathe this Australia is racist nonsense.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Complete and abject nonsense. Which country has regular 'race riots' and the Black Lives Matter movement because the cops kills so many black people? Australia is the most successful multicultural society in the world and I have lived in the UK and spent 6 months travelling the USA (1998) so I do have some insight. Of course there are some 'racists' here but there is the USA as well. I work with people from all over the world and they all so they have felt nothing but welcome in Australia, I loathe this Australia is racist nonsense.
Truth hurts.
You could sell Australia on a few things but not this, never this.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but Australia has a MASSIVE issue with racism. I have never been so disgusted in my life at the levels of racism. In many ways it was worse than South Africa during apartheid as at least that had the excuse of being institutional led.

My wife is from a none white / none European background and had never felt it for over 20 years until we were in Oz. Australia has a lot of good things, but some serious negatives and this is one of its massive negatives.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Sorry, but Australia has a MASSIVE issue with racism. I have never been so disgusted in my life at the levels of racism. In many ways it was worse than South Africa during apartheid as at least that had the excuse of being institutional led.

My wife is from a none white / none European background and had never felt it for over 20 years until we were in Oz. Australia has a lot of good things, but some serious negatives and this is one of its massive negatives.
Maybe that's because you lived in Perth which is full to the brim of South Africans.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's some very good points. I must say the only place I have been taunted for being white is the USA. I don't see a lot of racist activity in Sydney, but if you do, it generally comes from the Islamic community.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's some very good points. I must say the only place I have been taunted for being white is the USA. I don't see a lot of racist activity in Sydney, but if you do, it generally comes from the Islamic community.
Plenty of racism still around in Australia. Queensland small towns are a case in point; lots of racist attitudes and comments, especially among the older part of the community and they don't see anything wrong in it.
But you know already; that its been debated on BE more times than I can remember.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Plenty of racism still around in Australia. Queensland small towns are a case in point; lots of racist attitudes and comments, especially among the older part of the community and they don't see anything wrong in it.
But you know already; that its been debated on BE more times than I can remember.
I can imagine small towns in Queensland are very insular. Some of the worst racism I have seen from small towns is in farming villages in Surrey and Sussex. They are scared of the multiculturalism of London.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 11:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, a white person cannot imagine the level of racism that occurs in Australia unless you're in a close relationship with a non white. To say you've been abused for being white three times in NY in no way relates to the level of racism non whites receive - both in Aus and the US. (Not saying racism towards whites doesn't happen).
Old Feb 26th 2018, 11:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB

More generally there’s more of everything in the USA. You want cities, yep, open space, yep, mountains, yep, beaches, yep, deserts, yep, lakes, yep, also on average it will be less racist. (Australia unfortunately scores badly there). Especially in the cities like New York, which is very diverse for the better.
You missed some of the things the US has more of - guns, mass shootings, kids going to school and never going home..

If you're going compare countries you need to be honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.