Reload this Page >

Move to Sydney or New York?

Move to Sydney or New York?

Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

the pea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Sydney or New York?

Hi there,
So I have been offered a job both in Sydney and New York and I am torn which one to select. Both are roughly undertaking the same role, but the Sydney role is offering more money.

I have never been to Sydney but have been to Melbourne and loved it. I have been to New York and enjoyed it as well. People often say that New York has more buzz and should live there at least once. I have been told that Sydney is quite dull in comparison to New York and London, where I currently live. However, I am not sure if in the long term I would want to live in New York as it does possibly have a shelf life and think maybe Sydney would be a better choice if considering future planning. I am 30 years of age and single so don’t really have any commitments. Although the Sydney job is offering more money, sometimes maybe its not about the money but about the experience.

I was wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom or if anyone has lived in both and which they preferred taking into account the wider Australian and American culture as well. I have been travelling a bit and think in general I found myself to be more in tune with Australian humour and sociability, but that is a generalisation and the people you meet travelling probably shouldn’t be used a barometer of the wider population.

I think I have over thought the options and I can’t even tell what my gut is telling me.

I know I should probably go and visit Sydney first but I don’t at this point have the funds or the time, also it would be interesting to find out other people’s opinion. Friends and family are split on the decision and is mostly based on weather and distance from UK.

Thank you x

P.S wasn’t sure which forum to put this on so have posted on both US and OZ forums as I assume people don’t tend to visit both.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Sydney or New York?

Is this just a temporary move? Are PR visas on offer?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Where will look better on your CV? I am assuming that both options are temporary - don't bank on either being permanent so what would stop you doing NY then looking at Sydney the next time round. I would have thought that NY would give you better options for career progression - it is more "centre of the world" than an insignificant little backwater. NY will be closer to home if you have any family connections you want to preserve and cheaper to fly to and from into the bargain (and minus the jet lag!). Which one gives you the better leave provisions? Australia usually only has 20 days leave provision so if you fancy a trip to Europe then you've used the whole allowance in one hit. Both are English speaking, so that is an even steven, the Yanks drive on the wrong side of the road but we wont hold that against them.

You're lucky to have the choice really. If totally stumped by rational thinking, I usually toss a coin and if the first answer evokes the response "best of 3" I think you know what your gut is telling you.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

the pea is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be working as a project manager in construction in both places. I would be working on the metro expansion in Sydney. New York offers 14days holiday and OZ 20days. I would be coming over on a 457 visa which the company would sort out.

I was thinking about doing NY first and then look again at Australia but I think I am just worried that I may not get another offer like the one currently on the table and it is a good project which would look good on the CV.

I realise I am in a lucky position to have both offers but I guess I am just scared to make a decision I later regret.

I like the idea of the coin - just need to muster up the courage to make the call!!!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Sydney and visited New York briefly on a couple of business trips. I definitely fall into the "you should live in NY once" camp. Sydney is fun and has a lot to offer, but NY was genuinely exciting and the buzz was almost at fever pitch when something was going (concert/making a movie etc). There is the added bonus that being a Brit in New York definitely has advantages - especially if you are single. If anything its a negative in Sydney.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

AU has better leave entitlement which Quoll neglected to mention. I think the choice is are you a beachy summer person or a metropolis person?

In terms of distance, young Australians will travel to Europe etc without too much fuss. It's only young kids that make it more of a logistics bother.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 9th 2018 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Single New York every time. One regret on a personal level is never lived and worked in New York even when had the option.

New York, like London is an alpha city. One that stands above all others, for good or bad, in the world.

You are right money is certainly not everything. Experience is though. There is every chance Sydney will still be available at a later stage.

I'd go New York if thirty every time. Good Luck.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

New York, not even a comparison really. The future options for yourself in a good career are so much greater. And once you get established in the USA you can live anywhere. Everything in Australia is a poor 2nd to the US I'm afraid. Maybe one exception the 'free' healthcare but as long as you get yourself covered in the USA then you should be fine.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
New York, not even a comparison really. The future options for yourself in a good career are so much greater. And once you get established in the USA you can live anywhere. Everything in Australia is a poor 2nd to the US I'm afraid. Maybe one exception the 'free' healthcare but as long as you get yourself covered in the USA then you should be fine.
I forget sometimes that many of us came from London and worked elsewhere before AU was a glint in our eye....if someone has not had that, then NY would definitely be a place to be..by 30 I had already had my international experience 'gig'..in my case it was banking and securities....and I was able to tick a box..
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the pea
People often say that New York has more buzz and should live there at least once.
That is correct. I did a short stint in New York in my late 20's. The US salaries are generally crap but New York is worth the living for a short period.

However, I am not sure if in the long term I would want to live in New York as it does possibly have a shelf life and think maybe Sydney would be a better choice if considering future planning.
That is also correct. The shelf life is short but lots of fun and definitely worth it once.

I am 30 years of age and single so don’t really have any commitments. Although the Sydney job is offering more money, sometimes maybe its not about the money but about the experience.
Experience ranks over money, especially if its not forever.

I was wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom or if anyone has lived in both and which they preferred taking into account the wider Australian and American culture as well.
Yes lived in both places. New York you have to do once if the opportunity is there. Sydney is also fun but New York opportunities don't pop up every day, and (I think you said you worked in construction) given the amount of cranes in the sky, and the construction going on underground, Sydney will keep going for a while.

Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As it's temporary I'd do New York and then look at Sydney when that contract ends. It's relatively speaking much easier to get a temp contract to Aus than it is to the US so whilst you have the chance I'd go for it.

Whilst you have shorter holidays in the US it's a lot quicker and easier to get back to the UK. If this is your first chance of living abroad and you have family and friends you're close to, it's an easier path to take.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

JC1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

New York everytime
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

grifforama is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember that winter in New York SUCKS. And it lasts from November until March.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has 'only' 4 weeks annual leave meanwhile the USA has two weeks?
Old Feb 25th 2018, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan of New York personally. The people are atrocious. Good place to visit for two weeks and tick off your bucket list. If I never went again to NY I couldn't care less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.