Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The move ... our motivation...

Wikiposts

The move ... our motivation...

Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The move ... our motivation...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is your experience & that's all that matters really. Doesn't mean you are right. Lot's of other people, including me, would disagree with you, but that doesn't matter. It's what you want to believe that counts.
Aye - opinions are like arseholes etc etc ... but as the title of this thread says, it's 'our' motivation...
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:05 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The move ... our motivation...

Originally Posted by glittababe
TY for that, will check it out as its fairly close to my nanna! Will request not to have room 4 cos of the boiler (that'll freak them out). Or I could request the room, complain and have a price reduction!
No probs; better IMHO to ask for a room at the end of the corridor to begin with, 'cos it will save you a bit of hassle.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:06 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: The move ... our motivation...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There are basically only 2 reasons why we moved here:
1. The vast majority of kids in the UK are wankers & I don't want my son to grow up like them. There are wankers here, but the majority of kids seem 'normal' to me.
2. The 'rat race' that is life in the SE of England. The M25, crap trains, overcrowded etc.

Apart from that UK is a great place, fantastic opportunities, great wages, stable, strong housing market, good travel options. Australia & UK share all the same social problems. I'm not trying to escape the alleged social problems of the UK. Australia has a great lifestyle, more space, friendly etc but the ability to make money here is not as good as the UK.

Weather is not a big factor for me:
UK is in Western Europe, sticking out into the Atlantic = cold, damp weather,
Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere = warm, dry weather,
Facts of nature really = not important.

That's it really. Simple as. It's all good.
Any particular reason why you didn't choose Suid Afrika?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:15 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Do you believe in Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)? I think it effects most of us at one point or another and it can lead to feelings of negativity. Just looking out of the window up at grey skies can make you feel a bit down, then that affects the rest of the day.
Yeah been feeling it all weekend
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I strongly suspect that *is* the partially the problem.
just our perspective but we've found that a lot of it stems down to how you approach life. Some peeps are naturally pessimistic and negative about everything, others view their glass as half full not half empty. One thing I've learnt is if you're happy in the UK, you'll be happy in aus, in fact you could be happy anywhere as you're realistic and can focus on the good bits.

Our take on aus when we first arrived? Yes the sun was shining, but it was the same as any other country, rubbish strewn about the place, graphitti, huge telepgraph/electrical poles and a mix match of housing stemming from scenes out of Stepford Wives to the Dukes of Hazard! Nowhere on earth is utopia (unless you're loaded) but you kinda make your life what it is. Moving to any other country gives you the opportunity or chance to find/create your own utopia by restarting your life again. Most people will have the finances and time to start planning and putting together their new life. Its a stressful, challenging and exciting time, but only you'll be able to say whether you've achieved what you set out to. The reasons you want to move are personal to you, nobody elses opinions matter. You do whats right for your family cos you do only get one life and you have to make the best of it, whether it be in the UK or Aus.

Last edited by glittababe; Feb 19th 2006 at 3:18 am.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice

If i can have 1 day a week in oz like this the move will be worth it to me

Get up

Have breakfast
(Don't do this often in the UK as it's just to cold so i stay warm in bed until i have to go to work).

Take the wife and kids down to Burliegh beach for a walk and a surf
(Can't do this in the UK as we cant afford to live near a beach and the weathers always s**t).

Go to work

Go home and sit in the garden with a cold beer and maybe a BBQ.
(can't do this in the UK as the weather is shit and we can't afford a house with a proper garden were we live, and the local yob's would lower the tone by shouting obscene language).

Go to sleep.

That's it, and the rest will be a huge bonus.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:29 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sean trethewey
If i can have 1 day a week in oz like this the move will be worth it to me

Get up

Have breakfast
(Don't do this often in the UK as it's just to cold so i stay warm in bed until i have to go to work).

Take the wife and kids down to Burliegh beach for a walk and a surf
(Can't do this in the UK as we cant afford to live near a beach and the weathers always s**t).

Go to work

Go home and sit in the garden with a cold beer and maybe a BBQ.
(can't do this in the UK as the weather is shit and we can't afford a house with a proper garden were we live, and the local yob's would lower the tone by shouting obscene language).

Go to sleep.

That's it, and the rest will be a huge bonus.
lol - aye - perhaps I should also have mentioned that I love surfing too - I'll even boot and suit for the Cornish surf in mid-winter. Being able to get out the back in a rashie and shorts after a 5 minute drive from the house is going to be bloody great.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice

lol - aye - perhaps I should also have mentioned that I love surfing too - I'll even boot and suit for the Cornish surf in mid-winter. Being able to get out the back in a rashie and shorts after a 5 minute drive from the house is going to be bloody great.
Don't i went this morning, drove 40mins to whitsand's 3ft off shore but couldn't go in as the army were training so just walked the dog, went home to drop the oh and dog off and drove another 30mins to wembury 2ft offshore, started getting dressed realised i was missing 1 f*****g boot so drove home and dreamed of the warm Goldy weather and 22c water instead.

Last edited by sean trethewey; Feb 19th 2006 at 3:41 am.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:44 am
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: The move ... our motivation...

scary isn't it? we check the kids skin almost on a daily basis. on the skin cancer website is a 'bodymap' you can download, print off and mark down the details of every mole so you can see if they change. We even found some new ones on the boys scalps - very difficult to see as they have long hair. Its important not to become complacent. I did and then found a mole on the sole of my foot. Saw GP in UK, he faxed over referral and had an appointment for me at medical photography and dermatology with 20 mins!!!! Not bad for the NHS!
Hi Glitterbabe, what skin cancer website is that?? My hubby is always asking me to check his moles!! despite me having worked in a gp surgery in qld which did a lot of skin checks and minor surgery, he needs reassurance +++
Cheers ff xx
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you Hutch !! just remembering our 9 year old daughter running flat out everyday with my MILs dog on the dog beach in Perth, just makes us know we are doing the right thing in moving ! Yes we know about skin cancer & will make sure she uses the protection she needs ( why does everything we enjoy have to be bad for you ??.. so annoying ) But am still convinced this has got to be more healthy than sitting in the house on a Sunday afternoon when its pissing down outside, watching telly !!

Nicky & John
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I probably should have explained the original post better - the photos were designed to highlight the way my son Josh felt when in Oz and when here - look at his face in those photos, compare and contrast - he's four and a half, there's nothing 'staged' about them. Yes, it's partially about the weather, but more than that, it's about the way the place makes us feel.

There's something about this country (England) that saps my will to live - sorry if that bothers you and makes you all defensive towards the old country, but that's honestly the way it makes me feel. I'm no expat rooky, I've lived abroad before (US and Oz for a year or two, as well as a year doing the student backpack thing travelling all over Europe) and I knew I had to get out of the UK when I returned from my first trip to my dad's home country of Australia. The stench of malcontent hits you like a wall of shit as soon as you stroll down that tunnel off the aeroplane at Heathrow. Everything around you is grey, run-down, miserable and depressing - as a nation we're supposed to get by on two weeks of 'summer' when every Briton with a car and some holiday time tries to cram into the few beaches in the country not awash with effluent and we're charged obscene sums of money to stay in pokey apartments and hotel suites.

After I got back from Oz the first time I wondered whether I'd actually been awake for the previous decade - we just seem to 'put up' with things in this country, which is all well and good when there's a war on, but not much cop during peacetime. I thought it was just me, but the first time we travelled to Oz as a family I knew it wasn't - my wife Catherine and son Josh clearly felt the same way. I refuse to live in a country that only truly seems alive for a very short period in the middle of the year and which accepts and glorifies mediocrity in all walks of life. If you're happy in the UK, or you moved to Oz, regretted and are moving back - great, enjoy, you're welcome to it. My days of sitting on the fence are over.

Great post! k sent...
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:35 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful frosty sunny mornings! Have lots of them.
Do me a favour.

Beautiful frosty sunny mornings only look good from inside your house with the central heating on.

If you do venture out, it's usually limited time wrapped up to the hilt, watching your kids don't fall over and break their necks. Either that or trying to start your car and clear the frost off the windscreen.

In December, a 27 year old women died near my home on the A1 together with her baby boys - 6 months and 2. Their close family has been shattered and the Dad had to be heavily sedated before the funeral. That was a beautiful frosty morning - the lorry that killed them locked up on ice.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

wannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the rough

our motivation is also our son!
he is 20 months old and I know we are gonna have a bettr lifestyle in Oz than what we do here. We hate the cold weather....we love the out door BBQ lifestyle and walks along sandy beaches before bed!!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
As an Aussie I will gladly go on record as someone who enjoys the UK winter.
I have an advantage over most Aussies (having spent 15 years in Tassie getting acclimatised to the cold) and I've really enjoyed the UK's white winters.
Something we agree on! I used to love it when the snow fell.

Atleast when the weather is cold you can put on more clothes, consume warm drinks and still get out and about. On days of extreme heat, you can only remove so many clothes, I find myself totally sapped of any energy and have difficulty sleeping.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:57 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Something we agree on! I used to love it when the snow fell.

Atleast when the weather is cold you can put on more clothes, consume warm drinks and still get out and about. On days of extreme heat, you can only remove so many clothes, I find myself totally sapped of any energy and have difficulty sleeping.
Yes but you get many more cold days in the UK then there are very hot days in OZ, for example in Victoria you only ge around 20 days a year when its over 35c degrees, but half the year in the UK its cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.