Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The move ... our motivation...

Wikiposts

The move ... our motivation...

Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The move ... our motivation...

Originally Posted by Hutch
You're absolutely right. Here he is on the 5th of July in Newquay - wearing the traditional UK summertime outfit, of a fleece.

I'm looking through my large photo collection, when I find one with the sun shining, I'll upload it. You'd better get some

You asked how it compared, if you dont want replies dont ask, compare fairly thats all.

Eg the other day, you started a thread knocking people whod had a hard time in OZ, but over on the Uk forum you were doing your godforsaken hole posts on the UK again.

You post away, but dont expect someone whos eight year old had a skin cancer removed expect to agree with it all.

Forum = different people different views.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Beautiful snaps. Have to say as a mum of 3 boys whose moved between uk>aus and back again, and again; kids are happy wherever they are, as long as they've got their mates and family! My kids love both countries. Aus for the warmer climate where their asthma and eczema disappears, the spectacular scenery and wildlife. The UK for the cooler climate where they can wrap up warm, stick on wellies and disappear off on their bikes. They find fun wherever they are. In aus they made mates straight away, found some wood and made a 'cubby' or den, the same thing they did in the UK! It was kind of home from home.

The only thing about aus that concerns me is the amount of chemicals and crap you have to shove on their skin just so they can go outside. In the summer when temps hit 40+ its too hot to do anything. We found the boys very lethargic, hanging around the house, moaning about the weather and how crap the TV was. Sound familiar?

One of the most important things is to try not to influence your kids or cloud their judgement on both countries. We let ours make up their own minds and they've all said they like bits from both countries and feel happy in both countries. Our eldest wants to return to the UK to go to uni here as even he's realised the prospects are 'probably' better for him in the UK. We'll support them whatever their choices in later life, thats if we have the finances after we've forked out for education, braces and healthcare in Aus!

Happy kids in UK and Aus!
Attached Thumbnails The move ... our motivation...-dcp_2259.jpg   The move ... our motivation...-dcp_2320.jpg   The move ... our motivation...-dcp_2411.jpg   The move ... our motivation...-17380dcp_2013.jpg   The move ... our motivation...-aaron-fishing.jpg  

Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You asked how it compared, if you dont want replies dont ask, compare fairly thats all.

Eg the other day, you started a thread knocking people whod had a hard time in OZ, but over on the Uk forum you were doing your godforsaken hole posts on the UK again.

You post away, but dont expect someone whos eight year old had a skin cancer removed expect to agree with it all.

Forum = different people different views.
scary isn't it? we check the kids skin almost on a daily basis. on the skin cancer website is a 'bodymap' you can download, print off and mark down the details of every mole so you can see if they change. We even found some new ones on the boys scalps - very difficult to see as they have long hair. Its important not to become complacent. I did and then found a mole on the sole of my foot. Saw GP in UK, he faxed over referral and had an appointment for me at medical photography and dermatology with 20 mins!!!! Not bad for the NHS!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:17 am
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

Godforsaken holes, suffering families etc nice to see your not bitter then

Look my point was why pick a pic of a UK winter and place it up against a pic of something in Oz most people would not do, thats all no lecture.
When did you last spend summer in the UK , I thought the picture in fleece, bobble hat gloves and wellies WAS taken in our delightful british summer!!!!, which if I remember correctly last year summer 2005 North West England lasted approx 5 days and made a guest appearance around April, or it could of been May ( I will stand corrected if anyone has the official dates for last summer). Great pictures by the way.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

scary isn't it? we check the kids skin almost on a daily basis. on the skin cancer website is a 'bodymap' you can download, print off and mark down the details of every mole so you can see if they change. We even found some new ones on the boys scalps - very difficult to see as they have long hair. Its important not to become complacent. I did and then found a mole on the sole of my foot. Saw GP in UK, he faxed over referral and had an appointment for me at medical photography and dermatology with 20 mins!!!! Not bad for the NHS!
The scalp is a real problem, when they swim you cant sunblock under hair, and they cant wear a hat, well not if they surf you cant.

Its very sun aware up here, grade 7 camp tomorrow, the kids are not allowed to take baseball caps, muscle t's, shorts which cut off above knees and their shirts have to cover their arms completely. No broad brimmed hat, no camp, no excuses is at the bottom of the class note
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The move ... our motivation...

Originally Posted by Hutch
You're absolutely right. Here he is on the 5th of July in Newquay - wearing the traditional UK summertime outfit, of a fleece.

I'm looking through my large photo collection, when I find one with the sun shining, I'll upload it. You'd better get some
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hutch again.
ROTFL @ "traditional UK summertime outfit, of a fleece."
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

My motivation is the weather/lifestyle as well. For every gain though there has to be a loss.
On Friday I was down my mates pub with other friends of many years.Last night me and the oh went out with her sister and oh.We go on holiday with them and my boys have grown up with their girls.
I am hoping to move to Oz in 2007 to give them a "better" life but I am also depriving my kids of the things they love here too.
If you think the U.K is a godforsaken hole then it is probably better off without you.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

The scalp is a real problem, when they swim you cant sunblock under hair, and they cant wear a hat, well not if they surf you cant.

Its very sun aware up here, grade 7 camp tomorrow, the kids are not allowed to take baseball caps, muscle t's, shorts which cut off above knees and their shirts have to cover their arms completely. No broad brimmed hat, no camp, no excuses is at the bottom of the class note
Our kids have so much hair they can't wear baseball caps, its wide brimmed hats or they can't go out! Did you watch that documentary about skin cancer? It was either channel ten or seven but it was really scary I thought we had a lovely summer last year in the UK? I know we're in East Anglia, but we definately had way more than just '5 days' sunshine. It was sunny most days from May through to end September! Even at the begining of October, Mark and I were still out in the evening enjoying a glass of bubbly on the decking!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
When did you last spend summer in the UK , I thought the picture in fleece, bobble hat gloves and wellies WAS taken in our delightful british summer!!!!, which if I remember correctly last year summer 2005 North West England lasted approx 5 days and made a guest appearance around April, or it could of been May ( I will stand corrected if anyone has the official dates for last summer). Great pictures by the way.
Was there in dec and jan, sorry not summer but some lovely frosty sunny days. Prior to that many summers, boys played cricket and soccer, we got outside plenty, winter and summer.

After you've lived here suns not all that anyway, shade and airconditioning pretty quickly go on the wishlist, government advertising in the paper to get inside after 6 minutes puts you off a bit anyway.

Kids get are exactly the same here when its too hot as they are in the UK when its too cold, stay inside computer aircon and playstation.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:34 am
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

Our kids have so much hair they can't wear baseball caps, its wide brimmed hats or they can't go out! Did you watch that documentary about skin cancer? It was either channel ten or seven but it was really scary I thought we had a lovely summer last year in the UK? I know we're in East Anglia, but we definately had way more than just '5 days' sunshine. It was sunny most days from May through to end September! Even at the begining of October, Mark and I were still out in the evening enjoying a glass of bubbly on the decking!
Depends on your definition of sunshine, the Brits throw their shorts and get their stomaches out if it hits 12 degrees, I lived in Nevada for several years so 40 degrees plus is what I call sunshine, so maybe we never even has 5 days. I stand corrected there was no summer to speak of.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Was there in dec and jan, sorry not summer but some lovely frosty sunny days. Prior to that many summers, boys played cricket and soccer, we got outside plenty, winter and summer.

After you've lived here suns not all that anyway, shade and airconditioning pretty quickly go on the wishlist, government advertising in the paper to get inside after 6 minutes puts you off a bit anyway.

Kids get are exactly the same here when its too hot as they are in the UK when its too cold, stay inside computer aircon and playstation.
Beautiful frosty sunny mornings! Have lots of them. Today is grey, but most of the week has seen blue skies. In fact it rained yesterday and both Mark and I said we couldn't remember the last time it had rained properly.
Attached Thumbnails The move ... our motivation...-dcp_2493.jpg  
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
Depends on your definition of sunshine, the Brits throw their shorts and get their stomaches out if it hits 12 degrees, I lived in Nevada for several years so 40 degrees plus is what I call sunshine, so maybe we never even has 5 days. I stand corrected there was no summer to speak of.
summer for us starts around June, temps go above 17 and reach 31. Summer storms ensure the surrounding countryside stays beautiful and green The evenings draw in around 9pm and we can happily stay outside in the garden until 11pm. We have a patio heater, fairy lights, music etc We really make the most of the British summers. We really appreciate what we have and make the best out of everything.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The move ... our motivation...

As an Aussie and part-time UK-basher I will gladly go on record as someone who enjoys the UK winter. West Australian summers are starting to get quite scary; when the UV Index hits 15, you know it's time to invest in a radiation-proof suit!

I have an advantage over most Aussies (having spent 15 years in Tassie getting acclimatised to the cold) and I've really enjoyed the UK's white winters, which lend a certain charm to this quaint little old-fashioned island.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
As an Aussie and part-time UK-basher I will gladly go on record as someone who enjoys the UK winter. West Australian summers are starting to get quite scary; when the UV Index hits 15, you know it's time to invest in a radiation-proof suit!

I have an advantage over most Aussies (having spent 15 years in Tassie getting acclimatised to the cold) and I've really enjoyed the UK's white winters, which lend a certain charm to this quaint little old-fashioned island.
a good honest opinion
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

we had a fab chrimbo last year and really made the most of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.