Reload this Page >

Move to Melbourne?

Move to Melbourne?

Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Lottieamy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Move to Melbourne?

Hi Everyone,

I am 27 from London and contemplating handing in my notice and make the move to Melbourne. Has anyone got any advice and most importantly, should I do it?!
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Melbourne?

Do you have a visa? A job to come to? Good reasons for contemplating it?
Old Jun 9th 2014, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Take a career break if you are going to give it a go. You should get a WHV for a year at least.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt bother to be honest. Melbourne is very much like London, the weathers pretty rubbish and its packed with people.

Walking down the street in the city and get jostled and walked into constantly is not fun. Neither is being packed into the public transport, sure there is a beach close by outside the city but its so damn cold most of the time its not worth it.
I think we had maybe 2 weeks of sunshine for summer this year

I live in the city on the north side
Old Jun 9th 2014, 12:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I wouldnt bother to be honest. Melbourne is very much like London, the weathers pretty rubbish and its packed with people.

Walking down the street in the city and get jostled and walked into constantly is not fun. Neither is being packed into the public transport, sure there is a beach close by outside the city but its so damn cold most of the time its not worth it.

The mean maximum temperature in Melbourne last summer was 27.5 degrees celsius. 6 days were over 41.

Melbourne is nothing like London, in any respect.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 12:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottieamy
Hi Everyone,

I am 27 from London and contemplating handing in my notice and make the move to Melbourne. Has anyone got any advice and most importantly, should I do it?!
Hi Lottieamy

If you want useful replies, you're going to need to give us more information. For example - are you looking to come to Australia for a year or two, or do you want to emigrate permanently? If the latter, what is your profession/job and your qualifications?

As mentioned, a Work/Holiday Visa will allow you to visit Australia for a year, you can work anywhere in Oz during that year but can only be with a single employer for up to 6 months. If you complete 3 months work in a regional area, you can apply for a 2nd year WHV.

Skilled migration is a whole different ball game, you need to have a skill that Australia is short of and there's a process to go through, with a significant investment of your time and money.

Let us know what your aims are and we can give you more advice
Old Jun 9th 2014, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

The mean maximum temperature in Melbourne last summer was 27.5 degrees celsius. 6 days were over 41.

Melbourne is nothing like London, in any respect.
We were there from January to late March and the 'only two weeks of sunshine' claim is frankly ridiculous, there was sunshine most days. Mind you we were 7 kms south west of the CBD so there might be a micro climate to the north. As you say, most days were in the mid to high twenties during our time, we had rain on only 3 days, the lowest minimum temp was about 19 and there were 4 consecutive days over 40 (unfortunately during the 1st week of the tennis). I don't recall being jostled in the city, can't comment on public transport as I don't use it.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by OzTennis
We were there from January to late March and the 'only two weeks of sunshine' claim is frankly ridiculous, there was sunshine most days. Mind you we were 7 kms south west of the CBD so there might be a micro climate to the north. As you say, most days were in the mid to high twenties during our time, we had rain on only 3 days, the lowest minimum temp was about 19 and there were 4 consecutive days over 40 (unfortunately during the 1st week of the tennis). I don't recall being jostled in the city, can't comment on public transport as I don't use it.
As I was reading your post I remembered something that I'd rather forget Christmas 2012, it'd been so bloody hot in Perth so I thought I'd surprise scouse for a bit of respite from the heat, by taking him to Melbourne for NY. We arrived in Melbourne on the first day of a heat wave! Scouse got sick as well. Not my finest 'surprise!' moment.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottieamy
Hi Everyone,

Well it is not possible to just make the move, unless you are a citizen there is the matter of a visa to consider first. If you are thinking of the WHV, then I would advise you not to refer to this as "making the move", it is just a long holiday with the bonus of some working rights thrown in.

As to should you do it, it is a very personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. Some people are glad they did, others not so. There is only you that can really weigh it up.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dave99

This post has to be a wind up. The populations of the two cities are vastly different. It's only busy down places like Swanston St, which would still be like tumble weed central compared to Oxford St in London. "there is a beach"? What just the one? There are beaches everywhere. 2 weeks of sunshine this summer? Was there some industrial fog over the northern suburbs or something?

What a weird reply.....
Old Jun 14th 2014, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
This post has to be a wind up. The populations of the two cities are vastly different. It's only busy down places like Swanston St, which would still be like tumble weed central compared to Oxford St in London. "there is a beach"? What just the one? There are beaches everywhere. 2 weeks of sunshine this summer? Was there some industrial fog over the northern suburbs or something?

What a weird reply.....
I don't think Dave likes Oz very much. Its a bit sad really, it's not nice to be somewhere you dislike
Old Jun 14th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Do it.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 11:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Move to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't think Dave likes Oz very much. Its a bit sad really, it's not nice to be somewhere you dislike
He didn't like Perth either, I can't understand why he stays in Australia, I don't believe there's any family ties or anything.

BB
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

ChristopherRiberts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I'm 28 and thinking of moving to - not necessarily to Melbourne, I was thinking Perth or Sydney.

What are the easiest jobs to get a VISA? I work in digital marketing currently.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

ChristopherRiberts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I'm 28 and thinking of moving to - not necessarily to Melbourne, I was thinking Perth or Sydney.

What are the easiest jobs to get a VISA? I work in digital marketing currently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.