Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move earlier than planned - car question

Move earlier than planned - car question

Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Move earlier than planned - car question

"e.g. If I own a Rolls Royce originally bought for £100 000 and it's mine and I own nothing on it now and it is now worth only £50 000 after 10 years of ownership. I just got my visa and now I want to ship it to Oz, I don't add the shipping cost of say £5000 onto £50 000 i.e. £55 000 and say that's what it costs me to ship it to Oz"

In the case of a car valued over $56000 approx then luxury car tax of 33% would be applied at I believe 65% of the average selling price of the car in Australia, meaning the value of the car is important when determining the full costs

Good Luck
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sfr09
"e.g. If I own a Rolls Royce originally bought for £100 000 and it's mine and I own nothing on it now and it is now worth only £50 000 after 10 years of ownership. I just got my visa and now I want to ship it to Oz, I don't add the shipping cost of say £5000 onto £50 000 i.e. £55 000 and say that's what it costs me to ship it to Oz"

In the case of a car valued over $56000 approx then luxury car tax of 33% would be applied at I believe 65% of the average selling price of the car in Australia, meaning the value of the car is important when determining the full costs

Good Luck

Thanks, yes I realise that. I was just using it as an example. I should have used a smaller value and car which didn't include luxury tax.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

i'm sure that if you have owned your car for more than a year you just avoid paying import duty on it ...simple as that
there are loads of car importers here in perth and you can't tell me that they have owned all these cars for more than 12 months overseas......so i would say yes, you can import your car but you'll have to stump up for the impert duty!!

I wish we'd bought our cars now for what we got selling them quick just before we left and the piece of crap freelander we spent $12K on when we got here (UK price 1500 quid).....

And no you don't need a 4WD all the roads are well maintained

Last edited by JAMMIE DODGER; Mar 16th 2010 at 8:47 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:35 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
i'm sure that if you have owned your car for more than a year you just avoid paying import duty on it ...simple as that
......so i would say yes, you can import your car but you'll have to stump up for the impert duty!!
Incorrect I'm afraid.

Importing vehicles as business is also different to the personal import scheme.

To clarify the import rules of motor vehicles please see the following link:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Having done a lot of research I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that its not worth it, even for one of our cars. a BMW which would sell for about £7,500 in the UK and cost about $35,000 in Australia. Its a combination of all of the costs, loss of residual value and difficulty of servicing. I also looked at BigApe's posts (he's done it and concuded its not worth it). Like this one http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7624416