Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move on to Change Australia Day

Move on to Change Australia Day

Old Jan 26th 2018, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move on to Change Australia Day

We used to attend "Aussie Day" at Perth foreshore, from 1998 - 2005 and we stopped going as we us to attend with our two young sons and my dad (who use to visited us from the UK) and the reason we stopped attending was of the behaviour of "all types" it just took away from the meaning of the day for us, we then attended Armadale Aussie Day which was a really good mixture of the "how Australia evolved" ie we had Aboriginal history and entertainment, Scottish dancing and matching bands and also modern Australian entertainment, it was a very family day and we loved going. To be fair we respected the day and thought it was a nice way of being proud of your country but for us it was just a very nice day. I think if you love your country and you know your history/culture then you don't really need these type of big event days. By the way here are some facts in a UK paper I was reading today:

Budgerigars have lived in Aus for 5 millions the were only brought to Europe in the 19th Century. Australias hight mountain Mount Kosciuszko and Sydney are both named after men who nver visited Aus.The Dinto fence in Aus built in the 1880's to pretect sheef from dingoes is 3,488 miles long. The Kangaroo and Emu were chosen for the Coat of Arms because they cannot walk backwards thus exemplifying forward thinking. About 164,000 convicts were transported to Aus between 1788 and 1868 from the UK

Hope everyone has/had a good Aussie Day.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very interesting Australia day. For the first time ever, a group of families did a park area just behind one of the city beaches. You know, the traditional stuff.

First and foremost, white Australia was in the minority. The place was packed, there was a group of Fijians to our left and a group of Afghanis to our right. Chinese playing cricket and the Brazilians playing volley ball. English backpackers draped in Aussie flags.

The best part were the BBQ's. The array of meat on offer was superb. The Afganis cooked this marinated chicken for hours and handed it out to anyone that came by and said "your BBQ looks amazing".

Not to be out done the Fijians then offered up their BBQ goodies. It really become the international BBQ competition.

Great day.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I had a very interesting Australia day. For the first time ever, a group of families did a park area just behind one of the city beaches. You know, the traditional stuff.

First and foremost, white Australia was in the minority. The place was packed, there was a group of Fijians to our left and a group of Afghanis to our right. Chinese playing cricket and the Brazilians playing volley ball. English backpackers draped in Aussie flags.

The best part were the BBQ's. The array of meat on offer was superb. The Afganis cooked this marinated chicken for hours and handed it out to anyone that came by and said "your BBQ looks amazing".

Not to be out done the Fijians then offered up their BBQ goodies. It really become the international BBQ competition.

Great day.

That's the real plus of City living. Cannot understate how good that kind of mixing with other cultures can be.

Had a whole heap of Muslim girls complete with head scarves playing kick about soccer down our local park yesterday. It's funny to hear their 100pct dinky di Aussie accents as they laugh and carry on.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Great day.
Sounds awesome.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:58 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I honestly don't get the hoopla about the day. What exactly should we be celebrating? In 12 years I've not seen anything other than people getting citizenship, random people getting Australian of the year awards and people in back gardens/beaches/park having a barbie whilst some are getting drunk and disrespecting the national flag.

What is the official point of the day?
I don't know if it's because I'm English, where we don't have a national holiday for St. George's Day, but I'm with the above.

If they're going to do it with a big song and dance, perhaps have it like the Americans, with a fixed day instead of a fixed date - 1st Friday in February, or 4th Friday in February (I like the alliteration)
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
If they're going to do it with a big song and dance, perhaps have it like the Americans, with a fixed day instead of a fixed date - 1st Friday in February, or 4th Friday in February (I like the alliteration)
Um, hate to break it to you, but in America it's a fixed date. 4th of July not the first Monday in July.

Canada has 1st July for Canada Day. We do however have a fixed day holiday in May for Queen Victoria's birthday. It's the closest Monday before the 24th of May.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 2:38 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Um, hate to break it to you, but in America it's a fixed date. 4th of July not the first Monday in July.

Canada has 1st July for Canada Day. We do however have a fixed day holiday in May for Queen Victoria's birthday. It's the closest Monday before the 24th of May.
Tsk, I was obviously referring to Thanksgiving

(it was early)
Old Jan 27th 2018, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I think the writing is probably on the wall for change. With up to 60,000 marching for change in Melbourne, my expectation is a surge in support over the coming years, perhaps not too dissimilar Same Sex Marriage vote.

It does need to be a fixed date though. I still think a day picked from the hat in February would suffice. Even keeping 26 January as 'Healing Day' retaining the public holiday. It is not as though Australia is awash with public holidays after all. Why not?

I attended the pre fire works event celebrating Indigenous music on the river front in Perth yesterday. Very impressed with the quality of music on display. It went on from about 3.30 until 8 pm. Obviously, a lot was quite political. But not only expressing displeasure at the white man, also about taking responsibility, tackling some of the social issues with grog, drugs, respecting women, the unimportance of colour, to stop the fighting between 'mobs' and so on. Some quite powerful stuff in places.

As for the fireworks, a very wel behaved crowd. Such a change from a few years back. Didn't hear a single Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi, Oi, Oi, thank heavens. Almost no one draped with an Australian flag, no over board nationalism at all, and certainly no violence.

No idea what happened to the braying ,pumped up youths of a few years back. I'd say most people around us were new immigrants, quite a few English accents, Asians in large numbers, just about everybody from everywhere.

Way to role. A definite improvement from late nineties and early 00's...
Old Jan 27th 2018, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I think the writing is probably on the wall for change. With up to 60,000 marching for change in Melbourne, my expectation is a surge in support over the coming years, perhaps not too dissimilar Same Sex Marriage vote.

It does need to be a fixed date though. I still think a day picked from the hat in February would suffice. Even keeping 26 January as 'Healing Day' retaining the public holiday. It is not as though Australia is awash with public holidays after all. Why not?

I attended the pre fire works event celebrating Indigenous music on the river front in Perth yesterday. Very impressed with the quality of music on display. It went on from about 3.30 until 8 pm. Obviously, a lot was quite political. But not only expressing displeasure at the white man, also about taking responsibility, tackling some of the social issues with grog, drugs, respecting women, the unimportance of colour, to stop the fighting between 'mobs' and so on. Some quite powerful stuff in places.

As for the fireworks, a very wel behaved crowd. Such a change from a few years back. Didn't hear a single Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi, Oi, Oi, thank heavens. Almost no one draped with an Australian flag, no over board nationalism at all, and certainly no violence.

No idea what happened to the braying ,pumped up youths of a few years back. I'd say most people around us were new immigrants, quite a few English accents, Asians in large numbers, just about everybody from everywhere.

Way to role. A definite improvement from late nineties and early 00's...

Generational change... Like i said in other posts the gen zs who are are the ones most likely to be out and about are generally speaking an all encompassing respectful bunch..... Theyll be celebrating ramadan and the chinese new year with their mates as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 27th 2018 at 5:48 am.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Generational change... Like i said in other posts the gen zs who are are the ones most likely to be out and about are generally speaking an all encompassing respectful bunch..... Theyll be celebrating ramadan and the chinese new year with their mates as well.
It would be nice to think this is so. Although I'm not gen z and have long celebrated Chinese New Year, Deevali, Ramadan where possible.

May many come aboard from all generations and celebrate difference. What a better world it would be if what made us different united us.
Many a baby boomer, that travelled the road, I'd hazard to remark arrived at that point, way, way before following generations. A shame it appears somehow lost in the mists if time.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

How awesome to see Richard di Natale hob-nobbing with people hoping that Australia "f***ing burns to the ground" and that Australia "does not deserve a day of national celebration in any capacity."

Since di Natale was there, can he please clarify if the Green Party supports these sentiments or refutes them? Unless he publicly distances himself from it, I can only surmise that this is supported policy by the Greens.

I personally don't care if they change the date, but changing the date will not solve anything. The activists driving this want the holiday abolished, and if the date is moved, they will just find some other grievance or offence to protest about it.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:19 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Whilst Jan 26 might have been the landing date of the first fleet, Cook first landed on 29 April in Botany Bay. 26 Jan to me seems like the day the UK opened a large prison!
I have a hunch that moving the date to April 29 wouldn't improve things. If anything there will be protests on both dates!

Although I haven't previously supported cutting formal ties and replacing the prime minister with a president, etc., I believe the day that does happen could well become the new Australia Day (instead of some silly name like "Independence Day").
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
How awesome to see Richard di Natale hob-nobbing with people hoping that Australia "f***ing burns to the ground" and that Australia "does not deserve a day of national celebration in any capacity."

Since di Natale was there, can he please clarify if the Green Party supports these sentiments or refutes them? Unless he publicly distances himself from it, I can only surmise that this is supported policy by the Greens.

I personally don't care if they change the date, but changing the date will not solve anything. The activists driving this want the holiday abolished, and if the date is moved, they will just find some other grievance or offence to protest about it.
Do these greens and other left wing bandwagoners realise they do more damage than good?

If you continue to pamper to indigenous people and other minorities with chips on shoulders, problems get created.

Changing the date is offensive to every other culture and nationality who chooses to call Australia home.

Back in your box di Natale. You are the problem.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 9:42 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I have a hunch that moving the date to April 29 wouldn't improve things. If anything there will be protests on both dates!

Although I haven't previously supported cutting formal ties and replacing the prime minister with a president, etc., I believe the day that does happen could well become the new Australia Day (instead of some silly name like "Independence Day").
I do wonder if you could find a date with some actual purpose to it, rather than just picking a notable date. That would seem like the only sane and reasonable reason to change such a date.

A national 'tidy up' day where everyone fixes up the place and makes it better would have a purpose. Or maybe 'grading the politicians' day, where everyone is presented with the real facts and data and can then grade the performance of the politicians, with failure to reach a pass mark resulting in an immediate election.

Moving a date because someone claims to be offended is a pathetic waste of time and energy (they will simply find another excuse to be offended), but having a purpose and attempting to achieve something would have a point. And saying that 26th Jan is too damn hot to actually do anything might be a valid reason to move, if you have a particular objective in mind.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Davo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie Day is like any other celebration some take it serious, some not. Some understand it's significance, some don't give a crap. Just because people celebrate it in their own way doesn't mean we should get rid of it.

If the day was moved the complainers would still complain - they don't want the day full stop it reminds them of atrocities towards the indiginous people. Truth is every single takeover in the world aint pretty and the irony is atrocities were aimed towards everyone not just the indiginous it was the sign of the day human rights didn't exist.

Leave the date, can't change history, we've already said sorry, move on. Celebrate in whatever way we want. It's a day for everyone in Aus to say we're proud to be part of the country whoever we are. Leave the moaners to fester in their own victim mentality.

Beer, barbie and mates from every country, religion. Who cares. Off to put another shrimp on the barbie..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.