Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move on to Change Australia Day

Move on to Change Australia Day

Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move on to Change Australia Day

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
In my limited experience of tbis debate there are far more non Aborigine people complaining about the date than Aborigines.
Yep, it's manufactured for political ends. The desire for guilt without reason and without end.

A fair amount (my %) couldn't care less. And hiw many Australians celebrate the date anyway? It's a day off not long after NY to get hammered and drag the national flag over sweaty bodies. It's dumb really.
They don't really seem to celebrate australian 'wins' on Australia Day. Mind there aren't any really, which is part of the problem. Outside the pointlessness of sport, what has Australia achieved?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious. Does it offend anyone that its referred to as "Invasion Day". Does it offend anyone that this term signifies the separation of 2 cultures and could lead to future separation of cultures within Australia?

It certainly offends me.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
. They don't really seem to celebrate australian 'wins' on Australia Day. Mind there aren't any really, which is part of the problem. Outside the pointlessness of sport, what has Australia achieved? :
Wins occur in battle and competition. What are you saying?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's manufactured for political ends. The desire for guilt without reason and without end.

They don't really seem to celebrate australian 'wins' on Australia Day. Mind there aren't any really, which is part of the problem. Outside the pointlessness of sport, what has Australia achieved?
Maybe if the people pooh-poohing Australia and Australia Day had been born here, they'd have a better understanding of what the day means and doesn't mean to many of us. Bloody Poms
Old Jan 25th 2018, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Well not sure. Australia Day was just another holiday until more recent times. Howard developed the nationalistic tone, but flag clad youth were going over board, at least in the Perth context in the early 00's. Clashes with police and some very anti social behaviour. Glad to say the turkeys are less in number as to be almost insignificant and people of all hues and races along with tourists view the firework over recent years with apparent harmony.

Not a fan of changing the day. It should be all inclusive to all races. I've never really been a fan of separation or one particular group that arrived before should dictate such an event. From what I witness here in Perth, Aboriginal culture is celebrated pre fire works as it should. That's in no way to deny numerous issues pre-existing and continuing within the Original arrivals.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Just curious. Does it offend anyone that its referred to as "Invasion Day". Does it offend anyone that this term signifies the separation of 2 cultures and could lead to future separation of cultures within Australia?

It certainly offends me.
Marketing, nothing more.

The fact that it is the inflection point that marks the transition from wilderness towards first world country remains, and is indisputable.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Maybe if the people pooh-poohing Australia and Australia Day had been born here, they'd have a better understanding of what the day means and doesn't mean to many of us. Bloody Poms
I'd have thought the fact that it was so easy for the marketeers to pervert the day and try and make it about something else would raise the question of what was being celebrated, and if people knew.

Personally I would have thought the celebrating the 'wins' would have been to the fore - but that aspect seems to be entirely missing.

Such days end up being about the myths you tell yourselves; so 11 Nov in the UK ends up being about wars, victory and sacrifice and the myth the people really care. Australia Day ends up being about BBQ, flags, and 100 also ran tunes.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 5:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Marketing, nothing more.

The fact that it is the inflection point that marks the transition from wilderness towards first world country remains, and is indisputable.

I'd have thought the fact that it was so easy for the marketeers to pervert the day and try and make it about something else would raise the question of what was being celebrated, and if people knew.

Personally I would have thought the celebrating the 'wins' would have been to the fore - but that aspect seems to be entirely missing.

Such days end up being about the myths you tell yourselves; so 11 Nov in the UK ends up being about wars, victory and sacrifice and the myth the people really care. Australia Day ends up being about BBQ, flags, and 100 also ran tunes.
Such days end up being about the myths you tell yourselves - no worries if you choose to believe that.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia Day.....the day that gives pissed up bogans the opportunity to be racist, violent a#$*holes.

Change the date, have an "international day" type celebration where all Australians, old and new, can share their cultural heritage in peaceful and inclusive ceremonies.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Australia Day.....the day that gives pissed up bogans the opportunity to be racist, violent a#$*holes.

Change the date, have an "international day" type celebration where all Australians, old and new, can share their cultural heritage in peaceful and inclusive ceremonies.
But this was the direction the Day took in the nineties. I recall attending a multi cultural gathering of dance and music, from a wise assortment of countries during the day and fireworks at night. The young Bogan element did seem to be over represented for a time but have diminished considerably. I'm speaking about the Perth City Fireworks, thankfully few clad in flags like days of old with that ridiculous, in my eyes Aussie chant.

These days the people with Aussie flags stuck on their faces or other related attire, could just as likely be a Japanese language student, an Italian back packer or a former Sudanese refuge, and everything else in between.

Taking out the crass nationalism and making it more on par with St Patricks Day, where the world is welcome to join, the obviously best route to take.

Do we really need to change the date to achieve this? Would another nominated date stop the die hard racist Bogan?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not I've been here long enough to remember when Australia day wasn't a big deal. Just a public holiday, that seemed to change on the bicentennial 1988 one. I just think there is too much hypocrisy around the thing. For instance, it used to be known as ANA day.... Australian Natives Association day.... where only Australian born were supposed to celebrate it. It certainly wasn't all inclusive then.

I think it's gone. I live in the capital of "Invasion Day" territory, with Moreland Council et al. bit hard to be ambivalent about it around here.

Methinks there are going to be huge issues in Melbourne today around Parliament.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't get the hoopla about the day. What exactly should we be celebrating? In 12 years I've not seen anything other than people getting citizenship, random people getting Australian of the year awards and people in back gardens/beaches/park having a barbie whilst some are getting drunk and disrespecting the national flag.

What is the official point of the day?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
But this was the direction the Day took in the nineties. I recall attending a multi cultural gathering of dance and music, from a wise assortment of countries during the day and fireworks at night. The young Bogan element did seem to be over represented for a time but have diminished considerably. I'm speaking about the Perth City Fireworks, thankfully few clad in flags like days of old with that ridiculous, in my eyes Aussie chant.

These days the people with Aussie flags stuck on their faces or other related attire, could just as likely be a Japanese language student, an Italian back packer or a former Sudanese refuge, and everything else in between.

Taking out the crass nationalism and making it more on par with St Patricks Day, where the world is welcome to join, the obviously best route to take.

Do we really need to change the date to achieve this? Would another nominated date stop the die hard racist Bogan?
I remember the first Australia Day Fireworks in Perth and went every year til I moved to Qld in 1997. It was a fantastic night. Couldn't believe 2008 when I returned to Perth just what it had become. It was like 9am and I was driving to my sister's in Como with all my kids in the car and already at that time, there were car loads of bogans making obscene gestures to my kids as they drove by. My kids were 4, 6 and 9....I couldn't believe how farcical it had all become.

A change of date probably wouldn't change that, but a change of days and the types of celebrations occurring on the day might bring some perspective. In Brisbane the annual fireworks is September and is not associated with any particular celebratory date. It's a very pleasant day with no trouble.

When I lived in Dubai, on international day (even though a public holiday) we would go to our childrens schools and parents and kids dressed in their home country national dress, set up stalls showcasing food, books, traditions etc. We all played music from all over the world and dances and laughed. The only uncomfortable moments were watching non Australians looking for a way to politely dispose of the bite of vegemite sandwich in their mouth.

I don't know what the solution is for keeping everyone happy with regard to Australia Day, but unfortunately something has to change.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I don't know what the solution is for keeping everyone happy with regard to Australia Day, but unfortunately something has to change.
Just go back to having the day without it being a public holiday.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just go back to having the day without it being a public holiday.
Good idea.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Why not make it the day after the Queen's Birthday holiday?
Attached Thumbnails Move on to Change Australia Day-img_0456.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.