British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Move to Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/move-brisbane-932853/)

Blackett May 25th 2020 10:39 am

Move to Brisbane

Hi,
Myself and my partner are planning to hopefully make the move to Brisbane. We currently going through the skills assessment process as my partner is a secondary school teacher. I have just qualified as a teaching assistant.

We have family who already live in Brisbane and have visited a few times so we are familiar with what a family lifestyle would like.

We have 2 children and they love being outdoors, which is is limited in the UK due to the unpredictable weather.

I'm really looking to see how other Brits have found the change in lifestyle, was it easy to make new social groups?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks 🙂🙂

carcajou May 25th 2020 10:53 am

Re: Move to Brisbane

"Lifestyle" is usually a red flag.

You will be working as hard, if not harder, in Brisbane than in the UK.

If your kids are not "outdoorsy" enough in the UK, they won't be in Queensland either. It's probably not just the weather.

Getting a high school teaching job in one of the capital cities is difficult. Your partner is unlikely to find a job quickly and will have to do relief for a while first, which may be scant. Remember that he/she is not just competing against other teachers in Brisbane who don't have work, but also against every other teacher in regional Queensland who wants a transfer to the city, and all the new graduate teachers getting pumped out by the universities . . . and they all have an advantage of local training, local experience and local networks. If your partner is good, something will pop open eventually, it's a question of if you can hold out long enough for that to happen. If they are mediocre, something may never pop open.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket but I think you need to temper your expectations somewhat. You will still have to go to work and the kids will still have to go to school. You won't suddenly have a lot more leisure time in Brisbane than you had in the UK (in fact, probably less). You won't be knocking off early at 3:30 each day for a round of volleyball with the kids before dinner.

What is it that you do, and what are your plans to find work in Brisbane? Ultimately this needs to be treated as a financial decision and a business deal. "Lifestyle" does not mean anything without the money to back it up and make it feasible.

Moses2013 May 25th 2020 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Blackett (Post 12857560)
Hi,
Myself and my partner are planning to hopefully make the move to Brisbane. We currently going through the skills assessment process as my partner is a secondary school teacher. I have just qualified as a teaching assistant.

We have family who already live in Brisbane and have visited a few times so we are familiar with what a family lifestyle would like.

We have 2 children and they love being outdoors, which is is limited in the UK due to the unpredictable weather.

I'm really looking to see how other Brits have found the change in lifestyle, was it easy to make new social groups?

Thanks 🙂🙂

Can only agree with carcajou "If your kids are not "outdoorsy" enough in the UK, they won't be in Queensland either. It's probably not just the weather."
One thing to note is that you'll never have the long summer evenings like you have in some parts of the UK, so actually less daylight after work and most kids wont be playing football before school.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...eable/11227404
Also another thing to consider in the future:
Dr Chapman completed the study as part of her PhD at the University of Queensland, and said she was "alarmed by the findings".

"Unless we make some big changes, it means the climate in Brisbane is going to become harder to live and work in," she said.

"It's not just at-risk groups, such as the elderly and the very young that will be affected.

"These results show that even healthy adults will need to avoid outdoor activity throughout most of the summer."

Blackett May 25th 2020 11:25 am

Thanks for reply,

I think we are realistic in our expectations for a move to Australia, maybe my original post was not clear enough. I know if we were to move out that a 'home and away' lifestyle wouldn't be waiting for us.

Our children are still outdoorsy even if we have bad weather over in the UK.

I appreciate your advice. I know it will challenging in terms of finding and securing a job.

These are things that we are factoring into our decision.

Thanks again 🙂

Beoz May 26th 2020 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Blackett (Post 12857585)
Thanks for reply,

I think we are realistic in our expectations for a move to Australia, maybe my original post was not clear enough. I know if we were to move out that a 'home and away' lifestyle wouldn't be waiting for us.

Our children are still outdoorsy even if we have bad weather over in the UK.

I appreciate your advice. I know it will challenging in terms of finding and securing a job.

These are things that we are factoring into our decision.

Thanks again 🙂

It certainly won't be a "Home and Away" lifestyle in Brisbane. Home and Away is set on a beach in the far northern beaches of Sydney. Brisbane doesn't have beaches.

rammygirl May 26th 2020 1:05 am

The OP has family in Brisbane and has visited so I think they have a realistic view, certainly better than many migrants who have never set foot in Australia. Having family here will be a big help settling in.

Attitude is important, keep an open mind and accept that some things will be better and some not so good. Kick starting your career again may take a while. Not sure what it is like in Brisbane but in Adelaide all new teaching graduates have to work rural for first post before getting a chance to apply metro, often for 3 years or more. Experienced migrants usually have to do supply and short contracts if they want metro before networking and references get them a permanent position. If your family know some teachers that may help.

Howzat May 26th 2020 6:25 am

Seems to be a lot of negativity around, most brits i know absolutely love it here & would never go back, if you did well in the UK you will probably do well here too. A few complain about the heat but most people are quite happy with the climate.
Lifes a short adventure dont regret what you did, only regret what you didnt do.

Moses2013 May 26th 2020 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Howzat (Post 12857919)
Seems to be a lot of negativity around, most brits i know absolutely love it here & would never go back, if you did well in the UK you will probably do well here too. A few complain about the heat but most people are quite happy with the climate.
Lifes a short adventure dont regret what you did, only regret what you didnt do.

Doubt it's negativity and you can only say this if it suited you Lifes a short adventure dont regret what you did, only regret what you didnt do
To me it sounds like you moved to Australia many years ago, have a healthy pension and might be 50/60? The reality is that every life/period is different and you have to look at each individual case.
I also know people who regret buying property at the wrong time and now can't afford the mortgage. I also know Germans who did well in Germany and moved to Mallorca, but didn't do that well over there. Other Germans would never go back to Germany and love Mallorca. I know Irish who didn't like Australia and returned and others want to leave again. A lot has to do with timing and never assume that person A will have the exact same life as person B;). If a couple spent 20 years in the countryside enjoying the silence and suddenly a motorway is being built right next to their home, the situation for them will be very different. The other couple might say that they finally have a motorway.

Pollyana May 26th 2020 9:29 am

However many of us are equally not happy here and would return home in a heartbeat. Climate, lifestyle, family, friends, attitude, numerous reasons why we are stuck here and why we would prefer to be elsewhere.

Its not negativity, its just realism.

Amazulu May 26th 2020 9:49 am

Seems to be a lot of negativity around

That's a lot of this forum described right there

Moses2013 May 26th 2020 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12857965)
That's a lot of this forum described right there

Be careful with your signature, otherwise it might also be seen as negative ;)
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket

I remember a bloke who was a chain smoker and the doctor advised him to maybe smoke less. He couldn't believe the negativity :thumbdown:

Amazulu May 26th 2020 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Blackett (Post 12857560)
Hi,

Thanks 🙂🙂

The lifestyle is great in Australia but is whatever you make it really

I probably work harder here but that's through choice. My industry used to have a 45hr week both here and in the UK, but a few years ago here due to HS&E and the industry filling up with pussies wanting some 'work/life' balance bullshit, went to a pathetic 40hrs. Ridiculous I know but there it is. I'm hourly paid, so the more hours the better (I'd do 50hrs+ if I could as I like money). In the UK they're more switched on in this area and, thankfully, it's still 45hrs+ so the boys are still making decent candy. I do other work too but that's my choice

We've got a mixed outdoor/indoor lifestyle. Love to do stuff outdoors but it can get too hot at times so indoors it is. Again, it's whatever you make of it

Get your ass over here, it's a great place to live

Good luck

Amazulu May 26th 2020 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12857994)
Be careful with your signature, otherwise it might also be seen as negative ;)
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket

Nope, that's neutral

I don't have signatures displayed on BE as I'm not interested in them and forgot that's still mine. I've had that, I think, since 2004. Maybe time for a change!

Howzat May 27th 2020 6:47 am

Seems like having a positive opinion of what life is like here has stirred a few people into smart arse replies, really if you are unhappy or struggling why dont you admit its not for you but instead of poo pooing the place to geniune people looking for advice, try somewhere else or return. The fact is the majority have thrived here & don't have too many regrets apartfrom distance from family, Bear in mind forums tend to be written on by people with strong opinions either way, most people who are quite content dont bother replying to these but would be happy to give a balanced view if asked.
Dont bother with any negative replies to this as like most i really dont care about individual sob stories or some irrelevant germans in Majorca.
G'day

Beoz May 27th 2020 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Howzat (Post 12858385)
Seems like having a positive opinion of what life is like here has stirred a few people into smart arse replies, really if you are unhappy or struggling why dont you admit its not for you but instead of poo pooing the place to geniune people looking for advice, try somewhere else or return. The fact is the majority have thrived here & don't have too many regrets apartfrom distance from family, Bear in mind forums tend to be written on by people with strong opinions either way, most people who are quite content dont bother replying to these but would be happy to give a balanced view if asked.
Dont bother with any negative replies to this as like most i really dont care about individual sob stories or some irrelevant germans in Majorca.
G'day

Sorry, I can't resist one with Brisbane in the title. Australia is a great place to live. The more and more I live here and with the yearly visits back to the UK, the less desire I have to return. Probably an age thing, kids, a slight leaning towards and easier life. However there are aspects I miss. Always will be. Same would be if I lived in the UK