Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to Brisbane

Move to Brisbane

Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Brisbane

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
You mean, only every boomer thinks their shack is worth that and more to live on the Central Coast drug den.
I can forgive a hell of a lot if its priced right - Australia ain't! The whole east coast is a massive dump, and it shits me that it is as expensive as it is.
I agree. The' dullness' that can be a factor in Australia, could indeed be overlooked if housing had maintained its once very fair value.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I must admit, I feel a little nervous when walking the streets of Perth CBD at night. There seems to be an element of riff raff you don't seem to get in other cities in Australia. The Hay St, William Street zone seemed to be particularly bad back in March.
Perth City during the 'lock down' became far too noticeable a 'run down' non descript CBD. Besides more of the 'thin blue line' than usual, the numbers of homeless (not meaning to reflect blame here, just an observation) but more to the point the number of meth heads, staggering. They appear to be everywhere in WA. Smaller towns, decent burbs. Everywhere. I could go on about that, but not the subject.

Perth really needs stop resting on its laurels. Too Bogan on one side and too pretentious on another. It can be hard for incomers to break in if not part of the net work.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
OK. I suppose the Central Coast would hold a price tag, being close in local terms to the nation's main city Sydney. But even in WA, coastal towns with houses close to beach are hardly 'cheap'. By close I refer to walking distance and have been looking
at the market 'Down South' over past few years but prices don't appear to have 'corrected' to the point I would claim value for money. I know there are such places in areas like Mandurah but I wouldn't touch with a barge poll. Same
way 'Opp North', outer Perth suburbs, best left for British incomers who seem to find some sort of value there.

It is not that I cannot afford a house in these areas, far from it. Just not so stupid as to overpay to pay someone's retirement, or a hefty undeserved 'bonus' to a real estate agent or a developer. Especially knowing what I could purchase for far less money ,
in certain European jurisdictions. Although at this stage probably be more inclined to rent and spend my money living 'the good life', than tied up in unproductive bricks and mortar.
There is no harm in renting. I am a big fan of it, I just don't do it right now. There are many benefits to renting. They say that rent is dead money, so is bank interest.

However by renting you are paying for someone's retirement. Either way it's someone's retirement. It's just you might be waiting for that eviction notice during yours.

Some areas of the central coast do command a price tag. Some on the other hand do not. No different to any other place in the world. You pay for what you get.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Perth City during the 'lock down' became far too noticeable a 'run down' non descript CBD. Besides more of the 'thin blue line' than usual, the numbers of homeless (not meaning to reflect blame here, just an observation) but more to the point the number of meth heads, staggering. They appear to be everywhere in WA. Smaller towns, decent burbs. Everywhere. I could go on about that, but not the subject.

Perth really needs stop resting on its laurels. Too Bogan on one side and too pretentious on another. It can be hard for incomers to break in if not part of the net work.
Yep. I am sure meth wasn't too far from the scene. There were also a lot of indeginous people that weren't too happy with life, again not something you see so much of in the other big smokes.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is no harm in renting. I am a big fan of it, I just don't do it right now. There are many benefits to renting. They say that rent is dead money, so is bank interest.

However by renting you are paying for someone's retirement. Either way it's someone's retirement. It's just you might be waiting for that eviction notice during yours.

Some areas of the central coast do command a price tag. Some on the other hand do not. No different to any other place in the world. You pay for what you get.
Nothing at all wrong with renting. In fact I'm a great believer in , if previously an owner, making handsome undeserved gains, to cash in and spend your winnings on actually living.
Renting will liberate a very tidy some, to enable one real freedom to partake in what ever one wants. Renting, as my accountant does, in that situation makes perfect sense.

Well not necessary pay for what you get if the market is inflated and government intervention to maintain prices, ensures for now a manipulated market.

Old Jun 1st 2020, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nothing at all wrong with renting. In fact I'm a great believer in , if previously an owner, making handsome undeserved gains, to cash in and spend your winnings on actually living.
Renting will liberate a very tidy some, to enable one real freedom to partake in what ever one wants. Renting, as my accountant does, in that situation makes perfect sense.

Well not necessary pay for what you get if the market is inflated and government intervention to maintain prices, ensures for now a manipulated market.
I am also a great believer in having enough disposable cash flow to do whatever one wants. Renting may be one way to do this - to be able to live in the location and dwelling you choose, but plenty of mortgage payers also do this. Most people I know, friends colleagues, neighbours, pay those over the top Sydney mortgages and do whatever they want. Who would have thought that Sydney wasn't such a city, where people aren't actually chained to the mortgage for 30 years.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am also a great believer in having enough disposable cash flow to do whatever one wants. Renting may be one way to do this - to be able to live in the location and dwelling you choose, but plenty of mortgage payers also do this. Most people I know, friends colleagues, neighbours, pay those over the top Sydney mortgages and do whatever they want. Who would have thought that Sydney wasn't such a city, where people aren't actually chained to the mortgage for 30 years.
That would be due to the odd held belief that house prices don't fall. I suspect there was considerable concern over recent times when house prices stalled then went southwards, dispelling something akin to a heavenly belief that the only way is up. Of course if the market was allowed without 'interference' brought on by the property lobby to artificially stimulate prices, things would look very different. While I would consider Sydney prices holding up better than most cities, the loss of immigration, not forgetting the 'student' market,if present policy is maintained will flow onto influence the market . Just depends on interventionist strategies to what extent.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would be due to the odd held belief that house prices don't fall. I suspect there was considerable concern over recent times when house prices stalled then went southwards, dispelling something akin to a heavenly belief that the only way is up. Of course if the market was allowed without 'interference' brought on by the property lobby to artificially stimulate prices, things would look very different. While I would consider Sydney prices holding up better than most cities, the loss of immigration, not forgetting the 'student' market,if present policy is maintained will flow onto influence the market . Just depends on interventionist strategies to what extent.
Its holding up at the moment because listing are tight. Simple supply and demand. Don't forget that one.

Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its holding up at the moment because listing are tight. Simple supply and demand. Don't forget that one.
I suspect listings are fewer owing to the virus. Yes it is supply and demand, however induced. But with immigration, as I understand it, to be almost non existent, throw in a big decline in foreign student numbers, then fail to see prices holding up
Although I consider a readjustment no bad thing. .
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suspect listings are fewer owing to the virus. Yes it is supply and demand, however induced. But with immigration, as I understand it, to be almost non existent, throw in a big decline in foreign student numbers, then fail to see prices holding up
Although I consider a readjustment no bad thing. .
Short term immigration restrictions tend to harm the rental market. Overseas students nearly always rent, long term immigrants nearly always rent for the first few years too. Coupled with people asking for rental reductions, I hear the rental market has taken a beating.

As for sales, the inner 15km of Sydney prices have remained steady due to limited stock, low interest rates, banks allowing mortgage payers to defer and very generous job seeker/keeper benefits.

Not sure about other areas in Australia

September should be interesting.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I love it here.

But preparation is the key - and treating it like a business deal. "Lifestyle" doesn't mean anything without the cash to access it - and "so the kids will be more outdoorsy" etc is a fairly shallow stereotype of what life here is like . . . and just because teacher is on the "shortage" list doesn't mean there is any actual shortage. Just an imbalance between rural and urban as rammygirl pointed out.

Migrating halfway around the world is going to be the most challenging thing many people ever do, rellies in Brisbane or not, and I don't think it's a service to posters, to sugarcoat that.
Our kids are outdoorsy, they play xbox with the door open