Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to Brisbane

Move to Brisbane

Old May 29th 2020, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Move to Brisbane

I moved to Brissy in 2000 and never regretted it. Best decision I've ever made. I suspect the biggest downside is family (I don't have any close family in UK so not a problem for me) which draws people back to their roots but as OP has family in Oz not such a problem.

Never been back to UK since I left in 1990 and don't intend to. The weather here lets you do things that would be impossible in the UK and even though salaries are lower here so is the cost of living, IMHO, and so it balances out. My skills enabled me to engage in contract work and so I took short term contracts 9 months and then took off for 3 months exploring Oz.

I live a very comfortable life here but even if I wanted to go back I suspect my quality of life would drop due to more expensive cost of living in UK. My house here is worth about 275,000 pounds and I very much doubt I could get anything comparable in the UK for the price in a nice location.

The biggest downside for me in the UK is def the weather and the crowds and I'm sure that since I left 30 years ago it's not changed, except to get worse. Here the weather is generally as good in winter as your typical English summer and autumn and spring are as close to perfect as you could get (in Brissy anyway).
Old May 29th 2020, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
nothing much laid back about most Australian work places, where some of the longest hours anywhere are worked and job security far from secure in many instances. Lots of 'who you know', rather than best qualified for position and quite a lot of bullying within the work place.
A lot of the ever growing 'mental health' toll being a result of work stress related issues.
This is common in all countries. Chalk it up to you or the business you are working for and move on.

Interestingly working for a multi-national I find this is most rife in countries such as India and Singapore.
Old May 29th 2020, 6:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How about you discuss the topic, rather than resorting to personal abuse?
^^^^This.

Howzat, please have another read of the site rules, particularly rule 1.

Ta muchly.
Old May 29th 2020, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howzat
What a presumptuous tool you are, like most morons you are the one who is making enormous assumptions, you base an idiotic opinion on one post rather than facts, this shows clearly a lack of ability to appreciate opinions of anyone with a different school of thought. I still consider UK home, always will. Australia is good if you do your homework & plan accordingly, I have friends who emigrated & couldn't settle either due to finances or personal reasons & its a massive decision for most people, if it doesn't work out- to blame the country is lunacy, we all make choices in life.
An observation that a lot of negativity is posted still stands, its a fact. If someone stating that triggers you then you really need to improve your life.
on that note i will bid farewell & I'll either be banned or ignore anything further.
Nice wording thank you. To be honest I also don't care anymore and I've seen it many times. For you 10.000 might be nothing and for other people it's their life savings. Goddbye.
Old May 29th 2020, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
This is common in all countries. Chalk it up to you or the business you are working for and move on.

Interestingly working for a multi-national I find this is most rife in countries such as India and Singapore.
Well while widespread in the Anglo Saxon world is not common 'in all countries' as you claim. As for Singapore and India, both are examples of deregulated or never existing work places, where exploitation can be rife.
Not the subject under discussion though. Australia has more than enough exploitation of temporarily visa holders of its own to be getting on.
Old May 29th 2020, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howzat
What a presumptuous tool you are, like most morons you are the one who is making enormous assumptions, you base an idiotic opinion on one post rather than facts, this shows clearly a lack of ability to appreciate opinions of anyone with a different school of thought. I still consider UK home, always will. Australia is good if you do your homework & plan accordingly, I have friends who emigrated & couldn't settle either due to finances or personal reasons & its a massive decision for most people, if it doesn't work out- to blame the country is lunacy, we all make choices in life.
An observation that a lot of negativity is posted still stands, its a fact. If someone stating that triggers you then you really need to improve your life.
on that note i will bid farewell & I'll either be banned or ignore anything further.
What the saying with best laid plans? I'm afraid more than planning is required. Some outcomes are beyond planning. Luck is just as much a requirement not just in locating a job, but to being able to survive and function according to skill set in it.
Certain positions more in the professional line, would more likely for many, be suited going to America. Although I find London, very accepting of international experience, far more than Australia, which is very parochial in ways possibly not imaginable,
until exposed to it, with being 'local' or at least having the right contacts proves invulnerable.
This may be different in trade positions of course, have examples of this being so, but in the professions somewhat hit and miss.
Old May 29th 2020, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Nice wording thank you. To be honest I also don't care anymore and I've seen it many times. For you 10.000 might be nothing and for other people it's their life savings. Goddbye.
I'd say for a good half of the Australian population of have little in savings, but among the world's largest personal debts. I was amazed to learn just how many didn't have the savings to last more than a fortnight without any paid income.
$10,000 would certainly be a considerable sum for many.
Old May 29th 2020, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well while widespread in the Anglo Saxon world is not common 'in all countries' as you claim. As for Singapore and India, both are examples of deregulated or never existing work places, where exploitation can be rife.
Not the subject under discussion though. Australia has more than enough exploitation of temporarily visa holders of its own to be getting on.
Again no different to other countries. It wasn't too long ago the Polish were heavily exploited in the UK.
Old May 29th 2020, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As mentioned, if you want outdoor living for kids one has to consider that it's a huge city and with kids it gets dark very early. Some I know moved to Melbourne because of this and it's just a warning.
Well, we'll just have to disagree over how to view that consideration.

I've since moved to Melbourne myself, but it certainly wasn't because of 'early darkness' in Brisbane. Indeed, my single worst regret over the move is the loss of everyday exposure to Brisbane's climate and generally superior outdoor recreation opportunities. My children have lost their love for the beach, and swimming generally, because the ocean is colder here in Victoria, and the swimming season much shorter--and that's a huge loss, in terms of a family activity we all once cherished.

There were obviously other reasons to make the move, and those have largely panned out.

But nobody moves from Brisbane to Melbourne to experience a better climate...
Old May 29th 2020, 2:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner

I've since moved to Melbourne myself, but it certainly wasn't because of 'early darkness' in Brisbane. Indeed, my single worst regret over the move is the loss of everyday exposure to Brisbane's climate and generally superior outdoor recreation opportunities. My children have lost their love for the beach, and swimming generally, because the ocean is colder here in Victoria, and the swimming season much shorter--and that's a huge loss, in terms of a family activity we all once cherished.

There were obviously other reasons to make the move, and those have largely panned out.

I would actually

Why not get your children to use pools instead swimming doesn't have to centre around the sea (as I'm sure you know!)
Old May 29th 2020, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why not get your children to use pools instead swimming doesn't have to centre around the sea (as I'm sure you know!)
Been there, done that. Our first Melbourne residence was 8 minutes away from a you-beaut local-council swimming complex, complete with wave-pool. That held the kids' attention for maybe 4 months; they haven't wanted to go back since.

Even a wave-pool is in the end a predictable, artificial environment, that lacks shells, and rockpools, and interesting creatures wandering around. When I quizzed the kids on why they were losing interest, I initially failed to fully appreciate how important the non-swimming activities were, to a child, on the beach. And now that I 'get it', I miss it too.

Last edited by abner; May 29th 2020 at 3:10 pm.
Old May 29th 2020, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it wasn't because of climate but more the lack of daylight after work, as they had normal office hours. Technically you could buy wetsuits and would save on sunscreen if water is too cold in Melbourne. At the end of the day kids are kids and will still swim if it's a hobby. If Brisbane is your preferred location why not move back?. For you it's no problem and possible without a visa.
Old May 29th 2020, 5:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done that. Our first Melbourne residence was 8 minutes away from a you-beaut local-council swimming complex, complete with wave-pool. That held the kids' attention for maybe 4 months; they haven't wanted to go back since.

Even a wave-pool is in the end a predictable, artificial environment, that lacks shells, and rockpools, and interesting creatures wandering around. When I quizzed the kids on why they were losing interest, I initially failed to fully appreciate how important the non-swimming activities were, to a child, on the beach. And now that I 'get it', I miss it too.
Fair enough.
Must admit I would love the chance to go swimming. I have no transport to the coast, and can't use public pools here cos of my eczema (it upsets the locals to see skin that is less than perfect) so the removal of my trips home hits even harder as the only place I can swim now is Centre Parcs.
Old May 29th 2020, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Really? Brisbane for the most part is humid and muggy with a little bit of a break in winter. If this is your thing so be it. Melbourne doesn't get the humidity Brisbane gets. Melbourne also has a decent variety of seasons and the winter is warm enough, and short enough to enjoy it.

As for the beach in Brisbane, where is this?
Old May 30th 2020, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Again no different to other countries. It wasn't too long ago the Polish were heavily exploited in the UK.
UK, last time I looked was an Anglo Saxon country. But exploitation knows few bounds. it goes on everywhere that permits it which is most places where exploiters can make a buck.
What I was referring to was of course the flawed economic policies of the Anglo Saxon countries, in particular, but not solely, that has witnessed growing divisions within their societies,
while declining services as a result of such policies.

Polish being exploited in UK in the eighties, at least were able to use their Pounds to maximum benefit in their home country in those days. I knew many, with most returning after a
period of time. It should be remembered Poles were not officially allowed to work in UK in this period, but were tolerated in general, due to historical connections from WW2.
Later when Poland became a EU member the exploitation moved to other nationalities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.