Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

move to australia from uk newbie any help!

move to australia from uk newbie any help!

Old Nov 13th 2015, 11:51 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: move to australia from uk newbie any help!

Originally Posted by michellekelly
Y is it irrelevant wanting to know the cost of living in aus wen i live in the uk and before i make a move across the world im trying to find out answers like everyone else who has moved here!!
Y are my chances slim for what reasons millions of brits travel here every year!
PMs aren't meant to be used to send nasty little messages. It makes you look bad and they aren't really the way to invite constructive answers to your questions.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 11:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Y is it irrelevant wanting to know the cost of living in aus wen i live in the uk and before i make a move across the world im trying to find out answers like everyone else who has moved here!!
Y are my chances slim for what reasons millions of brits travel here every year!
If you are unable to get a visa it is irrelevant.

'Millions' do not travel to Australia every year and most of those who do do not migrate there.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 11:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Your chances are slim because of the skills that you hold - they are not as "in demand" as some others, which is why you require sponsorship. Many people from all over the world, not just Britain, gain skills visas (and other types) for Australia each year, but not everyone meets the requirements and not everyone is able to gain a visa on which to move here.

For many people holidays here are all they will ever qualify for.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

michellekelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Prison Officer job Australia - If your profession is Prison Officer in accordance with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) 4421-11 then you are currently in demand by employers in Australia.

maybe if mine didnt work my partners will iv contacted an agent recommended on here so see what he says
Old Nov 13th 2015, 12:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Im not so hypersensitive i just dont see the point in you commenting silly jokes if its nothing to help.
Chill
Old Nov 13th 2015, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

toesaresandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Michelle,

I think everyone here is wishing you well and willing to help but the helpfulness of the replies tend to have a direct correlation to the effort and research put in by the OP.

So asking "where to live in Australia" and "how much for a rental" without narrowing it down to a state/city or stating what your budget is will undoubtedly attract unhelpful replies.

It's like someone saying where should I live in America and how much will it cost me? Well if you live in Manhattan, NYC it will cost you quite alot. If you live in the desert in Nevada it will cost you less. As much as the answer doesn't help, neither does the question.

The first thing you should do is look at the Australian government immigration website. Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Read about the visa's and eliminate any that are not applicable to you.

Then look at the visa's that are applicable to you, if any. I like to think there is a visa for almost everyone but it will depend on your circumstances. Learn about Skillselect, skills assessments and assessing authorities, the points system, SOL and CSOL, state sponsorship and any other requirements or elements that may help you to get the points you need. It's not rocket science, it just takes a day or so of your time to get an idea of what is required.

From this research you can then ask more informed and specific questions which people here may be able to help you on. If you can't be bothered to research or don't have the time then you are best to ask a registered migration agent.

Toes.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Prison Officer job Australia - If your profession is Prison Officer in accordance with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) 4421-11 then you are currently in demand by employers in Australia.

maybe if mine didnt work my partners will iv contacted an agent recommended on here so see what he says
Yes, you could go on a partner visa if your partner can satisfy the visa requirements and you satisfy the requirements of being a partner.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toesaresandy
Yes, you could go on a partner visa if your partner can satisfy the visa requirements and you satisfy the requirements of being a partner.
She can only emigrate on a partner visa if her partner is already a permanent resident or citizen.

If her partner applies to emigrate on a skills visa she would go on that same visa, as a dependent. Very different scenario.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:04 pm
Home and Happy

Michelle,

I think everyone here is wishing you well and willing to help but the helpfulness of the replies tend to have a direct correlation to the effort and research put in by the OP.

So asking "where to live in Australia" and "how much for a rental" without narrowing it down to a state/city or stating what your budget is will undoubtedly attract unhelpful replies.

It's like someone saying where should I live in America and how much will it cost me? Well if you live in Manhattan, NYC it will cost you quite alot. If you live in the desert in Nevada it will cost you less. As much as the answer doesn't help, neither does the question.

The first thing you should do is look at the Australian government immigration website. Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Read about the visa's and eliminate any that are not applicable to you.

Then look at the visa's that are applicable to you, if any. I like to think there is a visa for almost everyone but it will depend on your circumstances. Learn about Skillselect, skills assessments and assessing authorities, the points system, SOL and CSOL, state sponsorship and any other requirements or elements that may help you to get the points you need. It's not rocket science, it just takes a day or so of your time to get an idea of what is required.

From this research you can then ask more informed and specific questions which people here may be able to help you on. If you can't be bothered to research or don't have the time then you are best to ask a registered migration agent.

Toes.
If you read our replies, we've already identified visas for her. Because of the fact her skill is only on the CSOL she has to look at a 457, or sponsorship by the Northern territory.

All this info is directly from the DIBP website
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
She can only emigrate on a partner visa if her partner is already a permanent resident or citizen.

If her partner applies to emigrate on a skills visa she would go on that same visa, as a dependent. Very different scenario.
Yes, I meant to say she could go her partner's visa (as a dependent) rather than go on a partner visa.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:31 pm
Home and Happy

Yes, I meant to say she could go her partner's visa (as a dependent) rather than go on a partner visa.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you read our replies, we've already identified visas for her. Because of the fact her skill is only on the CSOL she has to look at a 457, or sponsorship by the Northern territory.

All this info is directly from the DIBP website
I've read all of the replies. Assuming you have read mine you should be able to read between the lines and know that I am not referring to the 457 information already provided but comments like these:

"Have they started showing 'Wanted down under' again?"

that create comments like these:

"I'm not so hypersensitive i just dont see the point in you commenting silly jokes if its nothing to help. "

"Chances you'll ever live in Aus are slim to non-existant."

A PM

"PMs aren't meant to be used to send nasty little messages"

"Chill"

Last edited by toesaresandy; Nov 13th 2015 at 3:44 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have also spoken to visamigrate.com they have said i would have to to show 5 yrs manager experience with a reference and take a test, if i scored enough i could go anywere in aus if not only northern.I am not just a beauty therapist i can do alot of jobs with this qual,Massage therapistSalon managerVocational teacher They also said i would need to apply for a 457 permanent visa costing family around 2400 they never mentioned sponsored visa Count me if this us all wrong info
First, these are NOT registered migration agents - the MARA number on their web site is for an agent in Sydney, but there office is in the UK.
Never touch an "agent" that is not MARA. I, again, suggest Go Matilda.
Second, there advice that you can go anywhere in Oz with your skills seems incorrect - not surprised given they are not actual agents.
Business sponsored visas such as a 457 are not permanent visas and need to be considered very carefully as they have a number of drawback.
Firstly, several states charge 457 holders fees (in the thousands) for children's education.
If you were to lose your job, then you would have 90 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor or leave the country. Note, not all companies can sponsor.
The partners of 457 holders can find it difficult to find work, as they are only temporary. He would not be allowed to apply for work as a prison officer as that requires permanent residency.
You would need to assume that you would be returning to the UK at the end of the visa.
With an occupation on the CSOL, you may qualify for a 190 visa with state sponsorship. However, you would need to be aware that some states - particularly the Northern Territory (NT) routinely refuse 190 and offer a 489 instead as this ties people to the state.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I will touch on a couple of your other questions.
First, as mentioned I am a geologist working in the mining industry. I live in Mandurah which is a regional city south of Perth and fly to work at a small town called Norseman for two weeks at a time, then fly home for a weeks break. If you look at a map of Australia, Norseman appears very close to Perth. Yet, it is about the same distance as Aberdeen to London. So, the country is huge. In Norseman, you can buy a 3 bedroom house on a 1000 meter block for $40k. In the nearest city - Perth, you would pay 10 times that and on a tiny block of land. That is how variable it is just between two fairly close places. So, it is impossible to tell you how much you will pay for things across the entire continent. Have a look at the map below and think about how prices might vary across Europe.
Second, jobs. Jobs in some areas are harder to find than others. Perth, for example is suffering a major downturn due to the mining downturn. As a result, there are many applicants for things like the prison service. I applied for the WA prison service over a year ago. I passed all the test and was accepted into the pool - here you don't just pass and get offered a job, you go into a group (pool) of people that they can during a year offer a contract to. However, they have not offered a contract to anyone this year and after Christmas, if I want to be considered for jobs in 2016, I need to reapply and undergo all of the tests again in order to get into the 2016 pool. So, there is no guarantee he will get a prison job. If he doesn't, then what else is he qualified to do?
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.