Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

move to australia from uk newbie any help!

move to australia from uk newbie any help!

Old Nov 12th 2015, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

michellekelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default move to australia from uk newbie any help!

hi new to this forum

best place for family of 5 to live in australia, somewere close to beach, close schools, central to get a job?

also how much we looking for rental for 3-4 bed with a pool

and what house bills will we have and how much roughly monthly costs or weekly?

any help plz
michelle
Old Nov 12th 2015, 6:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: move to australia from uk newbie any help!

Originally Posted by michellekelly
hi new to this forum

best place for family of 5 to live in australia, somewere close to beach, close schools, central to get a job?

also how much we looking for rental for 3-4 bed with a pool

and what house bills will we have and how much roughly monthly costs or weekly?

any help plz
michelle
Have you got visas yet? What job(s) are you likely to be doing?

Do you have any idea how huge and diverse Australia is? We need to know more about what you are likely to be working at when you get here before we can even narrow it down to a state/territory, never mind a city
Old Nov 12th 2015, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for your response,

i am a beauty therapist and have a teaching qulification to teach beauty therapy

but its not on the list so any jobs really like salon manager etc

my partner is currently a prison officer in the uk no quals so hopefully he can do this job?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

not yet applied for visa but i have been on the phone and they said i will need a permanent visa or a sponsored
Old Nov 12th 2015, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Have they started showing 'Wanted down under' again?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

y do u ask this cappuccino?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing to think about, before anything else is visas. The rest is pointless until you have a visa or at least are certain you qualify.
You sound as if you have taken some advice. If so, make sure any agent you speak to is a Registered Migration Agent - there are a LOT of con merchants out there. One of the most highly regarded ones is Go Matilda.
The occupation is only on the CSOL list. This means that you would need either state or company sponsorship.
I believe the NT are offering sponsorship for Hair and Beauty Managers.
However, you can not just pick an occupation. You need to ensure you can pass the skills assessment for that occupation. This mean holding the position for a period of time and holding the relevant qualifications. This is what I could find on a quick search for you:
Description: Organises and controls the operations of a hairdressing or beauty salon. Registration or licensing may be required.Skill Level 2 : Occupations at Skill Level 2 have a level of skill commensurate with one of the following:

- NZ Register Diploma or
- AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma.

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

hi thankyou verystormy

may i ask who nt are? sorry i am very new to all this.
I have called a lawyer who a friend gave me who lives in australia and they said based on my quals and experience i could apply for a 457 or 187
they could get me 60 points?
Old Nov 13th 2015, 12:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

hi thankyou verystormy

may i ask who nt are? sorry i am very new to all this.
I have called a lawyer who a friend gave me who lives in australia and they said based on my quals and experience i could apply for a 457 or 187
they could get me 60 points?
Never mind the lawyer who a friend gave you. Go to the official place to see if you qualify for a visa...
Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

However, based on what you have said the only visas you could apply for would be state sponsored (NT is the Northern Territory) or employer sponsored. But you have to ask yourself why an employer would go to the cost and hassle of sponsoring someone when there are thousands of beauty therapists being churned out every year from every TAFE in the country.

Once you have had a good look through the DIBP site (link above) or spoken to a MARA registered migration agent come back with some questions we can actually answer. Asking "where's the best place in Australia for a family and how much will it cost" is like me asking you "where's the best place in Europe for a family and how much will it cost to live there". If the NT is the only place you can obtain a visa for, then you're going to have to look specifically at locations in the Northern Territory. My telling you that Albany WA is my favourite place and it's not expensive won't be of any use to you if your visa conditions are that you live in NT for at least the first 2 years.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Have they started showing 'Wanted down under' again?
Must have - t'was always thus! (Or repeated repeats!)

OP - do you realize that the 457 visa you have been quoted is temporary, could cost you thousands in school fees for your kids and if it all goes pear shaped gives you 90 days to leave the country. And as Dorothy said - why on earth would an employer sponsor someone from overseas when thousands of Aussies with those skills are being churned out. You will often find that if there are sponsorships available it is because no Aussie actually wants to live where those jobs are - could be thousands (I kid you not) of miles away from a beach that anyone would be able to use! So quite a way from your original shopping list of desirable places.

TBH it sounds like you would be shoving it uphill to get a visa so all else could be a waste of time and energy - check the link you've been given to see if either of you have the qualifications and experience for a visa and then approach a real agent (MARA approved). Good Luck!
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:08 am
Just Joined

I have also spoken to visamigrate.com they have said i would have to to show 5 yrs manager experience with a reference and take a test, if i scored enough i could go anywere in aus if not only northern.
I am not just a beauty therapist i can do alot of jobs with this qual,
Massage therapist
Salon manager
Vocational teacher

They also said i would need to apply for a 457 permanent visa costing family around 2400 they never mentioned sponsored visa

Count me if this us all wrong info
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Also just to clarify i only wanted to work out there 12 months first to see if i can settle, if i like it and would then continue my stay
To clarify is temporary 4 yrs stay if so thats not a problem ?
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have also spoken to visamigrate.com they have said i would have to to show 5 yrs manager experience with a reference and take a test, if i scored enough i could go anywere in aus if not only northern.
I am not just a beauty therapist i can do alot of jobs with this qual,
Massage therapist
Salon manager
Vocational teacher

They also said i would need to apply for a 457 permanent visa costing family around 2400 they never mentioned sponsored visa

Count me if this us all wrong info
457 is a temporary sponsored visa.....you can only go where someone will agree and is able to sponsor you and you are, effectively, tied to that employer.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
457 is a temporary sponsored visa.....you can only go where someone will agree and is able to sponsor you and you are, effectively, tied to that employer.
and of course, you really do have to ask whether an employer would go to all that trouble sponsoring you for a 12 month 'try it and see' where there is a big risk they would be losing you within the 12 months. Apparently the NT isn't the best area in Australia to live and work.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
and of course, you really do have to ask whether an employer would go to all that trouble sponsoring you for a 12 month 'try it and see' where there is a big risk they would be losing you within the 12 months. Apparently the NT isn't the best area in Australia to live and work.
It's not cheap either. Darwin in particular is hideously expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.