Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move after GCSE in 2 years or go sooner

Move after GCSE in 2 years or go sooner

Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future
Default Re: Move after GCSE in 2 years or go sooner

My daughter is in Year 10 at the moment, and I was going to wait until she finished Year 11, but like someone said to me (and I work in a school, clerical) if you are aiming on living out there then she would do better if she had the Oz qualifications, so she might now be going out in August, but the Head teacher at the school we are looking at sending her to, said what if she went back into Year 9 in August this year and starter her Year 10 again in Jan 2009, which seems quite reasonalbe.

At our UK school we sometimes have students repeat a year and it does them no harm. Our daughter also has a statement, and her learning support teacher thought it was a good idea.

Its very difficult to know what to do for the best, but whatever education they get, where ever they get it from its never a waste.

Andrea
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

seanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andreak
My daughter is in Year 10 at the moment, and I was going to wait until she finished Year 11, but like someone said to me (and I work in a school, clerical) if you are aiming on living out there then she would do better if she had the Oz qualifications, so she might now be going out in August, but the Head teacher at the school we are looking at sending her to, said what if she went back into Year 9 in August this year and starter her Year 10 again in Jan 2009, which seems quite reasonalbe.

At our UK school we sometimes have students repeat a year and it does them no harm. Our daughter also has a statement, and her learning support teacher thought it was a good idea.

Its very difficult to know what to do for the best, but whatever education they get, where ever they get it from its never a waste.

Andrea
Hi Andrea
Sorry so can i confirm if your daughter is in year 11 now (uk) will she be sitting her gcse's at present and then you will all go after them in august, and then she will go back into school in Oz and redo her final years there and get there equivalent?
Thank
Michelle
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seanshellluke
Hi Andrea
Sorry so can i confirm if your daughter is in year 11 now (uk) will she be sitting her gcse's at present and then you will all go after them in august, and then she will go back into school in Oz and redo her final years there and get there equivalent?
Thank
Michelle
Hi Michelle
No, at the moment she is in Year 10 so she will go back to Year 9 in September for a short while and start Year 10 again in Oz in Jan 2009. She will finish her year 10 in July 2008 in the uk, we are going to Oz in Aug and I hope for her to start her new school Sept 1st, just like she would have done in the UK, but she will be in Year 9 for 4 months.
Andrea
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

seanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andreak
Hi Michelle
No, at the moment she is in Year 10 so she will go back to Year 9 in September for a short while and start Year 10 again in Oz in Jan 2009. She will finish her year 10 in July 2008 in the uk, we are going to Oz in Aug and I hope for her to start her new school Sept 1st, just like she would have done in the UK, but she will be in Year 9 for 4 months.
Andrea
Hi Andrea
Thanks for confirmation, as we have not decided when and were we are going to go yet just that we are, can i pick your knowledge again, what years are the final years in Oz i seem to be mixed up about if its years 10 & 11 or 11 & 12
Thanks
Michelle
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We are trying to decide whether to stay in the uk for two years and allow our 14 year to do his gcse's and then go to Oz and carry on his education or whether to go before and not worry about gcse's.
Our main concern is that should he ever wish to come back in the future should he have a basic british education or will it not matter.

Different opinions and other people experiences would be welcomed
I would let him finish his education in UK. I say this because i think an English education with English qualifications are more valuable than an Aussie one.
We came to OZ when our daughter was 14. Her education went down very fast, so after 18 months we took her back to UK where she has now completed her GCSE's.
My other 2 boys wish to continue their eduacation in the UK too, so we are going back before it's too late.
Some people love the system here, very laid back and not too pushy, depends on what you prefer.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I would let him finish his education in UK. I say this because i think an English education with English qualifications are more valuable than an Aussie one.
We came to OZ when our daughter was 14. Her education went down very fast, so after 18 months we took her back to UK where she has now completed her GCSE's.
My other 2 boys wish to continue their eduacation in the UK too, so we are going back before it's too late.
Some people love the system here, very laid back and not too pushy, depends on what you prefer.
Hi
Thanks for reply, can i ask if you know if we stay until after his gcse's which is more than likely, where in the Oz education system would he join when we arrivedm he would be 16 in the May and we would arrive say in the August time. He wants to study science so we need to know after GCSE's in uk where would he go/do in Oz to carry on his education.
Many thanks
Michelle
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:53 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi
Thanks for reply, can i ask if you know if we stay until after his gcse's which is more than likely, where in the Oz education system would he join when we arrivedm he would be 16 in the May and we would arrive say in the August time. He wants to study science so we need to know after GCSE's in uk where would he go/do in Oz to carry on his education.
Many thanks
Michelle
He would go to senior school (year 11). Or he could leave and pursue a career.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Lizzie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

He would go to senior school (year 11). Or he could leave and pursue a career.
Hi Michelle

I am in the same position as you. We have a daughter who is currently in year9, we are in the process of applying for a visa, but when we do get the visa may just validate it and then go when daughter finishes year 11.

Regards Liz
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lizzie2
Hi Michelle

I am in the same position as you. We have a daughter who is currently in year9, we are in the process of applying for a visa, but when we do get the visa may just validate it and then go when daughter finishes year 11.

Regards Liz
Hi Liz
Which visa are you going for and how far into the process are. We are going for a 138 skilled sponsored as OH has a lot of family over in Oz. Hopefully we do not have too much longer to wait as we have not long had medicals done and they arrived this week there.
We are looking at validating visa later this year (if we get it) before his work for GCSE's gets indepth and then go after the exams.
Regards
Michelle
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll stick by my previous comment - Arrive by Oz year 10 or during it, the year in which he will be 15. In your case 2009. Important decisions are made in this year for what they study in years 11 & 12. I would not advocate arriving during year 11, as years 11 and 12 are like the A-Level years, although such things do not exist in Oz. They simply pass each year as they go - employers asking - to which year did you reach. School Children can leave after year 10, and then usually go a TAFE College to learn a trade. This is just an opinion, but we are very glad we arrived last year and gave our son year 10 to aclimatise - although he still had to pass year 10. Years 11 and 12 are appearing to be more difficult and thats why I liken them to A-Levels. Also, would you not run the risk of there being more ties in England - girlfriends etc, the later you leave it. Our son is not keen on ever returning to Engand, not that we are, but simply because at 16 - girls are more in his life!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

As Nu Shooz said he would go into Year 11, but its quite a hard year as thats the one before they all sit their exams in Year 12 and the really put a heap load of stuff onto them at that age.

I would say if your gonna be here in time for his GCSE's he might as well take them and then see what happens when you get over to Oz, it might be worth ringing the school you are hoping to put him into and getting their advice.

If he wants to go to Uni etc he might have to be classed as an overseas student (I would think) if he doesnt have any oz schooling qualifications, as they wont be able to access him on it, and he might even have to go back as our daughters friend did just to get some kind of formal education qualification. Dont quote me on this as I might be totally wrong

Kath
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Aren't English qualifications only more valuable if you are in England.? Australian children obviously manage to get on, get higher qualifications and get jobs after finishing school. They dont deem it necessary to come over to the UK and get qualifications and then go home again. So if your planning on emigrating and living in Austrailia permanently then it would seem that getting your children educated with Oz qualifications seems the best thing to do.

I guess I'm thinking that if you keep putting obsacles in the way, do you really want to go to Oz? After all if you did decide or have to come back to the UK, they can always go to evening college to get GCSE's. Your never too old as they say, I graduated last weekend with the Open University with a Degree in Psychology, all done while looking after a home and working as an Admin Assistant full time in Upper School, and I'm 44.

Just my thoughts though, I tough decision either way.
Andrea
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Many thanks
Michelle
Would he not go to high school and do HSC (think that's what it's called) until he is 18
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Hi

My daughter completed all her education in Australia. Then went on to TAFE and got a traineeship.

At the age of 19 she came back to the UK with us and had no problems whatsoever in gaining employment. She then went on to study at Uni, again all she had to do was do one year access course as a mature age student (at least that way she got free uni) and then went on to do her degree.

So IMO I would suggest moving sooner, letting him do the Australian HSC and then either college, Uni or employment.

Having looked into it all, if my daughter had wanted to go straight to Uni on her return to UK, she would have been classed as an overseas student and would have had hefty fees to pay. She waited a couple of years or so and went the mature student route.

UK - you have to do your last three years of education to get into uni as a standard UK student.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Here in NSW your son would currently be in Year 9 with that birthday (same as my son) if you had sent him to school "early", i.e. as soon as he was eligible to go, or Year 8 if you had kept him back until compulsory school age. The most important thing here is that he does his HSC (Higher School Certificate) which they do in Yr11/12 (it's a two year course with attendance/coursework requirements so although I'm sure it's not impossible, it would be better to make sure he did the full two years). So in theory he could start at the beginning of the next school year (end of Jan) and either do the full two years to School Certificate (Y9/10), or come in half way through. If he's reasonably bright he would probably do fine starting in Y10, your only issue might be finding a school with spaces in the electives he wanted to do at that stage and he would have to play catch up with history which seems to be solely Australian history here in those years. Also, if he is keen on European languages you might have to look carefully to make sure he can continue as you are as likely to find Mandarin or Japanese as choices here as you are to find French/German.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.