Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

..Mountain Bike Retailer's

..Mountain Bike Retailer's

Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Default ..Mountain Bike Retailer's

Hi there...Yeh I know its petty ,but it's next on me list to sort
I'm looking for shops or web pages around the Brisbane area's to buy a quality bike from?? any help will be a God send thanks in advance
Simon
Old Mar 27th 2006, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Sideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really nice
Default Re: ..Mountain Bike Retailer's

Hi SBUK, Unfortunatly we are hoping to move to melbourne, but just thought i'd let you know that its right up there on my list too, I thought about taking my current bike but i suppose its a good excuse to get a new one.
:scared:
Old Mar 27th 2006, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sideys
Hi SBUK, Unfortunatly we are hoping to move to melbourne, but just thought i'd let you know that its right up there on my list too, I thought about taking my current bike but i suppose its a good excuse to get a new one.
:scared:
It is, but good bikes are expensive. However, an Aus friend of mine who is a pro biker (cyclist) tells me to 'pick up a cheap Taiwanese import' for about $600. When he says 'cheap' it is a relative term given that he's a pro cyclist (tour de france etc) but he says not to bother with the top of the range $1000 dollar stuff as it all comes from the same factory.

HTH.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:18 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBUK
I'm looking for shops or web pages around the Brisbane area's to buy a quality bike from?? any help will be a God send thanks in advance
Simon

Simon, can highly recommend Tom Wallace Cycles at Lutwyche. very helpful staff. Other than that try yellow Pages site and type in bicycles etc.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:19 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
It is, but good bikes are expensive. However, an Aus friend of mine who is a pro biker (cyclist) tells me to 'pick up a cheap Taiwanese import' for about $600. When he says 'cheap' it is a relative term given that he's a pro cyclist (tour de france etc) but he says not to bother with the top of the range $1000 dollar stuff as it all comes from the same factory.

HTH.
A guy at work just bought one for $12000 and a mate of his nearly had a $15000 one knicked when their house was broken into.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Bloke
A guy at work just bought one for $12000 and a mate of his nearly had a $15000 one knicked when their house was broken into.

Ouch! That's a painful loss. It's not worth buying expensive bikes... If it does what you want it to do (ie - go forwards and change gear occasionally) there's no need to get a branded bike in Aus.

Do insure though. It's so cheap.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:09 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Simon, can highly recommend Tom Wallace Cycles at Lutwyche. very helpful staff. Other than that try yellow Pages site and type in bicycles etc.
I can fully second that - we bought two from there and they did us a deal, knocked a couple of hundred dollars off each. Great staff, great service and a good selection to choose from
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SBUK
Simon
Just a few cycling links for you...
Mountain Bike Australia
Bicycling Australia
Bicycles Network Australia

You might want to check them out for links. That last one has pretty good lists of bike shops all over the place.. look at the Shops> QLD link, I don't know which are near you. Can't give you any personal reccos, sorry not my area.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:42 am

Ouch! That's a painful loss. It's not worth buying expensive bikes... If it does what you want it to do (ie - go forwards and change gear occasionally) there's no need to get a branded bike in Aus.

Do insure though. It's so cheap.
Yeh, but these guys are the type were money is no option. The one where I work, really doesn't need to work, he's rolling in so much dough. His bike is IMPORTED especially from Europe, not through a dealer but direct to him. Ultra-lightweight frame etc.
The other guy made the Courier-Mail, was more worried about the bike than the other stuff that got knicked from inside the house. Can't remember exact details, but it as apparently one of a kind job (had BMW logos etc).
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Yeh, but these guys are the type were money is no option. The one where I work, really doesn't need to work, he's rolling in so much dough. His bike is IMPORTED especially from Europe, not through a dealer but direct to him. Ultra-lightweight frame etc.
The other guy made the Courier-Mail, was more worried about the bike than the other stuff that got knicked from inside the house. Can't remember exact details, but it as apparently one of a kind job (had BMW logos etc).

I think the trick is not to have anything that looks like it's worth stealing in this life. That way, you can still believe human beings aren't such a bad lot...

I plan to get a new bike as soon as I've got a rental and get riding down the fire trails every morning. I can't wait!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:56 am

Too true.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:05 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

I found Bike & Cycle Obsession very helpful.

293 Adelaide Street
Brisbane

07 3221 7228
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

http://www.classicbicycles.com.au

Lists all their retailers.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

there's no need to get a branded bike in Aus.
There is a huge market for branded European bikes in Oz!! All the top cycling shops in Oz sell top of the range European bikes (like Colnago, Bianchi, De Rosa, Pinarello etc). But yes, Taiwanese imports are far cheaper than Euro ones.

There is also a lot of 'snobbery' in the cycling scene - European is prestigious. Join up with any bunch ride in Melbourne and look at what people are riding!! My husband sold a £2500 bike in Melbourne to a guy who just wanted to potter up and down Beach Rd - my husband is a racer and the guy he sold it to reckoned he'd ride it once a week, once in a while!

We found components/spares very expensive in Oz - we used to buy things like tyres, chains, groupset components, etc from the Uk and have them shipped over - you don't pay VAT although you might get stung for customs duty and GST if Aussie customs open the parcel. Even paying the GST and import duty, it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying some things in Oz.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Thanks people...it's very good of you to spare the time..now it's time to look and dream