Mount Martha?

Old May 26th 2006, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

ASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura about
Default Mount Martha?

Thinking of Mount Martha, Melbourne early next winter, anyone living there?
any sort of gen would be appreciated, schools etc, standard of living..
Cheers, oh and whats the light pollution like cos ill need a BIG observatory in the rear garden sod a pool!
Old May 26th 2006, 7:16 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mount Martha?

Originally Posted by ASTROGAZ
Cheers, oh and whats the light pollution like cos ill need a BIG observatory in the rear garden sod a pool!
Hi there, do you mean next Melbourne winter, or next UK winter, if Melbourne winter we'll be joining you hopefully in the Mornington Peninsula area too.

Mybe introduce yourself on the British people in Victoria forum, this is at -

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx.

As far as stars go, I did ask this question before, here's the thread -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337855

Maybe I could bring some beers round and have a look through your scope when we're both living there!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 26th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mount Martha?

Hi

Can't help you with the schools very much as we don't have kids. But they area itself is very nice, we have only lived here since early April so unfortunately its been a bit hard what with the weather, early nights and work etc to explore much of the place. Its got a great beach and Mornington is only 5-10 minutes away and this has everything you need.

I don't know much about light pollution but I do know that when I take the dog for a walk at night its bloody dark and I need a torch to see where I am going and the stars look awesome.

If you need any info let us know.

John
Old May 26th 2006, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Thinking of Mount Martha,
not my kind of girl
Old May 27th 2006, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
We lived in Mt Martha for 8 months in 2003 - it is a beautiful area, lots of bush around there, and the beach is lovely but gets absolutely chocker in the summer. Standard of living is very good there, housing was pretty expensive there when we were there so probably still pretty pricey. There are a number of shops along the esplanade, there was a very good restaurant, some cafes, hairdressers, a small supermarket etc. As previous poster said, Mornington is a very short drive with a much bigger shopping centre and much busier, and Mt Eliza is further on which is a lovely village but a bit snooty, we felt. More expats seem to head for there, but we much prefered Mt Martha. Mt Eliza apparently has a very good school there which is maybe why many choose it, but we didnt have our kids whilst we were there, and we are on the Gold Coast now, so cant help much there.
Only thing we found when we were there (might have changed in 3 years) was that many of the houses there were holiday homes so it could be deathly quiet in the Winter.
Old May 27th 2006, 3:01 am
Just Joined

JoolsieE is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Mount Martha?

Hi there
We're from Scotland and have lived on the Mornington Peninsula for 8 months. We actually live in Mount Eliza - which is about 15mins along the coast from Mount Martha.
At first we were undecided between Mount Martha and Mt Eliza as they are not unlike each other. However if you look on the map you'll see that Mount Eliza doesn't have the Nepean Highway running through it - and that was the deciding factor for us as the Peninsula gets chock-a-block in the summer. It means that Mt Eliza and it's beaches stay nice and quiet and misses out on all the tourists - which is great 'cause we spent virtually every day of the summer at the beach.
We looked at Mount Martha Primary and also Kunyung Primary and out of the 2 we got a nicer feel for Kunyung. Chek out their website kunyungprimary.com.au It's a fabulous school, I have to say!
The only downside about Mount Eliza is that the houses are slightly more expensive than Mt Martha.
Either way, I reckon you'll do alright in Mount Martha, Mornington or Mount Eliza. The lifestyle here is wonderful and you're certain to love it!
Old May 27th 2006, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

ASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Mount Martha?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi there, do you mean next Melbourne winter, or next UK winter, if Melbourne winter we'll be joining you hopefully in the Mornington Peninsula area too.

Mybe introduce yourself on the British people in Victoria forum, this is at -

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx.

As far as stars go, I did ask this question before, here's the thread -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337855

Maybe I could bring some beers round and have a look through your scope when we're both living there!

Cheers

Buzzy
Buzzy , sorry for the confusion, its oz winter / june07 a friend of mine lives closer to the city and he recommended this area, we are def going cant waste an opportunity like this, and yes you are more than welcome to have a look through the scope, im heavily involved in astronomy in th UK, allthough not my proffession so its a huge factor for me, the night sky is an awesome experience with just a bit of understanding of whats up there makes it seem more fascinating...waffling sorry.. stay in touch..we are not geeks so dont worry,
Old May 27th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I love astronomy too! I'm looking forwards to the day when our house is built out in Riddells Creek as that is where my telescope lives already
Old May 27th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I love astronomy too! I'm looking forwards to the day when our house is built out in Riddells Creek as that is where my telescope lives already
Wow is there an astronomical society there or does everyone just do there own thing?
Old May 27th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow is there an astronomical society there or does everyone just do there own thing?
There is a society but I have never been along, they all seem too old for me from the pics

http://www.asv.org.au/ (Astronomical Society of Victoria) is probably the major one.
Old May 27th 2006, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

There is a society but I have never been along, they all seem too old for me from the pics

http://www.asv.org.au/ (Astronomical Society of Victoria) is probably the major one.
see what you mean!!! im sure thet know there stuff and would be a good source of help and info..I think?
Old May 27th 2006, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

see what you mean!!! im sure thet know there stuff and would be a good source of help and info..I think?
Yeah, you are probably right, I just can't bring myself to do it

What kind of telescope do you have?
Old May 27th 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JoolsieE
Hi there
We're from Scotland and have lived on the Mornington Peninsula for 8 months. We actually live in Mount Eliza - which is about 15mins along the coast from Mount Martha.
At first we were undecided between Mount Martha and Mt Eliza as they are not unlike each other. However if you look on the map you'll see that Mount Eliza doesn't have the Nepean Highway running through it - and that was the deciding factor for us as the Peninsula gets chock-a-block in the summer. It means that Mt Eliza and it's beaches stay nice and quiet and misses out on all the tourists - which is great 'cause we spent virtually every day of the summer at the beach.
We looked at Mount Martha Primary and also Kunyung Primary and out of the 2 we got a nicer feel for Kunyung. Chek out their website kunyungprimary.com.au It's a fabulous school, I have to say!
The only downside about Mount Eliza is that the houses are slightly more expensive than Mt Martha.
Either way, I reckon you'll do alright in Mount Martha, Mornington or Mount Eliza. The lifestyle here is wonderful and you're certain to love it!
My Kids will be 12 and 14 next year so too old for primary are there secondary schools in the area which are equally as good?
Old May 27th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, you are probably right, I just can't bring myself to do it

What kind of telescope do you have?
I have a 10" LX 200 classic and a 66mm triple apo william optics ,I use this scope for astro photography allthough its got an awesome field of view for wide field observing its a cracker, but for deep sky with a beer its my 10" it never misses and i couldnt be parted from it , wife and kids before my scope
What do you use?
Old May 27th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I have a 10" LX 200 classic and a 66mm triple apo william optics ,I use this scope for astro photography allthough its got an awesome field of view for wide field observing its a cracker, but for deep sky with a beer its my 10" it never misses and i couldnt be parted from it , wife and kids before my scope
What do you use?
I just have a Nexstar 4GT but 1 day I have big plans (so I had better get a well paying job )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.