Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

motorcycling in oz

Wikiposts

motorcycling in oz

Old Mar 27th 2005, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: motorcycling in oz

Originally Posted by webgum
my hubby's thinking of buying a bike to commute to work in Perth. Any body out there got any experiences of commuting this way. ie. wacky drivers, don't do it, yes, its the way to go etc etc

Ta!
I did that for about 3 years and never really had any troubles with the natives. Only the odd occasion when it rained was there any problems.

Just look out for the drivers who, like anywhere else on the planet, cannot see anything outside his/her narrow field of vision and most of them have no situational awareness, ie., they dunno where their car stops and the rest of the universe starts.

I was only pulled up by the cops a few times for roaring off the line of traffic. When they started to lecture me, I usually asked was I being pulled up for speeding and when the answer was no, I stated that I either got in front of the traffic or tried to stay behind it as it was safer, for me on a bike and better for the police, for me to be that way than have some poor copper scrape my remains off the road because some driver "hadn't seen me". That usually got my message across and they left.

Occasionally someone would do something stupid and once my heart resumed it usual rate I would move up alongside them in traffic (I rode a BM R100RT) and give them a long blast on the bike's dual tone airhorns, then just roll on the throttle :-)
Old Mar 27th 2005, 5:09 pm
Cut on the dotted line...

Location: In the midst of Melb, right a little, down a little
gadgetMan will become famous soon enough

Re Victoria..

Even if you do a Direct Access course and pass in the UK you will still be classed as Provisional in Victoria (ie be restricted to 260cc for 1yr). Vicroads checks the date of your pass and if it is less than a year they will put u on a provisional until it is a year from ur pass..

This shows that the driving licence agreement between the DVLA and Vicroads (ie like for like) for the fallicy that it is.. I mean how can you get a victorian licence if you havent even shown that you know their road laws (ie recent change to the no theory test required status)..

So when you get a parking ticket for parking on a nature strip after converting your ticket do you have grounds for appeal as you have not be proven to know the road laws in Victoria ??

Cheerio
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice

Originally Posted by gadgetMan
Re Victoria..

Even if you do a Direct Access course and pass in the UK you will still be classed as Provisional in Victoria (ie be restricted to 260cc for 1yr). Vicroads checks the date of your pass and if it is less than a year they will put u on a provisional until it is a year from ur pass..

This shows that the driving licence agreement between the DVLA and Vicroads (ie like for like) for the fallicy that it is.. I mean how can you get a victorian licence if you havent even shown that you know their road laws (ie recent change to the no theory test required status)..

So when you get a parking ticket for parking on a nature strip after converting your ticket do you have grounds for appeal as you have not be proven to know the road laws in Victoria ??

Cheerio

cheers

derek
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:02 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.vespa-house.com.au/et4.htm
http://www.vespaclub.com.au/

Try these
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice

Originally Posted by Perthforme

thanks
derek and kate.