Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

motorcycling in oz

motorcycling in oz

Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice
Default motorcycling in oz

hello everyone

does anyone know about biking in oz? basically, what are the restrictions
applying to the size of bike etc. and what tests do we have to take. at present we both ride 125cc vespas and kate wants to continue but i want to ride a big bike. neither of us have done full bike test. both have done cbt but kate only has provisional car license. also are bikes and scooters expensive out there?

thanks

derek
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

fenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: motorcycling in oz

he he i was about to post on a similar subject, i have no english licence but id like to get a bike in aus when i go out next month, is it possible to do a test out there while im on a WHV? not after riding anything big just something to get me around.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice

Originally Posted by fenix
he he i was about to post on a similar subject, i have no english licence but id like to get a bike in aus when i go out next month, is it possible to do a test out there while im on a WHV? not after riding anything big just something to get me around.

sorry fenix,what is a whv?
derek
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kateandderek
derek

just clicked, working holiday visa, sorry
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

fenix is an unknown quantity at this point

derek
sorry, working holiday visa
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:53 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do a bike test if your out there on a perm visa not whv but do a intesive one in uk b4 u go and you will be fine should cost £400-£500 well worth it cant beat 2wheels
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

does a uk bike license apply in oz? i'm sure i've seen somewhere on this site that a uk car license only lasts for a while then you have to upgrade to oz licence

derek
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:18 pm

does a uk bike license apply in oz? i'm sure i've seen somewhere on this site that a uk car license only lasts for a while then you have to upgrade to oz licence

derek
yes` for 3 months but get a international one from the rac and thats good for a year !
I know wa now u just show your uk one and they give you oz one after you pay for it of course no more theory tests
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:23 pm
JJ

JJ will become famous soon enoughJJ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Perthforme
yes` for 3 months but get a international one from the rac and thats good for a year !
I know wa now u just show your uk one and they give you oz one after you pay for it of course no more theory tests
So to clarify If we get perm visas we can just buy Oz bike and car licenses with no retest??
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that.
i think i will wait 'til i'm in oz and do the test there

derek
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:31 pm

WA changed their way to give uk licence holders in jan and now yes will just get you to fill in a form and pay for the licence IE NO theory test. you will be able to drive the same as you do in uk but need to take a test for car, bike truck if you cant drive them now in uk ok
Others states may still theory test !
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:36 pm

WA guys look at
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

anyone know about q/land and scooters

derek
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:49 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about other states but here in Victoria the rules are:

A full UK Licence (including motorcycle) is swapped over for just a fee, no test as long as you have had the category on your licence for three months prior to arriving.

The international driving permit is only designed to provide a translation of your foreign licence if it is not issued in an English speaking country, it does not extend or in any way alter the requirements for changing to an Aussie licence, I tried that one a few years ago and was bluntly told by the Policeman that as I already had an English Licence which he could read there was no need or use in having one.

Victorian requirements are here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...10005F322?open

In short if you are on a non permanent visa you can drive on your UK licence indefintely here. If you have a permanent visa you have three months from arriving in Victoria to get a local licence (Having an IDP does not extend this to twelve months) or if you are on a temporary visa which gets converted to a permanent visawhilst you are here you have three months from the date it becomes permanent.

Info on motorcycle licences here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...900144E25?open

I would say if you can do an intensive course in the UK and get a full unrestricted licence (not sure what the rules there are these days, I got back in the days of Pt1/Pt2 and buy as big a bike as you like)

If you go the learner route here even when you get your full licence, for 12 months you are restricted to 260cc, no pillion passengers and zero blood alcohol content.

The links above should explain but check other states as they may be different.

Queensland Licensing website here:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/licensingrego

And a leaflet they issue on overseas drivers here:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/home.nsf/ReferenceLookup/Driver_licence_information_for_overseas_people.pdf/$file/Driver_licence_information_for_overseas_people.pdf

Last edited by Flying Banana; Mar 27th 2005 at 9:05 pm. Reason: Add information
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:55 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

my hubby's thinking of buying a bike to commute to work in Perth. Any body out there got any experiences of commuting this way. ie. wacky drivers, don't do it, yes, its the way to go etc etc

Ta!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.