Motorcycle test

Old Apr 26th 2003, 5:56 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Motorcycle test

I have heard i would have to re-take my driving test after 3 months of arriving, but will i have to re-take my motorcycle test as well. As i'm bringing my pride and joy with me?
Old Apr 26th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

theory only in queensland. ive sold my pride and joy, bikeless for the first time in years.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

dont worry bikes are cheap here.

Chris.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

NSW you only need to do the theory. Hubby did his no probs and uses his bike to and from work in city.

Mandy
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm planning to do my bike test soon (can only drive a car at the moment). What's the best thing to do??? Pass here in the UK then just do the theory in Oz, or do the whole thing in Oz when I get there?

Just wondered if it might be easier, cheaper etc. in Oz.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by cruisey
I'm planning to do my bike test soon (can only drive a car at the moment). What's the best thing to do??? Pass here in the UK then just do the theory in Oz, or do the whole thing in Oz when I get there?

Just wondered if it might be easier, cheaper etc. in Oz.
Hi Cruisy,

My hubby has just taken his theory test and CBT just last week (he passed)!! He's going to do his direct access May/June time. If you pass your test in Oz you are limited to ride 125's for 2 years where as if you pass in the UK you're not restricted in anyway. My hubby definetly advises to do your test over here if you want to ride something decent in Oz!!!!
Hope this helps, Jane
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Each States bike test is different. I am in Oz and looking to taking my first ever bike test at age 44.

Here in South Australia if you don't already have a UK licence I would assume you would have to start as I am - 4 hours theory, followed by 4 hours practical - then limited to a max 250cc bike for at least 16 months. The initial tests are to gain a learners permit then are followed up by another test 4 months later.

If you are over 30 years of age and in NSW you can take your test and then drive any size bike.

I would suggest if it is more advantageous to you to take the test in the UK - for instance beacuse you want a bigger bike and depending on which State you intend to live in - the take it, you may only have to do the theory here.

Mike Peters had a large bike and had the relevant licence in the UK. He has recently had to sit both practical and theory here in SA to get his bike licence. PM him - he knows more than I do!!! He is driving some big beastie red thing about now!
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Gibson
Hi Cruisy,

My hubby has just taken his theory test and CBT just last week (he passed)!! He's going to do his direct access May/June time. If you pass your test in Oz you are limited to ride 125's for 2 years where as if you pass in the UK you're not restricted in anyway. My hubby definetly advises to do your test over here if you want to ride something decent in Oz!!!!
Hope this helps, Jane
Some background info :-

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...ctober2000.pdf

http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/Home/HomePage.asp

Good luck with the tests.

Julian (Mandy's Hubby)
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Right, that settles it. I'll take it here, don't want to have to mess about on a 125. I want a decent size bike so we can have a comfortable cruise around seeing the sights.

Gibson, did your hubby buy any kit (helmet, gloves, leathers etc.) or is the instructor supplying that so he can buy what he wants in Oz?

Last edited by cruisey; Apr 27th 2003 at 1:26 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Right, that settles it. I'll take it here, don't want to have to mess about on a 125. I want a decent size bike so we can have a comfortable cruise around seeing the sights.

Gibson, did your hubby buy any kit (helmet, gloves, leathers etc.) or is the instructor supplying that so he can buy what he wants in Oz?
Regards kit, the safety standards for helmets for Oz are different so a helmet bought in the UK may not be legal in Oz, so wouldn't get the helmet, as for leathers and stuff its personal preference - Neil says he wants the colour scheme to match his bike so will wait till he gets there to see what bike he gets! Poser!
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Talking

Regards kit, the safety standards for helmets for Oz are different so a helmet bought in the UK may not be legal in Oz, so wouldn't get the helmet, as for leathers and stuff its personal preference - Neil says he wants the colour scheme to match his bike so will wait till he gets there to see what bike he gets! Poser!
Great, thanks. I think I'll do the same........
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thanks. I think I'll do the same........
Forgot to ask where you're heading, we're going to Perth, hopefully August/September time..
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Forgot to ask where you're heading, we're going to Perth, hopefully August/September time..
To be honest, not sure!!! We like Queensland but have never been to Brizzy. So, what we plan to do is go to Brizzy and if we haven't found work (or don't like it) after 12 months we'll head down to NSW.

Not been to Perth, might check it out when we validate our visas, if we ever get the things!.......
Old Apr 27th 2003, 8:36 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Bike test

Originally posted by andie
theory only in queensland. ive sold my pride and joy, bikeless for the first time in years.
thanks andie. sell my belongings, quit my job, move half way round the world, but theres no way i'm giving up my bike.
Been on to some Aus bike dealers, they don't see any problems regarding parts etc,so that's ok.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys what bikes do you have or are thinking of getting?
I have a fireblade here but am thinking of getting a trails bike when we get to brisbane, maybe a bit of off-roading in the bush!

Terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.