Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle licensing quandary - any ideas?

Motorcycle licensing quandary - any ideas?

Old Jan 12th 2006, 11:45 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Motorcycle licensing quandary - any ideas?

Back in the UK I rode a 125 on L's for many years on my car license. Coming to Aus, this wasn't recognised and I've had to go through the motions of the L and P training (seems to be sufficient to be able to navigate a few road cones without falling off), but having done all that, I seem to have fallen into a trap for non-australians.

The rules state those over 30 and holders of, or those with the right to hold a NSW Gold license may proceed directly to a proper bike. The problem is, this would require me to have held an NSW license for 5 years, which I haven't.

Had I done my UK CBT I'd be allowed to ride a proper bike right away - which made me wonder - can I get the DVLA to issue me a bike license on the basis that I've done the Oz equivalent training/testing?

Cheers for any thoughts on this,
Alex
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:16 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Motorcycle licensing quandary - any ideas?

Originally Posted by 4lex
Back in the UK I rode a 125 on L's for many years on my car license. Coming to Aus, this wasn't recognised and I've had to go through the motions of the L and P training (seems to be sufficient to be able to navigate a few road cones without falling off), but having done all that, I seem to have fallen into a trap for non-australians.

The rules state those over 30 and holders of, or those with the right to hold a NSW Gold license may proceed directly to a proper bike. The problem is, this would require me to have held an NSW license for 5 years, which I haven't.

Had I done my UK CBT I'd be allowed to ride a proper bike right away - which made me wonder - can I get the DVLA to issue me a bike license on the basis that I've done the Oz equivalent training/testing?

Alex
So if for example you came back to the UK, did your CBT, you'd be sorted?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:27 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Some Info
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:33 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Ah, looks like I'd actually have to do a 'Direct Access' course in the UK for that to work. Looking more and more like I'm stuck on the baby ninja for the next year
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Alex
Hello Alex

I got my 125 licence transfered in Perth and they gave me a full motorbike licence last year. Didn't even have to do a computer test. Then I got myself a nice new 650cc Hyosung comet. Very fast. How fast? Well I wasn't sure until the nice police man told me I was doing 97 in a 70 zone last week.

6 points and $150 fine.

Keel
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:42 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, looks like I'd actually have to do a 'Direct Access' course in the UK for that to work. Looking more and more like I'm stuck on the baby ninja for the next year
I looked into all this last year - I did a CBT in the UK last year and was looking at doing the direct access course (DAS) but it was so expensive when compared to the route provided by the RTA in NSW. If you have a look for the thread, you will see that I worked it all out and in real terms the difference was about £600-700. Also, the NSW RTA will insist that you have P plates if you have held a licence (bike) for less than a year.

In NSW, the RTA have a list of appropriate bikes that you can ride on different plates, and that you can do the tests on. Some of them are quite powerful - 5-600 cc, which was more than I was willing to learn on. Check out the list then try and get hold of one of those bikes.

Needless to say, they will no doubt be much more expensive than the ones not on the list...

S