British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Motorcycle License - Queensland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/motorcycle-license-queensland-486890/)

sla453 Oct 12th 2007 3:48 pm

Motorcycle License - Queensland

Hi,

Would like to do my motorcycle license.. Is it better to do it here before we leave for Oz, or wait until I get there?

Ta..

martin4414 Oct 12th 2007 4:39 pm

Re: Motorcycle License - Queensland

Originally Posted by sla453 (Post 5417454)
Hi,

Would like to do my motorcycle license.. Is it better to do it here before we leave for Oz, or wait until I get there?

Ta..

Hello

Ive heard that you need to have your licence for 2 years before going to oz or its useless, so ive heard.

Hope this helps

Martin

sla453 Oct 12th 2007 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by martin4414 (Post 5417590)
Hello

Ive heard that you need to have your licence for 2 years before going to oz or its useless, so ive heard.

Hope this helps

Martin

Blimey - best get pedaling then..

Cheers..

chris96 Oct 12th 2007 5:34 pm

I had my bike licence for 15 odd months and i had no problem getting it transferred, never questioned or checked it!

Chris

martin4414 Oct 12th 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by chris96 (Post 5417829)
I had my bike licence for 15 odd months and i had no problem getting it transferred, never questioned or checked it!

Chris

Like i said what i heard ?

how you finding it have you got a bike out there ??

Martin

Soon to be there:thumbup:

>Trigger< Oct 12th 2007 8:33 pm

Dont know what the latest training situation is in the uk...but here's the Qride page for motorcycle training in Queensland.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ourses/Q_ride/

alipally Oct 12th 2007 9:00 pm

OH is doing his motorbike training now...
He had to take a theory test of 50 questions, plus a hazard perception test on where you watch 5 different driving simulations and identify the potential hazards on the road.

He has had 4 full days of driving tuition on a 500cc motorbike with professional instructors doing u turns, emergency stops and general driving.
This includes all aspects of riding and the test is 40 minutes riding with all of the manouvres included in the test.

A friend of ours passed his bike test 20 years ago... the examiner stood at the end of the road and he rode his bike up to the traffic lights, around the island and back... he passed!!! (unsurprisingly!)

So the training is at least as good as that in QLD, but he's hoping that by doing it here, he won't have to do it again once we're there!

Ali x

>Trigger< Oct 12th 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 5418552)
OH is doing his motorbike training now...
He had to take a theory test of 50 questions, plus a hazard perception test on where you watch 5 different driving simulations and identify the potential hazards on the road.

He has had 4 full days of driving tuition on a 500cc motorbike with professional instructors doing u turns, emergency stops and general driving.
This includes all aspects of riding and the test is 40 minutes riding with all of the manouvres included in the test.

A friend of ours passed his bike test 20 years ago... the examiner stood at the end of the road and he rode his bike up to the traffic lights, around the island and back... he passed!!! (unsurprisingly!)

So the training is at least as good as that in QLD, but he's hoping that by doing it here, he won't have to do it again once we're there!

Ali x

Once you have passed your bike test in the UK,it's just a case of swapping your licence over when you get here..in Queensland anyway,not sure of the other states.

Clippy Oct 13th 2007 7:40 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5418571)
Once you have passed your bike test in the UK,it's just a case of swapping your licence over when you get here..in Queensland anyway,not sure of the other states.

I'd heard you had to have held your uk licence for 2 years before you could swap too - my husband has been putting off doing it here as we're due over there in January and thought it was pointless if he had to hold licence for two years :unsure:

can't remember where I heard it though

alipally Oct 13th 2007 8:22 am

OH will be gutted if he has to do it again!

benny the ball Oct 13th 2007 8:41 am

People migth be getting confused over the power output restrictions. If you are under 21 (I think), you have to do your test on a low powered machine (typically 125cc) and can only ride bikes with this lower power for two years, basically your licence is restricted until your two years are up. If you are over 21 you can do a direct access exam where you take the exam on a bike with higher power output (typically 500cc). When you pass this you have a full bike licence and can ride anything (rush out, buy a busa and kill yourself on the first bend!). If you have the full unrestricted licence it should swap over no problem, the only problem I can see is if you have the restricted licence and there isnt the equivalent in Queensland.

Clippy Oct 13th 2007 11:41 am

So if you had just got your licence, then arrived in Queensland a month later you could just swap it straight over do you think?

I know I've asked this before but can't find the thread and can't remember the answer.

martin4414 Oct 13th 2007 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies (Post 5420158)
So if you had just got your licence, then arrived in Queensland a month later you could just swap it straight over do you think?

I know I've asked this before but can't find the thread and can't remember the answer.

I didnt know you were a biker or is it a fetish for the leather :eek:

are you there yet ??

Clippy Oct 13th 2007 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by martin4414 (Post 5421023)
I didnt know you were a biker or is it a fetish for the leather :eek:

are you there yet ??

Lol, nah I only got as far as my cbt then found out I was pregnant and had to sell my bike - that was 5 years ago and haven't had the confidence to get back on. Dale's always wanted to do his direct access though, just other stuff's got in the way.

No we're not there yet, we fly out New Year's Day OMG! :eek: When you off Martin?

martin4414 Oct 13th 2007 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies (Post 5421049)
Lol, nah I only got as far as my cbt then found out I was pregnant and had to sell my bike - that was 5 years ago and haven't had the confidence to get back on. Dale's always wanted to do his direct access though, just other stuff's got in the way.

No we're not there yet, we fly out New Year's Day OMG! :eek: When you off Martin?

November 28th cant wait just sorted it all out

Cant wait to buy me a new bike though had sell my babby (bike that is in jan ) miss it loads

Been looking though the wife not to chuffed

Keep it touch

Martin